By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cheat Code Central: "Zero Suit Samus’s New Design is Sexist is here's why"

Tagged games:

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

But seriously, I hate when people bring Sexism into everything... Like holy fuck people, give it a rest. She looks hawt, she always looked hawt, why don't you just bring up the Nes Samus where shes bearly wearing anything?

People don't bring Sexism into everything... just Sexist things mostly.

As for why nobody brings up the fact that if you beat the game quick enough Samus apears in a bathing suit in the original NES game... maybe because that was like 6 generations ago... and 6 generations ago nobody cared/half naked NES characters looked like naked Legos and one generation off from where most characters were just monocrom blocks anyway.

Also, yeah... having a woman appear in almost no clothes if you beat the game quick enough is sexist.  Would you argue that's not the case?  What's even thatarguement, that as long as sexist stuff has been happening for decades then it's fine?  

That said, based on the actual characterization of Samus in the games, both that and the Heel's are terribly terribly out of place.

OMG are you kidding? Even my GF thinks that guy is an idiot

I think maybe the author mistakes the words Sexist and Sexy.... it doesn't have to mean the same thing, sigh move on. Click bait shit articles.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Acceptable

Not acceptable

-_-

curl-6 said:
Nintentacle said:

3. The vast majority of foot fetishist (Which there's a hella lot of them) like high heels.

Guess that puts me in the minority. As a foot fetishist, high heels do nothing for me.

Maybe. I'm not completely sure about that, but I do know that most foot fetishist like to smell shoes after they're worn, and high heels are shoes.

But this is completely off subject.

Around the Network

Assuming that guys have to be half naked to sexually appeal to women sounds pretty sexist to me.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It isn't important what they did because every way would be wrong.

Samus can take care for herself, she is a independent clever woman who knows what she does and wants on her way in the galaxy. And she was attractive in all the Metroid games. It was a surprise that this fearless bounty hunter who killed Mother Brain in the first Metroid is a woman. Women can do it! Not sexist. And now they have different possibilities:

1. Making Samus fat or 'normal': Wouldn't it be sexist, too? That would mean: A women can not look like Samus and be a independent and strong woman, all feminists are ugly or so. That is a way more sexist, isn't it?

2. Still hot: It's sexist that the women in Nintendo games are stereotypes. But Samus always looked this way. She was always hot. Giving her this boots and giving her these shoes is more like: 'hey ladies out there, you can do what you want to do not just what the men want AND feel like a woman because you like your shoes and want to have a great body.

Everything is wrong in some way. So they just added a little bit more fan service. And please guys and girls:  not all the Italians wear mustaches, too...

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.

So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Star character.

Is this satire ? Sure feels like it to me...

Anyway, I would think this could count for women, if we must put things in these terms:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/31/super-smash-bros-include-male-wii-fit-trainer/

Now, I know, the female trainer would count too, so that's one more for the "other side". But is this really the mindset we want for the creation of media/art ? An endless attempt to balance appeal for every kind of (stereotypical) demographic out there ? Wouldn't that get in the way of creativity, while at the same time, leaving everyone unsatisfied in the long run ? It would surely leave out or minimize media/elements that target women exclusively too, as long as double standards are avoided... So, why not just defend the idea of diversity without attacking what we already have ?

We can have games for everyone, and we should. This doesn't mean every game for everyone, much less in some imaginary "equal" proportion. This is just not the way to get there. This is the road of "political correctness" and self-censorship, where we all lose. Where anything with limited appeal in one way or another gets pushed aside or minimized, with the excuse of appealing to as many people as possible. Sexuality being an obvious case, as despite being an element common to everyone, is different for everyone.

Kasz216 said:

As for why nobody brings up the fact that if you beat the game quick enough Samus apears in a bathing suit in the original NES game... maybe because that was like 6 generations ago... and 6 generations ago nobody cared/half naked NES characters looked like naked Legos and one generation off from where most characters were just monocrom blocks anyway.

It wasn't just on the NES game...

Super Metroid (1994) best ending (or her dead animation)

Metroid: Zero Mission (2004) and Fusion (2002) ending scenes.

Basically, Samus's "revealing" clothes were always there. Sometimes more, sometimes less (partially explained by the technology behind the games, as you pointed out), but still there. She was never meant to be portrayed like some sort of "conservative tomboy" that a certain group of people want her to be, but a fully capable, "feminine" woman that can be both strong and sexy at the same time. A woman that happens to use a massive armor as her work tool. And she was also originally more of an avatar for the player than anything, like Link, but whatever...

PS: High heels have been worn by men too, at different periods of time. Just a fun fact to keep in mind...

Perhaps they should've made Victorian Dress Samus instead...

As long as she's not turned into a drooling moron again like in Other M then I don't care what she looks like.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!