By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Man, Did Some People Get This Gen Wrong

thismeintiel said:

Personally, I think it's going to take a $350 price point to compete with the PS4.  March had a $450 price for the One, Kinect AND a game, plus the release of the incredibly hyped Titanfall, yet 60K more people chose the PS4.  While I agree that people don't think "Well, since I get Kinect with the One, that basically makes it $400-$450 for the One."  But, when you package a game for free at $450, they will think they are basically getting the One for $400.  Especially since it was cheaper to buy a One with Titanfall than it was to buy the PS4 with Infamous, and you got Kinect on top of that.

Exactly, and I think this data shows that not only is price parity not going to change the situation for XBone,
but that most consumers are valueing Kinect at absolutely ZERO, at least as long as it is connected to the XBone.
(the PS4 camera is even more sold out than the PS4 itself)

To the change the situation, MS will need to de-bundle Kinect AND further subsidize the console.
That may be possible by this next holiday season, but is not remotely sustainable if it does not immediately turn things around.
And I see no reason why Sony itself would not decide to play that subsidy game if MS does,
as it's much less a gamble for them given the demonstrated "natural" demand and userbase/ecosystem lead they already have.
And if Sony does that, then MS' strategy will be entirely pointless at much cost to their bottom line.

But to repeat, it's not all about how get's "#1".  I believe MS can be profitable selling 1/2 the number of PS4's globally.
Instead of throwing money at ineffective console subsidies, they can develop 1st party games (or buy 3rd party exclusivity).
That is what establishes value of their of their console, and crucially, might motivate PS4 owners to buy XBone as a second console.
I'm not sure why dropping Kinect would be crucial to achieving that more likely profitable #2 spot,
so keeping it may be just as good a strategy as making a Kinect-less SKU.  Although they are a minority, the people who ARE buying XBone,
apparently DO think it has some value and are happy with the bundling, so it's plausible that MS can continue with their 1:2 sales ratio.
(I would say that in additional markets PS4 will have further advantage, expanding the ratio in their favor, but MS can still live with their sales)

Around the Network
CommonNinja said:
BeElite said:
CommonNinja said:

Xbox One has been selling verry well in NA considering it's 50-100$ more expensive.  If they drop the price to 400$ at E3, then I predict that Xbox One will take back NA. by christmas.

I know some people have been saying "well its already 400$ technically", but the problem is that a lot of coustomers still don't know about some of the deals going on at retailers, and even then, the PS4 still has a lower sticker price.

PS4 is a superior product thats just a fact, PS4 has much better good will from the general public.

X1 has to cost less to maybe match PS4 with bundles, it has to cost considerably less to ever beat it.

PS4 is a superior product?

Really,

care to back that up with some facts?

.....and selling more doesn't count because the PS4 is cheaper by 100$.

lol everyone on here knows the tech details, dont pretand not to.

BeElite said:
CommonNinja said:
BeElite said:
CommonNinja said:

Xbox One has been selling verry well in NA considering it's 50-100$ more expensive.  If they drop the price to 400$ at E3, then I predict that Xbox One will take back NA. by christmas.

I know some people have been saying "well its already 400$ technically", but the problem is that a lot of coustomers still don't know about some of the deals going on at retailers, and even then, the PS4 still has a lower sticker price.

PS4 is a superior product thats just a fact, PS4 has much better good will from the general public.

X1 has to cost less to maybe match PS4 with bundles, it has to cost considerably less to ever beat it.

Really,

Superior hardware doesnt always mean superior system. 

Kane1389 said:

True but its tech is.  And funny here it does mean just that.  Ps4 is the better system for game development.

When an average joe googles things it becomes blatantly clear PS4 is superior.

Thus a superior product, if that was not bad enough it aso costs less. 

BeElite said:
Kane1389 said:

True but its tech is.  And funny here it does mean just that.  Ps4 is the better system for game development.

When an average joe googles things it becomes blatantly clear PS4 is superior.

Thus a superior product, if that was not bad enough it aso costs less. 

General Superiority is subjective so it cannot be fact especially when different people have different situations. For example, if you want to play TitanFall on a next gen console XB1 is the only option.

If you want media features in a console, XB1 has hdmi in. However, the paywall is absolutely inane and archaic because casuals who would be using the X1 for media would use their smart tv features over their x1 features because they don't play video games so they have no need to pay for multiplayer in order to use YouTube.

PS4 is superior in technical prowess between consoles is a factual statement.

X1 is superior with regards to media features disregarding the paywall, which detracts from this due to idiotic policies.

Paying for YouTube in 2014 is pretty stupid.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:
BeElite said:
CommonNinja said:

Really, care to back that up with some facts

That's lovely, but doesn't change the fact that BeElite was playing dumb,
and refusing to acknowledge  by what objective measure PS4 could be considered superior,
not bringing up the difference between hardware vs. other aspects at all,
but bringing up SALES COUNT which CommonNinja never mentioned, nor has anyone posited that as defining "superior system".
Instead of productive engagement and discussion, he quibbles over words over which even he can not provide a better objective definition.
This would seem to be the "obfuscating the circumstances of one's own defeat/humilitation" strategy.

thismeintiel said:
CommonNinja said:
thismeintiel said:

"PS4 has no chance to win America. Once Xbox One drops price to $399 combined with Titanfall and Halo N.America will be Xbox territory. 

Guess you can Quote me when I turn out to be wrong, but I actually agree with this one.....well, at least if they drop to $400 quick enough.

Lol, I'm not going to qoute you.  I'm good with this one thread, unless people start posting really nutty stuff. 

Personally, I think it's going to take a $350 price point to compete with the PS4.  March had a $450 price for the One, Kinect AND a game, plus the release of the incredibly hyped Titanfall, yet 60K more people chose the PS4.  While I agree that people don't think "Well, since I get Kinect with the One, that basically makes it $400-$450 for the One."  But, when you package a game for free at $450, they will think they are basically getting the One for $400.  Especially since it was cheaper to buy a One with Titanfall than it was to buy the PS4 with Infamous, and you got Kinect on top of that.

Without people getting taxbreaks, or another hyped game, April may end up more like January.  Which is when the PS4 outsold the One by 130K, or nearly 2x the amount the One sold.

I wouldn't count the One out just yet.  A lot of places were selling the Titanfall bundle at 500$ (like gamestop), and the ones that weren't couldn't advertise the cheaper price, you only found out once putting it in the online shopping cart.

I think once the price is officially dropped to 400$, people will start to bite.  A low sticker price sells better than a higher sticker price with extra goodies thrown in.

A consumer study done, in fact, showed that 9/10 consumers will always go for the product with the lowest sticker price regaurdless if the one with a higher price is better, or has more features.  

I think once they are the same price, coustomers will give the Xbox a chance, and the fact that it has a camera included might just sway some over as they will see it as getting more for thier moneys worth.  At 100$ more though, a lot of people aren't really going to care if it has the camera, not because they don't like it, but just because they don't want to pay 100$ more for it.  If MS throws it in there as a bonus for free (which is how some will view it if they are the same price), then people will be more likely to give the Xbox a chance.

Anyways, a pricedrop still won't do much for Europe (other than the UK).  Microsoft is going to need to win them over with a whole host of exclusives tailored specifically to them if they want that audience.

thismeintiel said:
CommonNinja said:
BeElite said:
CommonNinja said:

Really,

I think he's speaking in terms of specs, which IS just a fact.  And I think the more and more hear about how big the spec difference actually is, it will just be another positive for the PS4 against the One.  There's also the fact that it is starting to lose some 3rd party support, mainly in the case of indies.  A larger game was just recently postponed, maybe even cancelled, in the form of Spider-Man 2.  Sure, that's not really an important game, but if a trend starts to develop where 3rd parties delaying project releases on the One, for whatever reason (possibly struggling with only 32 MB of ESRAM), that's not going to help sway people over to it.  And right now, MS doesn't have the sales to force parity, anymore.

Ok, first off Xbox One is not "starting to lose 3rd party support with indys".

Microsoft just rebooted thier indy program in August, and the first fruits of that are on thier way.

Also, The Amazing Spiderman 2 is an Isolated case.  It is a game that is still comming to last gen, and EVEN WII U, so don't try and convince me that X1 is loesing 3rd pary support because of this, or that the 32MB of Ram wasn't enough, because if it can run on the 360/ps3, then it can run on X1.  Now mabye it can't run at the same resolution as the PS4, but you don't postpone/cancle a game just because the resolution isn't as high as the other versions.

BeElite said:
CommonNinja said:
BeElite said:
CommonNinja said:

Really,

Ok, so by superior product you mean "more powerfull".

Well I'm not going to argue with you there as you are obviously right, but let me ask you this.

Which was the superior product, The Playstation 2, or the Original Xbox?  Now, which one was more powerfull?

Ok, so by superior product you mean "more powerfull".

Well I'm not going to argue with you there as you are obviously right, but let me ask you this.

Which was the superior product, The Playstation 2, or the Original Xbox?  Now, which one was more powerfull?

It is not that hard to understand, Commonninja. The PS4 is superior because it is both significantly more powerful, affordable, and dev-friendly, a feat that no console has ever achieved. Why you're suddenly bringing up PS2 and the Xbox is beyond me.

Also, polls have shown that even if the PS4 and the Xbox One have the same price tag, consumers will still prefer the PS4. Just slashing the price of the X1 to $399 will only be a short-term solution, especially when it has less significantly less games supporting the system in comparison to the PS4.