By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Doing Great, but it's a different story for Sony - Losses 18% greater than forecast at $1.3 billion for year

This is exactly why I shake my head when people think playstation 4 will have a ton of AAA exclusives. You can't use playstations past performance because sony was never in this bad of a financial situation. There is a reason sony is pushing so hard for indie games a rehashes/hd remakes of 10 month old games, smaller budget.

Around the Network

Good to hear about gaming division but not much else. They have been trying to cut out unprofitable and niche products in the past year or so. Just not able to do that fast enough. I know super niche market but recently they also stopped support for their e-readers. Got to port my account to Kobo now.

They generally do make solid products, like recently with their camera line of Nex 3N, etc. It is just that most of the market segments are shrinking and for the remaining market share, there are usually better alternatives in the competing price range.

kowenicki said:

Oh look, yet another down grade of their forecast. Its not even funny any more. They do it, time and time and time again.

3 different profit ewarnigns in 6 months, each worse than the last?

Start the year with a very bright and positive outlook and then 2 or 3 times during the year they reduce those estimations sometimes only weeks apart. How can you be so wrong and then so wrong again within a few weeks? Looks like that CFO they fired was replaced with a man just as stupid.

This has happened every year for the last 6 years.

When you think about the financial picture, its really not the loss that is a big issue.  Its the company stating they will make a profit then having to come back and state they will have a big loss.  Most of the losses are one time charges to the business which isn't going to really have a permanent effect.  I have to agree that is very worrying that Sony would make such estimates only to then come back and state these type of losses.  

NiKKoM said:

There is only one that can save Sony

for this year..

Good lord, he saved the poor puppies stuck in the top of the Empire State... Well, Daily Bugle headline will probably be "Spider-man throws puppies from the top of the Empire State". 

guess they forgot to sell a building this time

Around the Network
celador said:

It seems like common sense to expect that yes, but Sony's projections are all over the place it seems,  expecting to make a profit less than half a year ago and now releasing these results

Yet their financial services division is doing best of all the company!

true_fan said:
This is exactly why I shake my head when people think playstation 4 will have a ton of AAA exclusives. You can't use playstations past performance because sony was never in this bad of a financial situation. There is a reason sony is pushing so hard for indie games a rehashes/hd remakes of 10 month old games, smaller budget.

So now that the PS4 is almost immediately profitable, rather than losing several billion like the PS3, they are going to suddenly cut development of AAA titles? Seems legit.

Your comment seems especially odd considering they have already announced multiple AAA titles (one of which just released a couple of weeks ago), as well as numerous of their 1st party studios having been confirmed to be working on PS4 titles. 

I should also note that Sony's financial aren't the worst they have been. Things are still pretty grim, but a $1.3 billion loss inflated by a restructuring is an awful lot better than those $3 billion to $6 billion yearly losses they were making (dat 2011).

Zekkyou said:
true_fan said:

So now that the PS4 is almost immediately profitable, rather than losing several billion like the PS3, they are going to suddenly cut development of AAA titles? Seems legit.

Your comment seems especially odd considering they have already announced multiple AAA titles (one of which just released a couple of weeks ago), as well as numerous of their 1st party studios having been confirmed to be working on PS4 titles. 

I should also note that Sony's financial aren't the worst they have been. Things are still pretty grim, but a $1.3 billion loss inflated by a restructuring is an awful lot better than those $3 billion to $6 billion yearly losses they were making (dat 2011).

I don't think you understand how business works, playstation does not fund playstation products, Sony the company does. It is profit from their other businesses that allows them to crate products for their playstation business. Sony is not a gaming company like Nintendo, sony is more like Microsoft.

true_fan said:
Zekkyou said:
true_fan said:

I don't think you understand how business works, playstation does not fund playstation products, Sony the company does. It is profit from their other businesses that allows them to crate products for their playstation business. Sony is not a gaming company like Nintendo, sony is more like Microsoft.

What does that even mean? You're just making stuff up just to justify your baseless argument. Sony earns money from people subscribing to PS+ and people purchasing games for the PS4.

true_fan said:
Zekkyou said:

I never said anything to the to the contrary, i'm just pointing out that it doesn't make much scene for a business to cut funding to one of the divisions actually pulling them in a profit and that Sony itself is not taking loses as large as it was a few years ago (as appose to what you said).

Anyway, that's all irrelevant. This isn't a "will they, won't they" situation, since they already are. We know they are working on several AAA titles, and have seen multiple of them. In-fact they are working on more AAA titles for the PS4 right now than they were for the PS3 during it's first year. Seeing as how many titles the PS3 ended up with i'd say that's nothing but a good sign ^^