By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are there so many Xbox One price cuts? Xbox One sales are bad.

Xbox One is performing in UK/US (right now)

Great 18 5.07%

Good 51 14.37%

Decent 115 32.39%

Bad 91 25.63%

Depressing 55 15.49%

See results 24 6.76%

Total:354

when you offer me a 50 dollar price cut and a free game and I still pick the other console which is only 50 dollars less something is wrong.

Around the Network

I think this generation has proved everybody on here and gaming media wrong. Saling hardware isn't about software (ie games a system has). It is about perception and what your friends have. Sure some generations this lines up perfectly and the system that is best perceived and all your friends have has the best software/games. But this gen is different. I have more games on my X1 and agree they have a better lineup but most of my friends have PS4 so guest which one I would have if I only had money for one? And in terms of perception Xbox One isn't marketed are built as a gaming first console which is important to me and most early adopters. But I'm a family man so kinect was a draw.

All in all, it's never been about games, it's been about perception and real friend value. It just so happens sometimes games align with this. I could care less if Xbox had 100 exclusives to PS4s 3. If 19/20 of my friends have PS4 I'm getting that. This is probably true for 100% of gamers who have real world friends who game. Now gamers who are loners would probably buy the system with the best games (wii u at this point or Xbox for arguments sake).

"Xbox One sales are bad"..............Sure! If the Immortal Helix Fossil says so, then it must be true!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

you dont say? in the usa, they are good. in the uk they are ok. everywhere else they are bad.

almost 66% of all XB1 sales this week are from the Usa. sales are bad else where

The standards have changed this gen, last gen doing under 100k so early in the gen was ''OMG!!! teh doomz'' This gen it's ''beasting'', ''great'', ''solid''

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

What people fail to realise is that in comparison to last generation where the Xbox 360 dominated both the US and UK markets, the Xbox One is flopping hard. On Amazon UK it is rarely seen in the top 20 and the PlayStation 4 is constantly ranked above it, the second of which also applies to Amazon US. There have been numerous price-cuts in the UK already, a game has been packed in with the console, and yet still the product is shunned as the PlayStation 4 is just the place to be. Why that is, I'm not entirely sure, but Sony has struck all the right chords with gamers and that good-will seems to have saturated the more casual market also. Now that isn't to say that the Xbox One isn't selling well, it is, but it isn't selling half as well as it should have been.

Xbox is performing good, but MS is performing bad.
They are looking at how price sensitive the market is but still wont make the killer move.

They fail to see the obvious fact that having a larger install base and few people with kinect will make them more money than a lower install base where everyone has kinect.

Without kinect and at a lower price point, xbox could be beating PS4 in US & UK and be much closer in all other regions.... and maybe even beat PS4 during certain weeks when they launch a big game.

Last gen, MS always had a million or so more sales on COD (just an example), at this rate it will be Sony enjoying those extra sales.... and im confident that kinect sports isnt going to make up for all that lost income.

jlmurph2 said:
Xbox One in US alone has more HW sold than 360 WW at the same time. Also it took Wii U a year to get to 4 million. Xbox One did that in 4 months while being $200 more. Xbox One is not doomed. Its just not selling what the PS4 is selling.

As a PlayStation fan. I love seeing your enthusiasm. Spinning info to suit your ego. Shikamaru too. You guys are Xbox lovers from the cradle to the grave. I'm just interested to know what it will take for Sony and PlayStation to CRUSH your enthusiasm? 

jlmurph2 said:
Xbox One in US alone has more HW sold than 360 WW at the same time. Also it took Wii U a year to get to 4 million. Xbox One did that in 4 months while being $200 more. Xbox One is not doomed. Its just not selling what the PS4 is selling.

That a little unfair of a comparison. XBone was riding off the success of the 360 which propelled its initial sales. 360, on the other hand, had people holding out for PS3 because of the success of the PS2.

Being outsold almost 2:1 overall is not good (and only 85k, at that). You can't just say "well, in the US, it's selling great!", especially with bundling and price cuts at pretty much every major retailer. If Xbone goes back down to pre-TF levels (around 65k), PS4 sales will be almost 3:1. Extrapolate 3:1 to the end of the gen. That would put PS4 at 75M and XBone at 25M. Those are GCN/XB numbers, and we consider those as pretty much bad selling consoles. And selling 4 million in 4 months vs the WiiU taking a year is irrelevant when 3M of that came from the initial hype and only a million have been sold since (whereas PS4 sold 4M in that time, and has sold near 3M since. So my 3:1 ratio isn't some radical number I made up)

I know assuming the numbers will remain the same over the course of say, 7 years, is being ridiculous, when price cuts and new games can invigorate sales, but at the same time, people are claiming that the console market is shrinking (with the advent of mobile gaming). If that's true, such numbers aren't so farfetched. Especially when social factors...well...factor in. If the bulk of someone's friends have a PS4, chances are that person is buying a PS4 (when 95% of the library is the same between the two consoles).

If being a couple hundred thousand behind PS4 in the US is 'depressing,' then why aren't PS4 owners depressed?