By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Titanfall Considered a Big Exclusive for XB1 but FFXIV not for PS4?

Because teh hype train.

Around the Network

It's simple:

Tintafall was overhyped by sites at E3(remember "believe the Hype!") that Xbox fans took as "The second coming of Christ" after they heard that was not coming to PS consoles.

FF14:ARR on the other hand,is a reboot of a critical panned game that nobody hyped.Nobody expected to be as good as it is.And even if is PS4 next gen exclusive,it was released 6 months before on PS3/PC.

Goatseye said:
Did anybody go to Amazon to check those horrible user reviews for FFXIV?

its better game than titanfall though.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

RolStoppable said:
BreedinBull said:
RolStoppable said:
Titanfall is a game that people want to play (goes for both, Xbox and PlayStation fans) while Final Fantasy XIV is a game that people don't want to play (goes for both, PlayStation and Xbox fans).

Final Fantasy XIV was met with a collective "yawn" ever since its announcement as an MMORPG.

dat sweeping generalization x2 though

It's not a problem, because it's damn true.

And yet

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn PC 2010 Role-Playing Square Enix 0.58 0.37 0.00 0.13 1.09
2 Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn PS3 2013 Role-Playing Square Enix 0.23 0.17 0.26 0.08 0.74
3 Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn PS4 2014 Role-Playing Square Enix 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
Total0.820.540.260.211.83

Because it's not a particularly big deal. The game has already been out for nearly a year, and it hasn't had the hype or marketing muscle of Titanfall. I'm sure the game will do fine on PS4, it's already a big success on PC and PS3, but I don't think it's a system seller.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

Because of artifial hype on a new FPS, marketing influencing people, just few month ago, most thought TItanfall was the GOTY, a revolution, an exclusive, the best multiplayer game of the year,... Then it released.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

OttoniBastos said:
It's simple:

Tintafall was overhyped by sites at E3(remember "believe the Hype!") that Xbox fans took as "The second coming of Christ" after they heard that was not coming to PS consoles.

FF14:ARR on the other hand,is a reboot of a critical panned game that nobody hyped.Nobody expected to be as good as it is.And even if is PS4 next gen exclusive,it was released 6 months before on PS3/PC.

Titanfall hype has little to do with its exclusivity. It would be a top selling game even on Sony platforms. Destiny is managing to do well with no exclusivity.

FF14 isn't getting hype because people don't want to pay the subscription fee. Same story with Elder Scrolls Online. Offline games in those series are mega sellers, yet the subscription based MMOs have modest sales. Do the math.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Titanfall is a new IP.

FFXIV is a reboot of a failed MMORPG and an MMOJRPG at that.

JRPGs are a smaller niche genre, well off its apex of popularity whereas FPS games still haven't been superseded by any other genre as the premiere mainstream genre.

But given that the PS was the traditional home to JRPGs dating back to the original PS with FFVII, the PS4 is a fitting home for FFXIV as there are still plenty of JRPG fans who favor the Playstation brand.

Does it deserve the same hype as Titanfall? Subjective, but offhand I say no.

Does it still qualify as a console exclusive? Sure, not that this carries significant relevance.

FATALITY said:
Goatseye said:
Did anybody go to Amazon to check those horrible user reviews for FFXIV?

its better game than titanfall though.

It's a better game than FFXIV though.

I just wanted to say the FF14 is a damn fine game, and I’m having a blast playing with friends. This is my first MMO. And it's fantastic. I've had it in my console from day one and have been pumping hours into every day. It's also great that it’s cross platform, I've never felt like I’ve been in an empty world. On the other hand TF I’ve also had from day one, cant be bothered to turn it back on. It over promised and under delivered at least for me. I've also reached the shooter burn out phase, so that could have a lot to do with it, although I was playing BF daily till FF14 came out. So for me FF14>TF.