By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Theory: Metroid Other M's story is largely misunderstood

Nothing of significance happened in Other M plot wise. Everything in Fusion was already covered by Super Metroid and Samus in Fusion does a much better job explaining her relationship with Adam than in Other M. So you could say it was all a bad dream.

Around the Network

I watched "Other M: The Movie" like 3 times. I may watch it again in the near future. I enjoyed the entire game except for the parts where graphics looked like they were PS1 level.

superchunk said:
AZWification said:
MohammadBadir said:
... Or it's just a bad story.

Exactly! There is no point in defending that piece of trash game.

The game was not trash. It was very good. Not best Metroid, but still very good Metroid. Just story was badly done.

Agreed. Deffinatly one of my top 10 Wii games. The story was mediocre, but I actually loved the gameplay.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Kazus said:

She's defeating all these enemies while still having her emotions on the frontlines. For once, you see the person behind the suit and not just the suit killing things then getting naked at the end of the game to reveal eye-candy.

That'd be a positive if any of her thoughts or emotions were interesting, but she just drones on and on in a monotone, using far too many words to describe the bleeding obvious. There's no intriguing moral conundrums or anything, just tired cliches. And as a person, she simply lacks admirable qualities. She isn't portrayed as intelligent, independent, resourceful, or likeable, just as a weak-willed teen.

Other M definitely doesn't deserve the reputation it's been given. The story might have been written by a team of dead fish and an angry cat, but the game itself was great.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

That'd be a positive if any of her thoughts or emotions were interesting, but she just drones on and on in a monotone, using far too many words to describe the bleeding obvious. There's no intriguing moral conundrums or anything, just tired cliches. And as a person, she simply lacks admirable qualities. She isn't portrayed as intelligent, independent, resourceful, or likeable, just as a weak-willed teen.

Fair enough. You're entitled to that opinion. We all experience the game differently.

I will return to this thread, but I will leave this.

Other: M had a multiple problems. the gameplay was nice but it felt a bit too shallow for an action game and too bare and linear for an Metroid game. The way Samus was portrayed was horrible and rather poorly developed. While she does respect her former commander Adam, she has no reason to take orders from him. Even if you look past the Prime games, Samus is practically a one man army after all of the things she has done. How can she have survive three hellish planets, yet does not have the common sense to activate her Varia suit in a room filled with lava? Why does Samus need Adams authorization to use power ups that she has used for the majority of her bounty hunter career?
Sakamoto tried to add depth to Samus character by into her trauma and past life. Yet, Sakamoto overlooked one HUGE detail when doing so. He completely ignored the Chozo. Surely being an orphan and raised by one of the most technologically advanced, and spiritual, race in the galaxy would have some impact on Samus. Ironically, in an effort to make Samus into a more complex character, Sakamoto made her into a uninteresting, bland, whiny character

Also

Jenifer Hale Samus > Samus’s calm Japanese voice > Samus’s emotionless English voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG4ei3it8B0