By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo games that lack the Nintendo feel

Advance Wars

However it's not a bad thing as it feels more like a 90's SNK game. So it does not feel Nintendo but still has a great charm

Around the Network
Nintentacle said:
ToraTiger said:
IMO, any every nintendo game released in the past four years. Super Mario 3D Land is an example

A Link Between Worlds was a lot like a classic 2D Zelda game. The last time we got that was in 2004.

So was New Super Mario Bros 2, but that didn't feel like any Nintendo I grew up with.   Just like Donkey Kong country returns on Wii.  

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

ToraTiger said:
Nintentacle said:
ToraTiger said:
IMO, any every nintendo game released in the past four years. Super Mario 3D Land is an example

A Link Between Worlds was a lot like a classic 2D Zelda game. The last time we got that was in 2004.

So was New Super Mario Bros 2, but that didn't feel like any Nintendo I grew up with.   Just like Donkey Kong country returns on Wii.  

I guess that's because the nostalgia the older games give (Not saying you're nostalgia blinded, just that new games don't have any nostalgia value)

Nintentacle said:
ToraTiger said:
Nintentacle said:
ToraTiger said:

I guess that's because the nostalgia the older games give (Not saying you're nostalgia blinded, just that new games don't have any nostalgia value)

There are  Nintendo games that aren't that old, that I think feel like Nintendo.  Like Galaxy 2 is and even the first NSMB game on DS.

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

Hmm what exactly is the "Nintendo feel"? Most of their games are very different in tone and gameplay. I would be hard-pressed trying to figure out the similarities between Metroid Prime and Super Mario Sunshine.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

From the top of my head...

Steeldiver

Metroid: Other M

Pikmin 3 (though not a bad game)

F-Zero GX

*Sound Of Rain said:

Every Nintendo fan knows what I'm talking about when I say their games normally have a certain feel or charm to them. Name some games that lack this in your opinion. 

Some examples: (to me)

• Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (only Metroid I tried so don't know about the others)
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Mario Kart Double Dash
  • Star Fox Assult
  • Console Pokemon after the N64 ones
  • Endless Ocean Blue World

Hmmm. I don't know man. As weird as it sounded when it was announced, Retro actually did manage to pull off a first person game that still FELT like Metroid. I don't know whether or not I'd say it "feels like a Nintendo game", whatever that truly means, but it absolutely feels like a Metroid game, and to me, personally, MP3 was the best of that trilogy.

I agree with you somewhat about Sunshine and Double Dash, and most certainly Assault. Assault was a pile of dogshit, and it DIDN'T feel like a Nintendo game, because it wasn't. It was made by Namco, and they absolutely fucked it to hell with horrible design, and some "brilliant" idea to make 90% of the game "on foot missions" that were tedious, boring, and played like shit. I don't play fucking Star Fox to play on foot missions. There are dozens upon dozens of generic third person shooter/action games. Star Fox is unique because it's one of the ONLY arcade style space "rail" shooter games, along with Panzer Dragoon. As for Sunshine and DD, I didn't really personally care for those games, DD especially was slow, crappy track designs, and the double character car thing sucked. It wasn't Mario Kart, nor what I WANT from a Mario Kart game. But, I wouldn't say either game "didn't feel like a Nintendo game". That is an odd statement, and somewhat hard to really define.

Other M absolutely did not feel like Metroid, and while I've seen some people praise it, I'm sorry, the game was dogshit. It wasn't just the horrible story, which I am very disappointed in Sakamoto for. No, it was mostly dogshit because Team Ninja made it, and they are not capable of making good games. This was true for the Ninja Gaiden games, and every single issue that makes those games mostly unlikable, also ultimately made Other M unlikeable. The gameplay just sucks, they don't know how to do simple things like good, solid hit detection, balanced, smooth combat, tight character controls, GOOD platforming, etc. And that "turn the Wiimote to stand in place, immovable, and fire missles during fucking boss battles" idea was arguably the single worst gameplay mechanic idea I've ever heard of in my life.

I don't know though. There are BAD games, or out there games. But while I certainly agree that Nintendo made games usually have a certain feel, a certain "it" to them, it's also a bit rough to point out exactly which games do or don't have that.

And whoever said SMB2 is crazy. That game absolutely felt like a Nintendo game, even a Miyamoto game. He made it, and it showed, because it felt and played a hell of a lot better than Lost Levels, which was a crappy, rushed SMB1 hack. Nintendo was right to not bring that to ths states, because as a sequel, it sucked. "Our" SMB2 was absolutely the better game, so we got the better end of the deal. It isn't like a traditional Mario game, but it was enough like one to count, and it was a very good game besides.

Metroid Other M ( an absolute failure of a Metroid game)
Sticker Star ( I will hunt down the user who said this game was the best Paper Mario game..)
Twilight Princess ( I don't hate Twilight Princess , but it felt like it lacked the charm/atmosphere of the earler Zelda games)
Mario Kart Wii ( While the earler MK games had man yawesome tracks, MKWii had only a handful of memorable tracks..)

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Xenoblade suprised I havent seen that being posted more.

How can you say these games lack Nintendo feel, they feel like Nintendo to me, what a silly post.