By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega’s failed Dreamcast outsold Nintendo’s Wii U

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
So... do you get up in the morning and google "How to harp on the wiiU today?"

That son, is called denial.

OP makes a good point. If the Dreamcast was dropped, yet has sold twice as much as the WiiU over the same period, how long before the WiiU is retired to the grave?

Alos as a point - I CALLED THIS  *smug*

Around the Network

proof that the Dreamcast 2 will be made at some point...

It's thinking again

Wii U sold in 1 year and 6 month 6,000,000.
DreamCast have sold 10,600,000 in 2 year and 6 month...
So, please. -_-

If Sega had Nintendo's money back then it would have been interesting to see how the console would have done. Everyone I know who's had a Dreamcast has spoken positively about it and particularly Shenmue.

From aquamarine:

Dreamcast, March 2000:

Dreamcast, March 2001:

Wii U, March 2013:

Wii U, March 2014:

Dreamcast, January - March 2000:

Dreamcast, January - March 2001:

Wii U, January - March 2013:

Wii U, January - March 2014:

Dreamcast LTD (March 2001):
3.16 million

Wii U LTD (March 2014):
2.30 million

(Btw, reported myself for being a sega fanatic -sal)

Around the Network

My point is failure or not there was a huge number of very happy Dreamcast owners. Even if wii u did go down the pan there still may be enough great games to justify its purchase. I've seen some utterly terrible movies that have made a ton of money and I've enjoyed many films that have made huge losses.

Personally I bought a wii u knowing it was underpowered and it was a purchase purely for Nintendo's titles and a small range of exclusive titles. I never expected multiformat support and never needed it looking at most of the wii u reviews.

As I've said many times there is nothing in the wii u of value in technology, it is a very low cost console to manufacture. Nintendo therefore have much flexibility on pricing that both Sony and Microsoft don't have. The wii u is likely to cost less to make than a hard drive equipped 360 or PS3. If you think otherwise state why? It certainly isn't the low res resistive screen in the gamepad, the cheap 40/45nm fabricated gpu or cpu or the low bandwidth DDR memory, nor its non existant hard drive, its expensive analogue triggers on the gamepad or its generous amount of ports. It certainly isn't its small fan and cooling system or its very low power external psu, or the tiny li-ion battery pack in the gamepad. There is nothing in the wii u of value and they have not licensed anything for it. There is no dvd playback, no licensed audio codecs like dolby digital or DTS, no media centre support, divx playback etc. No licensed functionality at all it seems.

Sal.Paradise said:
From aquamarine:

Dreamcast, March 2000:

Dreamcast, March 2001:

Wii U, March 2013:

Wii U, March 2014:

Dreamcast, January - March 2000:

Dreamcast, January - March 2001:

Wii U, January - March 2013:

Wii U, January - March 2014:

Dreamcast LTD (March 2001):
3.16 million

Wii U LTD (March 2014):
2.30 million

(Btw, reported myself for being a sega fanatic -sal)

Firesale numbers. Dreamcast price was cut in half to $99 in January 2001.

Dreamcast would have been successful if Sega had the money to ride out the early loss-making period of a console launch. Unfortunately they didn't, so that though Dreamcast sales were pretty good (it probably would have ended up around Gamecube levels), Sega just couldn't compete. So I don't think its entirely accurate to use Dreamcast's failure as a sign that Nintendo may pull the pin on Wii U, as Nintendo have the money to ride it out.

If Nintendo's next console fails and they maintain yearly losses over the next 4-5 years, then they might be comparable situations.

I don´t think anyone has a problem with the numbers at hand.

Everyone has relised by now that the WiiU isn´t selling well....at all .

Everyone.

What a lot of people have a problem with is that Toastboy´s entire contribution to this forum can be summarised as "Nintendo is shit and doomed" over and over and over again with various changing thread titles and subjects.
It is just annoying to see the same stuff again and again from him.

So yes, it is true that the WiiU is selling worse than the Dreamcast, but I´m sure there were 1001 threads dedicated to this very comparison earlier.

And I have to stop right here or else I´ll get banned for saying what I truly think.

Edit: This user was moderated for this post - Starcraft

This thread was flirting with trolling from the outset - but that does not justify attacking the OP. If you feel a thread is improper just report it and move on.

Locking, so that I don't have to ban half the site instead ^_^

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS