By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lets look back at the awful Wii U launch advertisement video

Mystro-Sama said:
What were they thinking?

its very evident that nintendo were not thinking when they decided to make this. 

Around the Network

It's evident that Nintendo wanted to focus on 1) the gamepad, 2) people having fun, and 3) the gamepad. The problem is that they specifically avoided focusing on the actual console and on the games themselves. Those last two are kind of important elements when you're trying to sell a brand new *console* and the software that it plays. The end result is that people have no idea what they just watched and are left with more questions than answers.

Does Nintendo even advertise the Wii U these days? I don't ever see commercials, but remember when the Wii came out there were so many commercials for it - "the Wii would like to play" think almost got annoying.

sc94597 said:
Does Nintendo even advertise the Wii U these days? I don't ever see commercials, but remember when the Wii came out there were so many commercials for it - "the Wii would like to play" think almost got annoying.

I don't think I've ever seen a Wii U ad. In fact the one in this thread is the first time I ever saw a Wii U ad.

TheGoldenBoy said:
sc94597 said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Wii U ad. In fact the one in this thread is the first time I ever saw a Wii U ad.

Same, if I weren't a gamer I doubt I'd know it existed. Possibly that is what Nintendo is doing most wrong. 

Around the Network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIgpuGw168k

they should do something like this gamecube commercial

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

But that's my jam!

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

That right there should have sounded some big alarm bells. Not quite Riiiiiiiiiidge Racer level but not far behind either.

Wouldn't have been nearly as awful without the impact wrench dubstep.

the ad reminded me of the kinect sports rivals ad accept with more people and less games. But honestly, it didn't phase me much.
WHAT DID BOTHER ME,
was A) the fact, that I never saw the console, I didn't even know what a Wii U looked like until last holiday, no wonder the casuals were confused.
and B) the living rooms that they had people playing in were completely unrealistic. How are aiming for the family, without even showing a real god dammed living room where people will play games

How could they expect people to not think its just a wii peripheral when the name doesn't indicate anything new and they don't even show the console?!

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank