By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think Mobile Gaming will ever get serious?

Do you think gaming on phones will ever get serious?

Yes 4 12.50%

No 21 65.63%

Possibly 7 21.88%

Total:32
BraveNewWorld said:
Dedicated gaming devices will always outpace phones. The mobile market can't compete storage, price, and power wise with the 3DS and PSVita. And if the Nintendo Fusion comes into fruition in a few years the mobile market will be set even further back.

In what way? There will never be a Nintendo or Sony handheld to compare to the success of iOS and Andriod games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Quality Control is what keeps Mobile Gaming from being "serious". For every "good" game, you have 50 popular shitty games that steal more attention, and 1000's of clones of those popular games vying for attention as well.

Mobile might be the easiest to develop for i.e distribute on, but its probably the hardest to get attention on, that's why indies are thriving on next gen and PC (which greenlight is attempting to preserve).
If AAA were stars, Indies would be Gas Giants/White Dwarfs.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Akiran said:

ParryWinkle said:

I don't think Mobile games will ever be serious because the controls are just so god awful.

Turn based RPGs can be pretty decent, and FTL on IPad is good. However most genres are just downright unplayable for mobile.

That's the problem. Most games just are terrible on mobile.

It is already pretty serious, especially in countries like Japan where people spend money on games for their mobiles than they do for the Wii U or PS4 games;.

ParryWinkle said:
Are you saying Angry Birds isn't serious...?
Still, its title isn't "Serious Birds" but "Angry" is close enough.

I don't think Mobile games will ever be serious because the controls are just so god awful.

It depends on the genre. As mentioned before turn based games work pretty well, and the racing genre is okay as well. It just depends on the excecution of the game. An FPS totally doesn't work, though.

Around the Network
Squeezol said:
ParryWinkle said:

It depends on the genre. As mentioned before turn based games work pretty well, and the racing genre is okay as well. It just depends on the excecution of the game. An FPS totally doesn't work, though.

And the majority would probably prefer a shooter over an RPG and racing games. That's the thing. Controls are just not good enough for the biggest market, shooters.

ParryWinkle said:
Squeezol said:
ParryWinkle said:

And the majority would probably prefer a shooter over an RPG and racing games. That's the thing. Controls are just not good enough for the biggest market, shooters.

That's true, yeah.

There are many great games on mobile... most of them are ports but they are great fun nonetheless.

I love to play point&click-adventures and the iPad is a great device for them:

• Monkey Island 1 + 2 Special Editions
  • Broken Sword 1 + 2 + 5
  • Back to the Future
  • Sam & Max: Season 1
  • Tales of Monkey Island
  • The Walking Dead: Seasons 1 + 2
  • The Wolf Among Us
  • 1112 Episodes 1 - 3
  • Amerzone
  • Atlantis 2 - 5
  • Blackwell Legacy/Unbound/Convergence/Decption/Epiphany (soon)
  • City of Secrets 1 + 2
  • Cognition
  • Dracula 1 - 4
  • Edna and Harvey
  • Fester Mudd
  • Gabriel Knight: 20th Anniversary Edition (soon)
  • Forever Lost 1 + 2
  • Gemini Rue
  • Hector 1 - 3
  • Hollywood Monsters
  • Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded
  • Machinarium
  • Moebius (soon)
  • Myst
  • Perils of Man
  • RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition
  • Riven
  • Runaway 1 + 2 + 3
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
  • Syberia
  • The Inner World
  • The Journey Down
  • The Last Express
  • The Shivah
  • Yesterday

Some other puzzle games are also great to play via touchscreen:

• Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright Trilogy HD
  • Blue Toad Murder Files
  • Cogs
  • Cut the Rope series
  • Detective Grimoire
  • Device 6
  • Fetch
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
  • Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery
  • Layton Brothers: Mystery Room
  • Save Toshi DX
  • Scribblenauts Remix (works great with voice recognition!)
  • Superbrothers: Swords & Sorcery EP
  • The Cave
  • The Room 1 + 2
  • Where's My Water/Perry/Mickey
  • World of Goo

Other games which work fine with touchscreen controls:

• Star Wars: Knights of the Republic
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  • Anomaly 1 + 2
  • Dark Nebula 1 + 2
  • Dungeon Hunter 1 - 3
  • FTL: Faster than Light
  • Infinity Blade 1 - 3
  • Labyrinth 2
  • Lili
  • Pinball Arcade
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • Rayman: Jungle Run + Fiesta Run
  • République
  • The Bard's Tale (and the included Bard's Tale Trilogy)

And many other games, which work better with a controller, are getting MFi-support: http://mfi4.gamerz.co/topic8.html

(for example: GTA San Andreas, Dead Trigger 2, Galaxy on Fire 2, Jet Set Radio, Lego Star Wars, Limbo, Metal Slug 3, OceanHorn, Prince of Persia, R-Type 1+ 2, Riptide GP 2, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Sonic games, Tomb Raider)

BraveNewWorld said:
The mobile market can't compete storage, price, and power wise with the 3DS and PSVita. 

I prefer handhelds and have a Vita, but you can't affirm these two things. Mobile phones have easily 16 or 32 GB of internal memory and high end devices will accept 128 GB of external memory (while a Vita has 1 GB of internal memory and 32 GB cards that are far more expensive than a 128 GB regular MicroSDHC). 

About power, 3DS is outpowered by mid-end phones. It has 128 MB of RAM while phones are packing 2 or 3 GB, comes with a low end dual core processor while phones come with massive 2.3 GHz quad core processor and powerful GPUs. Vita is more competitive with smartphones spec-wise (quad core, powerfull GPU and 512MB of RAM + 128MB of VRAM) and still outclasses smartphones thanks to optimization and mature gaming SDKs, but it won't be long before phones pass it with their monstruous specs.

I would say that mobile can't compete with the quality of games and control with the 3DS and PSV. Playing on a touchscreen is a massive pain compared with gaming in those handhelds. Despite that, both 3DS and Vita have quality titles similar (or equal) to full console games with good graphics and art style, a lot of hours of replay values, good plots and so on. The best mobile games would be panned if they were on consoles because they are too simple or are plain copies of console games. 

About the OP, the answer is no. Consoles and PCs will always be several steps ahead simply because they have more liberal power consumption needs. A console can use 200 W of power to run a game and a phone can't use more than 5-10 W for that. It's necessary several year (or maybe even a decade) to create a 5-10 W machine that can outpower the 200 W one. But when this happens, the big machine will be considered obsolete and replaced by a new 200 W machine that beats the crap out of it. Of course, I'm not talking about cloud gaming since it would allow every device to run every game, so the device itself wouldn't be important anymore.

Squeezol said:

That's true, yeah.

And besides that, people talk like these things can't be succesful in the same world. When TV came out, everybody thought radio was dead. Internet was supposed to kill the TV, streaming would kill the physical discs. MP3 would end the CD market. And all those things still exist in harmony. Hell, even vinyl discs sales increased in the last few years.

People like gadgets. Everyone wants a shiny new console, a new phone and a tablet. Personally, I have a console, handheld, smartphone and tablet and I use all of them and play game in every one.