By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No E3 Conference for Nintendo this year - Mistake or not?

 

Should there be a Nintendo E3 conference?

Yes, absolutely, crazy for not bothering! 354 50.79%
 
No, they don't need one and the ND suffices 162 23.24%
 
I'll wait to see how it all goes 178 25.54%
 
Total:694

"Mistake" suggests that they're unintentionally making the wrong choice. But it's pretty obvious by now that they're very purposefully doing everything wrong.



Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network
DerpSandwich said:
"Mistake" suggests that they're unintentionally making the wrong choice. But it's pretty obvious by now that they're very purposefully doing everything wrong.

I'm sure you'd make a better president .



VitroBahllee said:


Don't be childish. I'm not 'disagreeing with Dale North.' I'm saying that the ability to do deeper coverage of a streaming event compared to a live one is only one small factor in a larger list of factors.

Someone could do a deeper coverage of a streaming video of some unknown comedian than they could if they were taking notes on their phone in a loud bar seeing him live, but that doesn't mean it will get more coverage in the media than a journalist watching a live show by a famous comedian like Kevin Hart. 

And gaming journalists are getting pampered by the E3 events and will likely, whether you want to believe it or not, not prefer being treated like 'everybody else.'

I'm not going to respond to you in the future so consider this my last word on the subject, or any subject to you. I don't enjoy talking with you.

But seriously, you are quite unpleasant yourself.

I don't understand why you are likening a major Nintendo stream to "some unknown comedian". I understand your point, but Dale explicitly said that the media are "more likely" to do deep coverage with this type of conference, not that they are better able. Theres a pretty big difference there. You can believe whatever you want, but you gave absolutely nothing to the conversation by replying to me except for needless negativity.

Also, once again, I doubt the majority of games journalists would take this as a snub...I've been vocal about my distaste for "game journalism" before but I think you are overestimating the extent of their lack of professionalism...



Haha, stop it already guys.



I am quite capable of accepting that things could be done 'differently' for E3.

The question is: is Nintendo in a position to try to be super different about their conference right now?

Why didn't they try this 'experiment' when they were number one instead of when they are struggling to be on track to match their biggest home console failure?

They should try to do EVERYTHING right now: what they are planning on doing PLUS a regular E3 presentation.



Around the Network

They need to stay relevant. Not showing up at E3 is diminishing their relevance in the consumer's eye.



VitroBahllee said:
I am quite capable of accepting that things could be done 'differently' for E3.

The question is: is Nintendo in a position to try to be super different about their conference right now?

Why didn't they try this 'experiment' when they were number one instead of when they are struggling to be on track to match their biggest home console failure?

They should try to do EVERYTHING right now: what they are planning on doing PLUS a regular E3 presentation.

The problem I think is in two parts.

1) They don't have the content to boast in this year.

2) They generally are bad at hype. Many of their E3 presentations were heavily ridiculed, some disastrous (Cammie Dunnaway fiasco).

Also, the Reggie moments in the snippet above show that e3 is very confusing for Nintendo, because they're trying to hype up something that 1) they are unable to hype and 2) is difficult to hype in the current market environment.



padib said:
DerpSandwich said:
"Mistake" suggests that they're unintentionally making the wrong choice. But it's pretty obvious by now that they're very purposefully doing everything wrong.

I'm sure you'd make a better president .

I turtley would!  I should run!



Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Anfebious said:
That's it I surrender my Nintendo fanboy title. I'm going where the good stuff is, I'm going with Sony.


Give it more time before you surrender nintendo fanboy title.



Hmmmmmm... Do I want to have the same exact information with a glorified applause track... or do I want to play Smash Bros? Hmmmmmmmmm...

Honestly I don't see the big deal. There is little benefit to anyone except those in the media who go. The average consumer won't know or care. Nintendo certainly has to do a better job of making this seem like a big deal this year (part of the reason why they're clearly labeling this as a "digital event" rather than a "Nintendo Direct") but the idea in and of itself isn't a bad won.