By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No E3 Conference for Nintendo this year - Mistake or not?

Should there be a Nintendo E3 conference?

Yes, absolutely, crazy for not bothering! 354 50.79%

No, they don't need one and the ND suffices 162 23.24%

I'll wait to see how it all goes 178 25.54%

Total:694
Zero999 said:
Daisuke72 said:
Yikes, terrible mistake. They're gonna get less coverage no matter what they show. My friends who are casual watch E3, they're not gonna go on their comp to watch a stream.

bolded: then how do they watch E3?

their consoles also had the stream directly linked on the UI

You could watch it directly from the360 in a tile and the same for ps

anymore questions?

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Mr Khan said:
Pavolink said:

Thumps up. People need to wake up and see the reality. Just because some are ok doesn't mean everyone else is. Companies moves by interests and press is not interest anymore in cover Nintendo.

ND are watched by us, Nintendo fans, and we will watch a live conference or a pre-recorded ND, but not anyone else. Most prefer those conferences, crappy or good.

I still fail to see the difference. The prerecorded experience is superior for those watching at home, and the journalists still get their cake too! All that's missing is a live audience reaction. Don't make me pull my Big Bang Theory clip back out again...

Except not as many will watch it as they would a conference.  Nintendo directs are not mainstream, E3 is.

i fail to see how the distribution is different, though. If more people are watching on twitch, get a feed on twitch, if more people are watching on Spike TV, just broadcast the video on Spike TV.

There's no reason for a prerecorded event to be inherently inferior in terms of audience exposure. Arguably it's easier to just send the video out to countless net distributors. Set an embargo time and make sure that the distributors don't make the video live until that time. That way everyone watches, and it still creates hype, without having the bother of an overblown stage show.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Daisuke72 said:
Zero999 said:
Daisuke72 said:
Yikes, terrible mistake. They're gonna get less coverage no matter what they show. My friends who are casual watch E3, they're not gonna go on their comp to watch a stream.

bolded: then how do they watch E3?

their consoles also had the stream directly linked on the UI

You could watch it directly from the360 in a tile and the same for ps

anymore questions?

Then how would they watch Nintendo's E3?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

outlawauron said:
RolStoppable said:
outlawauron said:

Of course not. E3 press conference just have the most eyes on them. Directs show good things but the live viewers barely were over 150k. Sony's E3 had over 15 million people watching it on twitch's stream alone. I just think they'd be able to get more people to look at the upcoming Wii U/3DS stuff if they did the conference.

I've seen a couple people reference this "15 million" number. Where did that come from?
Twitch's ENTIRE website only got 9.4 million unique views throughout the entire 4 day 2013 conference.

Sony's stream had 430k unique viewers, with peak concurrent viewership of 190K. Not a ludicrous 15 million.

http://pixelenemy.com/twitch-releases-its-e3-2013-stream-data-more-unique-viewers-for-sony-press-conference-than-for-microsoft-press-conference/

I can't find stats on Nintendo's Direct, but it had over 500K views in the first day it was put on Youtube. Now on their channel the direct has 1.7 million views while on Sony's streamed presentation on their channel has 2.3 million.

I don't know if in the scheme of things it will make a considerable difference, but honestly I'm underwhelmed by the lack of a press conference.

I'll be watching the Microsoft and Sony conferences live, as I almost always do; maybe I'll hit the digital event live too, though right now my expectations have been lowered and I'm not really hyped.
I think it would have been news for them to come back to the stage, and it would send a message that even if they aren't direct competitors they at least think their product deserves the same spotlight.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

It's all about impressions, even if the content is the same.

Physically being there (and I mean, physically present something) reinforces the notion that you are involved. That the viewer is part of it. Even for the average internet-viewer like us. They will recognize effort had gone into it, they will recognize they are part of a bigger thing and there will be less of a notion that there's a barrier between them as a viewer and the company and people that is Nintendo. It feels personal. Even if only subconsciously. Reaching out a hand generates sympathy. It generates good press, it creates a bond. These things then indirectly translate into consumer confedence, followed by sales, followed by loyalty.

A pre-recorded video could never do all that, because it doesn't feel 'real', and the barrier remains. Bad press is created in response. So it's not about the potential content, it's about the impression that's given. This is not rocket science.

+1000

It's like people don't want to understand.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Its not a mistake, because they simply cannot compete with MS/Sony. They will have a console based on 2005 tech, while both Sony and Microsoft will show off massive, AAA, big-budget action games, that actually look and feel like 2014 games, tech wise.

If they can please the core gamer with games, they will be able to do so online too. No need a multi-million presentation for that

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Skidonti said:

I don't know if in the scheme of things it will make a considerable difference, but honestly I'm underwhelmed by the lack of a press conference.

I'll be watching the Microsoft and Sony conferences live, as I almost always do; maybe I'll hit the digital event live too, though right now my expectations have been lowered and I'm not really hyped.
I think it would have been news for them to come back to the stage, and it would send a message that even if they aren't direct competitors they at least think their product deserves the same spotlight.

Your profile says you live in the U.S. You're not interested in playing SSB4 then? D:

Also, just cause they're not doing a press conference does not mean the content will be different from usual. See last year's E3!

Einsam_Delphin said:
Skidonti said:

Your profile says you live in the U.S. You're not interested in playing SSB4 then? D:

This topic is specifically  about the press conference/lack thereof. I'm kind of treating the Best Buy and Smash invitational events as separate.

...And I also did not hear about those additions until I actually watched Nintendo's announcement video a few minutes ago. Which lifted my spirits because I absolutely am going to play SSB4!!

Skidonti said:

This topic is specifically  about the press conference/lack thereof. I'm kind of treating the Best Buy and Smash invitational events as separate.

...And I also did not hear about those additions until I actually watched Nintendo's announcement video a few minutes ago. Which lifted my spirits because I absolutely am going to play SSB4!!

Well we have no other thread to discuss this news in general. Also those were mentioned in this very thread's OP!

And yeah, that's what I thought!