By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No E3 Conference for Nintendo this year - Mistake or not?

Should there be a Nintendo E3 conference?

Yes, absolutely, crazy for not bothering! 354 50.79%

No, they don't need one and the ND suffices 162 23.24%

I'll wait to see how it all goes 178 25.54%

Total:694

I'm disappointed. I was really looking forward to their conference :/ Nintendo still has the potential to give an incredible E3 Wii U show and I was hoping they can deliver. Zelda, Metroid Prime, X, SMTxFE, an open-world Pokemon game, etc. could make for one hell of a show. I'm not really sure what Nintendo wants to accomplish now and I no high hopes anymore. They can take the fight to Sony and MS, instead they chicken out. Sad.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network

Not competing with Microsoft and Sony is the only rational decision to make. That approach is a complete dead-end in achieving an inclusive image of your products.

The stage shows were becoming increasingly embarrassing for Nintendo,and still are for the others. Buy now they only serve as a basis for online ridicule.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the live streams from the Tree House will be all about.

The Nintendo Tree House people are expert players and writers and usually really funny and knowledgeable.

the_dengle said:
It's funny some are still using phrases like "not showing up" to describe Nintendo's E3 plans. It sounds to me like they will have a stronger presence this year than anyone else.

Or is Microsoft hosting some kind of live Killer Instinct tournament I haven't heard about? Maybe Sony will have constant live coverage of their demo booths for the duration of the show? Speaking of demo booths, have either of them revealed plans to make their E3 demos (perhaps of Drive Club or the new Halo) available outside of Los Angeles?

They actually have done that, and had like a whole schedule to demo certain games live... dont know if they'll do it this year, i usually just watch the conferences.

If this were nintendo plans in supplement to a proper e3 conference it would be good, as it's more or less the same as last year it has the feeling of nintendo surrendering. It's nice that nintendo is trying to bring a more intimate look at the conference to the fans but the thing is e3 is not for the fans, it's for the media. E3's pomp and ridiculous grandiosity provides media outlets with months of talking points and not just those that focus on video games. Whatever bit of money nintendo saves by foregoing a conference they stand to lose several times over in the long run.

prayformojo said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

prayformojo said:

It's not so much about winning as it is competeing. Now is not the time to duck, cower and throw up the figurative white flag which is what they're doing. They're losing, and losing bad. What they needed to do imo, was come out swinging. Let's see Metroid Prime 4 with a rubust online component. Lets see a dark, mature Zelda. Lets see some AAA, core software. I want to see them come out on stage, stand tall like the Nintendo of old and say "Bring it on." 

What they're doing now is just...sad.

I don't see anything sad about bettering their presentation format and bringing E3 to more people. Seems uber awesome to me! Less fluff, more games!

But that's PR, not reality.

Uh, yeah it is! Their E3 direct last year was very much real!

Around the Network

Incredibly stupid if true. Nintendo is giving up a massive marketing opportunity by not having any announcements at E3, it would have been the perfect opportunity to announce Zelda U.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

After reading that what's been posted during what was for me 'last night'; I'm also not seeing how Nintendo should do things differently "because they can't compete on the same level". Why would they automatically compete just by showing what they have the same way? Comparisons between the companies are going to be made regardless, so it's probably better to keep it in a format that's least likely to be looked down upon.

But I digress. There's still a sliver of hope it'll be bigger than last year since they called it an 'Event' instead of just announcing a Direct. And whatever happens, I'll still get my info, but I just want them to do good.

Pavolink said:
S.Peelman said:

It's all about impressions, even if the content is the same.

Physically being there (and I mean, physically present something) reinforces the notion that you are involved. That the viewer is part of it. Even for the average internet-viewer like us. They will recognize effort had gone into it, they will recognize they are part of a bigger thing and there will be less of a notion that there's a barrier between them as a viewer and the company and people that is Nintendo. It feels personal. Even if only subconsciously. Reaching out a hand generates sympathy. It generates good press, it creates a bond. These things then indirectly translate into consumer confedence, followed by sales, followed by loyalty.

A pre-recorded video could never do all that, because it doesn't feel 'real', and the barrier remains. Bad press is created in response. So it's not about the potential content, it's about the impression that's given. This is not rocket science.

+1000

It's like people don't want to understand.

Thank you. It seems like indeed they don't because I don't know you could defend such a move twice, if it indeed turns out the way we think it is.

sethnintendo said:

PS3 didn't have shit for about a year and half.  Same could be said about Xbox One and PS4.  I don't see anything on other systems that are must have games yet.

That's just whiney bullshit. This is a thread about Nintendo's decision about their E3 presentation. Obviously, you must be feeling a little bad about their decision to bring up insulting PS4/Xbox One's game lineup out of nowhere.

I believe he was saying that it's been a year and a half since the Wii U was released and it's doing poorly and not being supported, not since a good game  came out.

So, the breakdown:

Most people with Nintendo avatars think this is great because 'they personally are going to be watching it streaming anyway.' Or 'a Smash tournament will be cool!' or 'YAY! Best Buy demos!' (the strongest argument out of the bunch.)

The majority of the rest say: 'This won't get the mainstream attention from the press or people who aren't intense Nintendo fans that it would have gotten if it was a regular conference.'

And the argument against that position is.... 'Smash tournament!'

VitroBahllee said:

So, the breakdown:

Most people with Nintendo avatars think this is great because 'they personally are going to be watching it streaming anyway.' Or 'a Smash tournament will be cool!' or 'YAY! Best Buy demos!' (the strongest argument out of the bunch.)

The majority of the rest say: 'This won't get the mainstream attention from the press or people who aren't intense Nintendo fans that it would have gotten if it was a regular conference.'

And the argument against that position is.... 'Smash tournament!'

Most people don't understand. They believe that watching a live event is the same as watching a pre-recorded one just because they are in the other side of the tv/computer.

As a gamer I agree that I have the content, but we are not disscussing this from that side, we are from a bussiness perspective. Nintendo have a great booth and demos at best buy. Yet sales are low, holiday bump was pathetic and the only thing people remind is that Nintendo doesn't have a conference last year.

This is a bussiness, and as a bussiness, this is not the best way.

Now, what if Nintendo made all those events, except the digital one, and change for a live conference. It doesn't need to do one or the other. It can be both.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile