By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No E3 Conference for Nintendo this year - Mistake or not?

Should there be a Nintendo E3 conference?

Yes, absolutely, crazy for not bothering! 354 50.79%

No, they don't need one and the ND suffices 162 23.24%

I'll wait to see how it all goes 178 25.54%

Total:694
JWeinCom said:
Hmmmmmm... Do I want to have the same exact information with a glorified applause track... or do I want to play Smash Bros? Hmmmmmmmmm...

Honestly I don't see the big deal. There is little benefit to anyone except those in the media who go. The average consumer won't know or care. Nintendo certainly has to do a better job of making this seem like a big deal this year (part of the reason why they're clearly labeling this as a "digital event" rather than a "Nintendo Direct") but the idea in and of itself isn't a bad won.

GLORIFIED APPLAUSE TRACK, GLORIFIED APPLAUSE TRACK, GLORIFIED APPLAUSE TRACK!!!

Because 1) It makes the event so much more hyped and 2) Australia =(

Around the Network

Alright now I'll be serious! It took me 20 minutes or so to scroll through this mountain of "rational" posts and I have to say that Nintendo was absolutely right in their decision.

Going against the current state of affairs is, most of the time, the choice that everyone is quick to deem "a mistake". Luckily it's also (most of the time) the choice that ends up being the most successful.

So I don't think it's a complete disaster and I'm really hyped to see the results of Nintendo's plans.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Smeags said:

The SM3DW and Mario Kart 8 trailers didn't garner huge amounts of hype because... they weren't good trailers. They were introduction trailers that did not show us the best that these games had to offer. And that was defiitely Nintendo's fault, but not becaue they weren't live... but because they were poor trailers.

People were going on about how (based on the trailers) a mainline Sonic game finally looked better than a mainline Mario game (those were fun times...) It wasn't until the October 1st Trailer for SM3DW (which wasn't live either) to blow away folks (Hey, even you made a thread about it! :D) and the same went with Mario Kart 8, which really didn't impress people until the April 3rd Trailer, which once again blew people away (I'm using GAF because let's face it, VGC is terrible at hyping games... and yet we were still incredibly impressed!)

I only see Nintendo needing to improve their reveals... (although their X reveal was on point for sure... so maybe there's hope for them.), not that a non-"live" trailer increases the hype.

I love you. You're great, Smeagsy-poo.

OT: I'm not surprised at all. Ever since Nintendo put the Direct thing into motion it was obvious what Nintendo wanted to do; Nintendo wanted to have control over the exact time, where, and how we get our information. And they are succeding on those fronts. 

What's my personal opinion on this? Well, honestly, I don't care. We are getting the same amount of content we would get with a normal Conference, maybe even more thanks to Nintendo cutting out all the business-talk. I fail to see how this is a "problem" when most, if not nearly all, the people who watch E3 watch it streamed. And Nintendo is even bringing the E3 demos to us by way of Best Buy. You should be saying "Thank you." and stop your whining, especially when you are whining just to whine and make a problem out of nothing.

ktay95 said:
JWeinCom said:
Hmmmmmm... Do I want to have the same exact information with a glorified applause track... or do I want to play Smash Bros? Hmmmmmmmmm...

Honestly I don't see the big deal. There is little benefit to anyone except those in the media who go. The average consumer won't know or care. Nintendo certainly has to do a better job of making this seem like a big deal this year (part of the reason why they're clearly labeling this as a "digital event" rather than a "Nintendo Direct") but the idea in and of itself isn't a bad won.

GLORIFIED APPLAUSE TRACK, GLORIFIED APPLAUSE TRACK, GLORIFIED APPLAUSE TRACK!!!

Because 1) It makes the event so much more hyped and 2) Australia =(

Hey, even though you wont actually be able to go the events, they'll still produce many many gameplay videos for us to watch! ^_^

This could be the dumbest decision ever or the best, but if they are advertising this as a "digital event" instead of Nintendo Direct it could work. Like someone already said, all they need is show the new zelda the same way they showed Twilight Princess in the e3 2005.

Around the Network

If they made a Direct or a conference, it would be no different to us, since we would still be seeing it via a stream, so it is no different for us, we would still receive the info the same way. Atleast they will still have the most important part, which is the demos which those who attend the event will get to play, plus bringing Smash to the players. At the end it will be a error to some because they would get "overshadow" by Sony and Microsoft, and to others it will not matter, since at the end of everything we will be experiecing the same way as if they had done a live conference.

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst

Nintendo should have an E3 conference only if they want to succeed in America. It does effect other markets too, but it's really a North/South America thing.

If you have a good E3 you become a hot news topic - you show up as a major news story for a couple of days and even a week. . Microsoft had a huge on in '09 with the showing of 'Project Natal.' Kinect went on to become the fastest selling new device.  Nintendo did it when they launched the Wii too.  While there were plenty of other things that happened and what they did, I don't think that was a coincidence.

So does Nintendo really want to succed in the Americas?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Nintendo did a really bad job with their last E3 direct, it was on at like 7 AM and the whole thing was laggy as hell. Hope they do better this year.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

You all should watch the Nintendo E3 events announcement with Mega64.
This should absolutely have been in Seece's OP, it's where the info is actually coming from. And it's humorous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghEhI4CJjAM

sanjon said:
Anfebious said:
That's it I surrender my Nintendo fanboy title. I'm going where the good stuff is, I'm going with Sony.

Give it more time before you surrender nintendo fanboy title.

its been a year and a half