By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega’s failed Dreamcast outsold Nintendo’s Wii U

http://o.canada.com/technology/gaming/segas-failed-dreamcast-actually-outsold-the-wii-u/

Nintendo has sold less than six million Wii U consoles since the system’s launch in November 2012.

A recent Reddit post got me thinking about this from a very sobering perspective. The console is now as old as the Dreamcast was when Sega announced the system’s death and has sold just about half as many devices. At this rate, the Wii U isn’t even on pace to outsell Nintendo’s last struggling system, the GameCube.

Sega sold 10.6 million Dreamcast consoles between its November 1999 launch and when the console was officially discontinued in March 2001.

Interesting. I did not know the dreamcast outsold the Wii U 2:1! Amazing facts indeed

Around the Network

So... do you get up in the morning and google "How to harp on the wiiU today?"

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

No slack for you. -_-

Dont you have anything to post?

IIRC the Dreamcast did very well in the US, Sega just wasn't stable enough financially to continue in the hardware business.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

yeah, wii u is not selling.

but who cares?
it is funny as hell.

hmmmm very informative nice job toasty

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Fusioncode said:
IIRC the Dreamcast did very well in the US, Sega just wasn't stable enough financially to continue in the hardware business.

Yeah, because M$ and EA killed them... -_-

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DC was awesome, Ea fucked it over big time.

Alternate headline: Wii U, still not discontinued, outlives Sega's Dreamcast despite selling more slowly