By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD March 2014 Thread - PS4 #1 (371k), Xbox One 311k, 360 111k, WiiU ~70k, Vita close to 4 digits. Titanfall tops software

Did the NPD results surprise you?

Yes 379 53.23%

No 308 43.26%

Total:687
Shinobi-san said:
Not quite on the X1 doom train yet.

MS has lots of cards to play. However they cant afford to let Sony increase their momentum. Before you know it, the PS4 is the next 360. At which point the X1 becomes a failure.

I would remove the kinect, cut the price and give it a new marketing push with key new software like quantum break etc. The X1 has a solid games library they need to sell it.

The next 360? in the US you mean? I see no similarities between the PS4 and the 360. As someone mentioned, the PS4 is more like the PS2 at this stage.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Everything in this discussion could be answer if this simple statment:

XOne is 25% more expensive than the PS4 and its selling 20% less units on the USA.

-------------------------------

But then people will call out the bundle and the limited time disconts... well so be it.

The fact is that as long as the Xone is more expensive than the competition it won´t outsell then, unless there are many significant advantages to do so.

However, Sony can´t just seat on the montain of PS4 sold and do nothing to improve the system and ad features to the console.

PS3 has never ever been cheaper than Xbox 360, yet PS3 outsold 360, even with the year head start. Your argument is invalid.

iceboy151 said:
Max King of the Wild said:
iceboy151 said:
I mean, does the X1 really need to win NPD? It's doing good in America and that's all that counts.

These types of posts are hilarious .All last gen people said ps3 was a failure for losing marketshare. Now losing it in your best territory  is fine

Your saying this as if I'm an Xbox fanboy? But that's besides the point. if I was on this site back then, I would've said the same thing about the PS3. I could care less for what sales better, as long as both consoles are selling well.

No. Just that people who xb fans are saying the same thing. Its hilarious 

Honestly some of the posts saying the Xbox One is doomed are boarderline insane. The console has shipped 5 million units already.

It has ZERO chance of winning this generation in sales IMO. But I really don't understand why there's this massive black / white scenario with console sales. Its honestly a strange concept.

If the Xbox One goes on to post a profit for MS, sells a reasonable amount of systems and software, and doesn't sell as much as the PS4 that doesn't' mean its doomed. If it is profitable thats really all that matters.

Take for example ANY other industry. Let's say Ford sells more cars for several years than Toyota. Does that mean Toyota is doomed and no one should buy one? What if Samsung sells more phones than Apple? Is Apple doomed and no one should buy Iphones anymore?

The idea that Xbox One selling less than PS4 means its is utterly doomed to failure and there's no reason to buy one JUST BECAUSE it won't finish in 1st place this gen is absolutely bizarre. 5 million consoles shipped at this point is plenty healthy. At the end of the day Sony is looking to have an absolutely incredible generation with the PS4 but that doesn't mean the Xbox One is a useless product.

I swear console warriors are just strange.

Titanfall > 1 million
Infamous:SS < 500k
Yoshi New Island < 160k
South Park < 440k
Dark Souls 2 < 350k

Edit: 

Metal Gear Solid 5 demo <280k

Around the Network

Despite bundling the X1 with Titanfall, discounting the price, offering a free year of XBL, and advertising Titanfall so intensely, MS still could not get the X1 to outsell the PS4. Not only that, the X1 probably got outsold by a wider margin in March than in February. The only games that can move more units than Titanfall are Halo, Gears, and Forza, but we have already seen how well relying on just Halo, Gears, and Forza went.

Dark_Feanor said:
iceboy151 said:
I mean, does the X1 really need to win NPD? It's doing good in America and that's all that counts.

Shhhhhh...

We are not talking about corporations and tecnology,  services and entertaiment.

We only care about hadware sales, everthing else is smoke and mirrors.

PS: Too bad I wasn´t here back in 2007 when PS3 was doing like... 1/3 of XOne is doing know, now the situation is completly different, the battle is over and nothing can change it.

Actually, back in 2007, it wasn't "it may be getting outsold, but it's still selling well overall" like what you're doing here. In 2007, it was "PS3 is getting smoked by the Xbox 360" with no asteriks, side notes, or damage control to make it seem not as bad. PS fans didn't spin sales news, we accepted that they weren't great and said "just wait" because the games the PS3 had lined up would boost sales (which they did, in the long run). For some reason, you guys can't do the same.

TheShogun said:

It has ZERO chance of winning this generation in sales IMO. But I really don't understand why there's this massive black / white scenario with console sales. Its honestly a strange concept.

Ehh maybe casue MS them selfs just said they are in it to win not be second.

And its humen nature to be the best, 2nd means you are the first loser. 

Dark_Feanor said:
iceboy151 said:

Shhhhhh...

We are not talking about corporations and tecnology,  services and entertaiment.

We only care about hadware sales, everthing else is smoke and mirrors.

PS: Too bad I wasn´t here back in 2007 when PS3 was doing like... 1/3 of XOne is doing know, now the situation is completly different, the battle is over and nothing can change it.

bolded: This is a site about a sales, and this is a thread about monthly sales, if you don't like people talking about sales in here then you're clearly doing something wrong.

Also regarding your PS, you do realize that people mean that the X1 is "doomed" in regard to outselling the PS4 in the US, one might argue that that isn't true but your argument clearly doesn't help your case, since the PS3 is a pretty much a distant third in the US to this day.

BeElite said:
TheShogun said:

Ehh maybe casue MS them selfs just said they are in it to win not be second.

And its humen nature to be the best, 2nd means you are the first loser. 

Not in business its not. All that matters in business is if you are profiting with a product. Ones that do are kept, ones that don't profit are usually cut.

I'm not saying MS is all sunshine and rainbows right now. But the console just sold 311k units in March.  That isn't bad by ANY standard. Obviously it took a lot to get them there and I think there is certainly work to be done at MS studios but reading some of the posts on GAF and here are boarderline shocking.  It really goes to show you how little actual analysis there is in the current gaming community on the internet and how much is posted / written in blind emotion / opinions.