By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No E3 Conference for Nintendo this year - Mistake or not?

Should there be a Nintendo E3 conference?

Yes, absolutely, crazy for not bothering! 354 50.79%

No, they don't need one and the ND suffices 162 23.24%

I'll wait to see how it all goes 178 25.54%

Total:694

I see lot's of people ignoring the fact they called it DIGITAL EVENT. it's most likely bigger than last year direct, wich was already great.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Pavolink said:
oniyide said:
again. Why not do both? not being at e3 sends a message that Ninty isnt taking this whole thing seriously and in turn people wont take them seriously. Doesnt matter what some forum goers say. a ND is not a substitute as the people watching does are Ninty fans already. But hey they can do what they want. But im thinking we arent going to see much new if anything at E3

Thumps up. People need to wake up and see the reality. Just because some are ok doesn't mean everyone else is. Companies moves by interests and press is not interest anymore in cover Nintendo.

ND are watched by us, Nintendo fans, and we will watch a live conference or a pre-recorded ND, but not anyone else. Most prefer those conferences, crappy or good.

I still fail to see the difference. The prerecorded experience is superior for those watching at home, and the journalists still get their cake too! All that's missing is a live audience reaction. Don't make me pull my Big Bang Theory clip back out again...

All that is missing is an audience reaction? What about perception?

Because as a Nintendo fan my perception is nothing but negative. For ND I have all the year, E3 was were the big bombs where to be showed. Now this is like another video, just like january, feb, or october or any other month. Now, why waste on a pre-recorded video? Just release a pr and show images.

This is again the "how". About the marketing.

Skipping last year create a lot of bad negative articles, just like today. Many people don't come and talk with us or watches live streams, just read news, and the news they are reading right now is that Nintendo won't held a conference and thus there won't be anything worth to watch.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Einsam_Delphin said:
Pavolink said:

If that was the case sales will have bumped already.

I don't see how people liking a presentation format over another one has anything to do with sales. Seeing how the Gamecube still floundered, it further shows that the presentation format really does not matter in terms of sales.

And what about the Wii?

People get excited for the conference ---> People go in droves to the booth to play it ----> Hype throught the roof for the ones watching -----> everyone buys it.

This cannot hurt, or can it?

The only problem I have with this...

...is the inevitable stream lag issue. Otherwise, screw E3 conferences. They have a tendency to under-deliver (that's putting it nicely).

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

LiquorandGunFun said:
Its worked so well after the last one they skipped.
Do shit that makes no sense or could help out nintendo, that is the way they make decisions there, I dont want to be cynical this time, because its horribly true.

Yeah because not having a E3 conference is the reason the Wii U fails...

If having a E3 conference is all you need to compete, why wasnt the gamecube able to compete with the PS2?

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Pavolink said:

If that was the case sales will have bumped already.

I don't see how people liking a presentation format over another one has anything to do with sales. Seeing how the Gamecube still floundered, it further shows that the presentation format really does not matter in terms of sales.

And what about the Wii?

People get excited for the conference ---> People go in droves to the booth to play it ----> Hype throught the roof for the ones watching -----> everyone buys it.

This cannot hurt, or can it?

Yes the succes of the Wii was solely because of an E3 conference and had absolutely nothing to do with it's revolutionary motion controls! Or, was it the other way around?

Einsam_Delphin said:

Yes the succes of the Wii was solely because of an E3 conference and had absolutely nothing to do with it's revolutionary motion controls! Or, was it the other way around?

No it wasn't as I wasn't implying that. Or do I?

Motion controls alone won't have sold the Wii, it was the hype, the marketing, the games, the promotion, the booth, the E3 2006. Everything as a whole helped the Wii.

S.Peelman said:

It never said specifically there's no real conference, but I agree it doesn't look like there will be. Which is greatly disappointing.

The Directs are nice, but it doesn't have the same feeling a live conference would have. One where you hear the crowd's response, one that has the charms and sometimes awkwardness of the informal interactions between the people. How can they see the 2004 conference and not feel the urge to replicate such an experience? It's never going to happen with a digital presentation. Viewers won't get as connected and involved and it'll never get as much attention as a real stage show.

I find it hard to believe they would have nothing to show. Again. Even if they in fact didn't, they have Zelda this year, or at least, we'd assume so, and that's half the conference right there. Surely they have enough to fill that other half-hour. All these other things are fine, but are just that; side-stuff. I don't understand why they're so reluctant at coming out guns blazin'.

I just rewatched that moment. Still got goosebumps.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Pavolink said:
Mr Khan said:
Pavolink said:
oniyide said:
again. Why not do both? not being at e3 sends a message that Ninty isnt taking this whole thing seriously and in turn people wont take them seriously. Doesnt matter what some forum goers say. a ND is not a substitute as the people watching does are Ninty fans already. But hey they can do what they want. But im thinking we arent going to see much new if anything at E3

Thumps up. People need to wake up and see the reality. Just because some are ok doesn't mean everyone else is. Companies moves by interests and press is not interest anymore in cover Nintendo.

ND are watched by us, Nintendo fans, and we will watch a live conference or a pre-recorded ND, but not anyone else. Most prefer those conferences, crappy or good.

I still fail to see the difference. The prerecorded experience is superior for those watching at home, and the journalists still get their cake too! All that's missing is a live audience reaction. Don't make me pull my Big Bang Theory clip back out again...

All that is missing is an audience reaction? What about perception?

Because as a Nintendo fan my perception is nothing but negative. For ND I have all the year, E3 was were the big bombs where to be showed. Now this is like another video, just like january, feb, or october or any other month. Now, why waste on a pre-recorded video? Just release a pr and show images.

This is again the "how". About the marketing.

Skipping last year create a lot of bad negative articles, just like today. Many people don't come and talk with us or watches live streams, just read news, and the news they are reading right now is that Nintendo won't held a conference and thus there won't be anything worth to watch.

Perception is immaterial. If they deliver the goods, nobody's going to give a fuck how it was done.

Last year they had some good games, but showed them off pretty poorly (Donkey Kong was unexpected in a negative way, and they made both the spectacular Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 look humdrum, especially bad in 3D World's case). If they had put the October ND trailer for 3D World and Mario Kart 8 Press Event trailer for MK8 in that direct, as well as come out face-forward with Cranky Kong and how DKCTF was going to be "epic", then the perception of the show would have been totally different.

And if the media is going out there creating bad press, then it's Nintendo's job to counteract that. Find all the negative articles and get in touch with their writers. Say "we want to invite you to the Treehouse event and the Smash Bros tournament."

Nobody needs to follow the crowd to create the perception that you're working hard. You just have to work hard. Nintendo's not at fault for doing things differently, but for doing things differently and failing to explain why. They should be making the arguments that i'm making, educating the people who think this is some sort of capitulation.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

Perception is immaterial. If they deliver the goods, nobody's going to give a fuck how it was done.

Last year they had some good games, but showed them off pretty poorly (Donkey Kong was unexpected in a negative way, and they made both the spectacular Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 look humdrum, especially bad in 3D World's case). If they had put the October ND trailer for 3D World and Mario Kart 8 Press Event trailer for MK8 in that direct, as well as come out face-forward with Cranky Kong and how DKCTF was going to be "epic", then the perception of the show would have been totally different.

And if the media is going out there creating bad press, then it's Nintendo's job to counteract that. Find all the negative articles and get in touch with their writers. Say "we want to invite you to the Treehouse event and the Smash Bros tournament."

Nobody needs to follow the crowd to create the perception that you're working hard. You just have to work hard. Nintendo's not at fault for doing things differently, but for doing things differently and failing to explain why. They should be making the arguments that i'm making, educating the people who think this is some sort of capitulation.

I agree at some extent that if you deliver it doesn't matter perception. Problem is that Nintendo is enough lazy at the directs to put a terrible trailer and then waste time at how Peach can hold on few seconds in the air, like that was more important than a good trailer. Normally, at E3 they put effort to impress and release very good trailers, for example Kid Icarus, Galaxy 2 and Other M. Of course there are bad ones like Skyward Sword, but looks like the exception and not the norm.

Perception has been also very important. Perception of a health company make some invest in that. Perception on a little pretty girl make you ask for a date. Perception of an epic trailer makes you buy the game or at least look for more info. You cannot say simplym that.

Marketing has always been an important factor. When Nintendo has a godly marketing team Wii/DS were unstoppable, but once started to suck the sales declined. Some believes it was because the "natural" cycle for a console, and I agree at some point, but also the lack of marketing and of course games to market.