By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Theory: Metroid Other M's story is largely misunderstood

MohammadBadir said:
... Or it's just a bad story.

This, and not only that,  it messes with the timeline and made the character drastically cliche and unoriginal 

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
MohammadBadir said:

This, and not only that,  it messes with the timeline and made the character drastically cliche and unoriginal 

Yeah.

I can't believe they messed up the awesome Metroid timeline into a warped timeline centering around Other M with the Prime games nowhere to be seen...

jigokutamago said:

#2. Players get the story piece by piece over a period of time

Unlike a movie, a game not continuously played in one setting. Most of the time the players would forget part of the story that didn’t make an impression on them. They might miss details that explain things they thought were contradictory. They might have missed parts the explained who the “Deleter” was. They might have missed Samus’s small jab at the whole authorization thing.

In conclusion, Other M’s story just does not work all that well for a game.

It's a videogame. If the defense of the story is "it would have worked fine if this was a movie (disagree)" then you've still got a bad story, because you failed to work within your medium and tried to shove a round peg into a square hole. There's a reason movies create a new screenplay when adopting a film or play, for example. If anything, this point is a slamming indictment of your thesis.

Also, it doesn't matter that she eventually recovered and killed Ridley, because she had no business freaking out over it in the first place.

MohammadBadir said:
PullusPardus said:
MohammadBadir said:

Yeah.

I can't believe they messed up the awesome Metroid timeline into a warped timeline centering around Other M with the Prime games nowhere to be seen...

I always got the impression that Sakomoto was a bit salty over how beloved the Prime games were. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Theory: Metroid Other M's story is a steaming pile of fermented shit, along with the rest of that abomination Sakamoto blasphemously calls a metroid game.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
jigokutamago said:

#2. Players get the story piece by piece over a period of time

Unlike a movie, a game not continuously played in one setting. Most of the time the players would forget part of the story that didn’t make an impression on them. They might miss details that explain things they thought were contradictory. They might have missed parts the explained who the “Deleter” was. They might have missed Samus’s small jab at the whole authorization thing.

In conclusion, Other M’s story just does not work all that well for a game.

It's a videogame. If the defense of the story is "it would have worked fine if this was a movie (disagree)" then you've still got a bad story, because you failed to work within your medium and tried to shove a round peg into a square hole. There's a reason movies create a new screenplay when adopting a film or play, for example. If anything, this point is a slamming indictment of your thesis.

Also, it doesn't matter that she eventually recovered and killed Ridley, because she had no business freaking out over it in the first place.

I'm not trying to defend how the story was presented but rather the story itself.

UltimateUnknown said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Well... maybe if they didnt sex her up so much during the cut scenes, maybe we would pay attention to the story instead of looking at dem bouncing ballons so much

Team Ninja was involved. What did you expect?

I agree! Although... Now that I think of it... Isn't the new Samus hotter than that one even though its not made by Team Ninja?

I think arguably... Sakurai might have out-done Team Ninja... Holy shit...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

UltimateUnknown said:

Well... maybe if they didnt sex her up so much during the cut scenes, maybe we would pay attention to the story instead of looking at dem bouncing ballons so much

Team Ninja was involved. What did you expect?

I agree! Although... Now that I think of it... Isn't the new Samus hotter than that one even though its not made by Team Ninja?

But the best part is that It's in HD! On the Wii U version at least.

Nintentacle said:

But the best part is that It's in HD! On the Wii U version at least.

Yeaa, the second screen shot on the wii is from a cutscene and, at the parts that I am looking at, it looks way better than the wii version even though thats a cut scene! FHD people! The next gen is here!

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/12/super-smash-bros-wii-u-runs-at-1080p/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I think Other M is criminally underrated and most of the gamers who hate it are indoctrinated American gamers who need their protagonist to be cold, badass, stick-in-the-muds and nothing else. Any sign of real emotion is bad to these gamers. Sure there's places where Other M's Samus goes wrong in the plot BUT it's not enough to warrant the hate that the game's plot gets. It's more the gamers being ticked off Samus isn't eye-candy with no personality (as she previously has been) versus the imperfect woman (who you can actually relate or learn something from) she was portrayed as in Other M.