By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Sega handheld market topic (Game Gear 2)

Should Sega return in the handheld market with Game Gear 2?

Yes, I love Sega!!! 39 28.06%

Yes, only if it was a two way race 2 1.44%

Yes, if the Vita is discontinued 9 6.47%

Yes, Sega's Ip's could flourish again 5 3.60%

No, Sega has lost it's identity 31 22.30%

No, Sega can't compete against Nintendo 39 28.06%

Yes, because Sega does what Nintendon't ;) 14 10.07%

Total:139
Hibern81 said:
I loved my game gear growing up. It got equal playing time for the most part compared to my gameboy as well. I think we are coming up on a paradigm shift in the gaming world this coming generation. I believe the Nintendo Fusion rumors to be true to a certain extent, and I feel a dedicated handheld might not be able to compete with what Nintendo is cooking up. I think it would be financial suicide to release hardware unless they were doing it with the backing of Sony or Microsoft.

So these Nintendo Fusion rumors, are they a new handheld or a connection between 3DS and WIi U? I never read up to much on it, but I did notice these rumors. I think if Sega fully commits itself into handheld, it could thrive but the only way to do so is with the right attack. Most of Sega's probelm was trying to be the first at everything, 32X and CD for example. Had they been patient with Genesis and followed by Saturn Sega could've been more stable now. They were too competitive for their own good lol

Around the Network
AZWification said:
Assyrian612 said:
AZWification said:

The Vita would be in serious trouble if a Game Gear 2 would come out!

Let's say though if the Vita fell out of the race, should Game Gear 2 join in it's place?

As long as a Game Gear 2 would have many great games and  wouldn't be very gimmicky ( among other things) then why not!

Alright so we have another suporter =) I really believe the Vita is in trouble and I'm really disappointed in Sony's lack of effort with the console. It is an amazing console and imo the best handheld ever made in terms of hardware. Software sadly not much has been made. So I saw this oppurtunity for another manufacturer to jump in if Sony fell out of the handheld market, Sega could really thrive in it and also might even please it's fan base after the failures of their past. Sadly though this is all a Dream, nice to have it though =)

Assyrian612 said:
Hibern81 said:
I loved my game gear growing up. It got equal playing time for the most part compared to my gameboy as well. I think we are coming up on a paradigm shift in the gaming world this coming generation. I believe the Nintendo Fusion rumors to be true to a certain extent, and I feel a dedicated handheld might not be able to compete with what Nintendo is cooking up. I think it would be financial suicide to release hardware unless they were doing it with the backing of Sony or Microsoft.

So these Nintendo Fusion rumors, are they a new handheld or a connection between 3DS and WIi U? I never read up to much on it, but I did notice these rumors. I think if Sega fully commits itself into handheld, it could thrive but the only way to do so is with the right attack. Most of Sega's probelm was trying to be the first at everything, 32X and CD for example. Had they been patient with Genesis and followed by Saturn Sega could've been more stable now. They were too competitive for their own good lol

Sega wasn't really the first to do much. The TurboGrafx-16 got its CD attachment before the Genesis did, and the SNES had the ability to do what the 32x did built into it. FX chip yo! They were the first to offer a decent online games on-demand service though!

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

No 3D Sonic game has been good enough to support a console; that's gonna have to change for an updated Game Gear to work. Unfortunately, Sonic Team is terrible at making Sonic games.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Assyrian612 said:

Sony did a nice job with the Vita in Japan, but the system is pretty much ( sadly) dead in the West.

Alright so we have another suporter =) I really believe the Vita is in trouble and I'm really disappointed in Sony's lack of effort with the console. It is an amazing console and imo the best handheld ever made in terms of hardware. Software sadly not much has been made. So I saw this oppurtunity for another manufacturer to jump in if Sony fell out of the handheld market, Sega could really thrive in it and also might even please it's fan base after the failures of their past. Sadly though this is all a Dream, nice to have it though =)

Sony did a nice job with the Vita in Japan, but sadly not the same thing can be said for the West. The Vita's library is great, but only if you are a huge fan of JRPGs since the other genres are seriously lacking!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

Sega couldnt even compete when it was just them and nintendo... Handheld market has sony and nintendo, plus all the tablet, smart phones, mp3 players, etc. i dont think it would be very smart at all to enter the handheld market. It is probably riskier than making a home console, to be honest...

As much as a liked sega consoles, it just doesnt make sense for them to start making hardware again...

Sega won't try again, no matter how much we all want it. Not enough money and not enough games. There is no going back unfortunately

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

@Novasonic Ah kk nice. Ah fair enough at least it can get fixed. If you are looking for a NOMAD,, your're best bet is EBAY. Thats where i got mine in mint condition. From memory there were quite a few selling there. However its quite pricy. I paid close to 200 US dollars for it. Game with 6 games, battery pack holder and a adapter. I would say same for atari lynx. Ebay should have it. I was lucky enought to get mine of Trademe which is the nz version of ebay lol. Hahah awesome goal. I am trying to do that as well. its one very expensive hobby to do as well !. How far are you with reaching that goal?

@assyrian612 --- Will post pics of it when i get back from work. It can with the original box which wa salso in mint condition. Got about 10games all with its original box. One of the games was the original Ninja gaiden and the manual is a comic which is the size of a poster! Damn hard game. Even got a batman game with it :). Ah yes that was an awesome. Dreamcast wsa really good at delivering arcade perfect fighting games. My favorite was MVC2 , Powerstone , mark of the wolves and Street fighter 3rd strike :). Does your dream cast still work?

Considering how much Sega has invested in other hardware, it would be completely stupid on their part. They've long since lost their identity as a hardware producer. They would literally have to alienate the user bases they have developed on other consoles, and something tells me people aren't going to run out by the millions to purchase a handheld that will probably only play Sonic games...

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon