By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you still think WiiU can beat Gamecube lifetime? If so why?

Do you still think WiiU can beat Gamecube lifetime?

Yes 291 49.91%

No 215 36.88%

See Results 74 12.69%

Total:580

Unlikely. Not unless MK does some kind of miracle and has the system selling 200k a week. I dont believe Nintendo will be supporting the system past 2015 with any major releases. Once Zelda comes out late 2015, they will be putting their resources behind the next DS and Home console.

I believe the maximum ceiling for the Wii U (30m) is far too low for them to put considerable effort into it beyond whats already in development. They could push it for another 4 years and have it as the cheap secondary console, but I think it would be smarter to start readying the arsenal for a system targeted at the core (alongside their usual fanbase)...

Around the Network

Nintendo can still make profits on the Wii U if it sells 20 to 25 million console ltd and sells a good number of games and accessories.

I think it will.
Reasons: With almost no game, the Wii U has managed to sell 6 millions.
In the same time frame, The Gamecube had Mario Kart, Smash, and Wind Waker.
When Wii U get those, the story will be different.

I don't think Wii U has a shot at outselling GC anymore.

People keep saying but smash, MK, zelda. Every Nintendo home console since the n64 had those. That din't stop Gamecube from declining from N64 sales.

Some compare the pre orders from MK7 to MK8. 3DS also got a 30% price reduction that year. Unless Nintendo gives a huge price reduction with these games I just don't see them being able to salvage the system on their own. I don't see price cuts as likely cause I don't think they have ever made much money on the hardware in the first place. It would be pretty fiscally irresponsible for them to lose money for what would amount to a small sliver of marketshare.

*Sound Of Rain said:
oniyide said:

ill bite, heres the thing with your statement. These party games and platformers where the BIGGEST games on Wii. Period. They were the ones that were moving consoles. Now you say there isnt variety on WIi U i would argue how is it different from Wii? Hell 70% of that library was shovelware. Now with that being said, why would games that traditionally dont do much for HW all of a sudden start moving some? MK8 is the only potential big mover I see, but even then i dont think it would do that much.

This is true. The Wii games that dominated sales were platformers & party games for the most part. Here is what's wrong with your view. This thread isn't comparing it to the Wii. I'm not expecting it to even sell 40% what Wii sold. This thread is comparing it to the GC which is Nintendo's least selling main system ever. When we looks at the biggest GC & N64 games, only 6 of the Top 20 were either Platform or Party games for both. As you can see, before the Wii, those games weren't top dog, even on Nintendo systems.

It's obvious as to why party games sold so well on Wii, platformers are also pretty simple, which is why they did so well on Wii. The Wii U isn't going to attract the Wii crowed, and if they do, it certainly won't be with party and platform games. It'll be something "new" that does it instead. In 2014, I'd wager platformers are on the down in popularity. With powerful tech (Yes, Wii U too) people expect more. Platformers & Party games might sell to current owners but won't sell consoles anymore IMO.

that actually makes alot of sense. I still dont think it would pass GC. I say that because we have seen a decline for Ninty consoles since...hell since SNES. It seems to me that gen on gen people were losing interest, Wii not withstanding. Probably for the same reasons you mentioned, people expect more and IMHO I dont see much difference in the upcoming games than what we've seen before. One could make the same argument for the others but they are flying off teh shelves so its something about them that the populace likes.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
Zero999 said:
Kasz216 said:
Zero999 said:

bolded: are you in 2006 or something?

I don't follow, perhaps i should of been more clear.   I don't see them releasing another system like the Wii U.   That is a game, who multiplatform wise is looking for special ports, or to get copies of Xbone/PS4 games, instead of fighting straight up vs the next generation systems.

I'll be more clear: you said wii u has the same specs as ps360. that's as wrong as it gets. it would be right in2006 and refering to the wii, since the hardware was a deluxe gamecube.

wii u isn't looking for special ports. what do you mean by copies of ps4/xone games? wii u IS fighting straight up vs the CURRENT gen systems that are ps4 and Xone. you are free to dislike their game offerings but you can't say they aren't fighting because of that. for example, wii u 's game offerings make me want to buy the console while ps4 and xone game offerings barely makes me think of buying one of them in the next 4 years. That is fighting.

yet youve yet to buy one. WiiU is fighting and losing...to last gen consoles

not everyone has hundreds of dollars to blow on gaming, i wanted a Wii U ever since launch and finally got one last month because i finally had enough extra cash to splurge.

the Wii U isnt that expensive. And he's been talking about the system like he owns one BEFORE it even came out. Surely after a year and a half he could have scrapped some money together to buy a system he swears he loves. Either A) he is a small child that simply dont have the means B) hes really that financial screwed he cant buy one, even now C) he's full of it and he knows its a subpar system but the Ninty fan in him will not face that reality.

oniyide said:

that actually makes alot of sense. I still dont think it would pass GC. I say that because we have seen a decline for Ninty consoles since...hell since SNES. It seems to me that gen on gen people were losing interest, Wii not withstanding. Probably for the same reasons you mentioned, people expect more and IMHO I dont see much difference in the upcoming games than what we've seen before. One could make the same argument for the others but they are flying off teh shelves so its something about them that the populace likes.

PS4 is flying off shelves because Sony has done an amazing Job at building an empire in the console space. They have proven time and time again that they will have up to date tech, exclusive games, and massive 3rd party support. They have a following but that alone won't get you far. They do an amazing job at convincing the casual gamers to buy the newest PS. 

As for Microsoft? IMO, they are currently doing well because they are willing to spend money. Remember how well the XB did? They would be in the same situation as Nintendo but they decided it'd pay off to cater to 3rd party demands, pay for games, and advertise their product. Did it work? Of course. They will never beat Sony though Worldwide unless they somehow take 3rd parties away from Sony. 

Nintendo did this to themselves. As a fan, I have no issue saying it. They refuse to pay 3rd parties for support and were treating them badly back in the day. Then they decided to use cartridges for the N64, mini disks for the GC, and less powerful tech for the Wii & Wii U. Yet, people wonder why they don't support Nintendo. It's been so long since Nintendo has had 3rd party support that fans (and others) are used to it so even if they did show support their games probably wouldn't sell...

With that said, Nintendo does have strong IP's and nobody can deny that. Once they release more variety and actually show the systems worth, I think it can outsell GC. Who really knows though? Wii U could very well be the biggest failure since DreamCast, it's all up to Nintendo honestly and if they care, they'll advertise better, release more games, and reduce price to be more competitive. 

oniyide said:

the Wii U isnt that expensive. And he's been talking about the system like he owns one BEFORE it even came out. Surely after a year and a half he could have scrapped some money together to buy a system he swears he loves. Either A) he is a small child that simply dont have the means B) hes really that financial screwed he cant buy one, even now C) he's full of it and he knows its a subpar system but the Ninty fan in him will not face that reality.

he completely ignores facts everytime he posts. based on his posts in this thread alone i say A, C or D) satire account 

*Sound Of Rain said:
oniyide said:

PS4 is flying off shelves because Sony has done an amazing Job at building an empire in the console space. They have proven time and time again that they will have up to date tech, exclusive games, and massive 3rd party support. They have a following but that alone won't get you far. They do an amazing job at convincing the casual gamers to buy the newest PS. 

As for Microsoft? IMO, they are currently doing well because they are willing to spend money. Remember how well the XB did? They would be in the same situation as Nintendo but they decided it'd pay off to cater to 3rd party demands, pay for games, and advertise their product. Did it work? Of course. They will never beat Sony though Worldwide unless they somehow take 3rd parties away from Sony. 

Nintendo did this to themselves. As a fan, I have no issue saying it. They refuse to pay 3rd parties for support and were treating them badly back in the day. Then they decided to use cartridges for the N64, mini disks for the GC, and less powerful tech for the Wii & Wii U. Yet, people wonder why they don't support Nintendo. It's been so long since Nintendo has had 3rd party support that fans (and others) are used to it so even if they did show support their games probably wouldn't sell...

With that said, Nintendo does have strong IP's and nobody can deny that. Once they release more variety and actually show the systems worth, I think it can outsell GC. Who really knows though? Wii U could very well be the biggest failure since DreamCast, it's all up to Nintendo honestly and if they care, they'll advertise better, release more games, and reduce price to be more competitive. 

thats fair

Of course, i believe there's still some Wii owners that would like an upgrade but they just haven't heard about Wii U.