By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Kart 8 grafix

Nem said:

At the end of the day that is what matters. Not the technical achievement, but the visual experience you perceive

Now that, I agree wholeheartedly.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

It certainly blows away PS3/360 Kart racers like Modnation Racers, LBP Karting, and the Sonic Racing games, all of which run at lower framerates, with inferior lighting, and often screen tearing.

It could very well be the best looking Wii U game to date when it releases; so far only Trine 2: Director's Cut can rival it. Whether it can then hold the throne against Shin'en's Art of Balance and FAST Racing Neo later this year will be interesting to see.

Wii U is finally moving out of first gear in the graphics department.

bonzobanana said:
What is it exactly people are seeing that makes them think these graphics indicate powerful hardware?

Its just a kart racing game. This isn't some huge sandbox open world with complex AI, a physics engine with huge draw distances or other state of the art graphic effects. Despite the 32MB of high speed embedded memory and later architecture GPU it isn't rendered in 1080p. It's a nice looking game though.

Surely people realise if the original wii can do mariokart with a 12 gflops gpu, 2meg frame buffer, 1 meg texture cache, 24meg main memory and 64meg of ddr external memory plus a weak 1600 mips cpu then a console with a 176 gflops gpu, 32MB of video memory, 1GB of game memory, 8,400 mips cpu and a gpu based on later architecture with some small compute functionality is going to perform to a higher level. This is a game build from the ground up to utilise all the wii u offers. It's only cartoon graphics here and there will be low cpu demands.

I can't believe people just forget the huge number of wii u games that have underperformed on wii u compared to 360 and PS3 and then they see one artistically beautiful game and jump on it as if now the wii u is competitive with ps4 and xbox one. Utter fanboy madness.

Lemme guess, a Ninja Blade alt account right?

Nem said:
ICStats said:
Zekkyou said:

, so it has even less than i thought? Thanks for proving my point even more :) TLOU on only 256MB of ram. The power of optimization.

It's incorrect, PS3 has 256MB main RAM + 256MB dedicated GPU RAM for a total of 512.

Just to correct here, the ps3 has 256mb for video and 256mb for the system. Wich is the same as saying 256mb for games and 256mb for the operative system. 

Wow no no no no. Icstats was correct. The PS3 only uses about 50MB for the OS.

Your computer is the same way. You have maybe 8GB of system ram, but your OS is only taking a small chunk of that.

bonzobanana said:
What is it exactly people are seeing that makes them think these graphics indicate powerful hardware?

Its just a kart racing game. This isn't some huge sandbox open world with complex AI, a physics engine with huge draw distances or other state of the art graphic effects. Despite the 32MB of high speed embedded memory and later architecture GPU it isn't rendered in 1080p. It's a nice looking game though.

Surely people realise if the original wii can do mariokart with a 12 gflops gpu, 2meg frame buffer, 1 meg texture cache, 24meg main memory and 64meg of ddr external memory plus a weak 1600 mips cpu then a console with a 176 gflops gpu, 32MB of video memory, 1GB of game memory, 8,400 mips cpu and a gpu based on later architecture with some small compute functionality is going to perform to a higher level. This is a game build from the ground up to utilise all the wii u offers. It's only cartoon graphics here and there will be low cpu demands.

I can't believe people just forget the huge number of wii u games that have underperformed on wii u compared to 360 and PS3 and then they see one artistically beautiful game and jump on it as if now the wii u is competitive with ps4 and xbox one. Utter fanboy madness.

Any Wii U multiplat that has underperformed compared to 360/PS3 is down to the quality of the port rather than the hardware itself. Those games were created on engines made for architecture very different to what Wii U uses. When ported across, the games have been largely unoptimized thus the term "quick port".  Multiplats are not good examples to judge Wii U hardware, unless a 3rd party invests time and money optimizing to the Wii Us architecture to get the best possible results (NFSMW is the only example and that outperformed the other versions). The only way we can see what Wii U is capable of is when a game is built from the ground up on the hardware, step forward Mario Kart 8, and boy it really does look great....Bayo 2 looks like it could be technically sound too.

Around the Network
zippy said:

Any Wii U multiplat that has underperformed compared to 360/PS3 is down to the quality of the port rather than the hardware itself. Those games were created on engines made for architecture very different to what Wii U uses. When ported across, the games have been largely unoptimized thus the term "quick port".  Multiplats are not good examples to judge Wii U hardware, unless a 3rd party invests time and money optimizing to the Wii Us architecture to get the best possible results (NFSMW is the only example and that outperformed the other versions). The only way we can see what Wii U is capable of is when a game is built from the ground up on the hardware, step forward Mario Kart 8, and boy it really does look great....Bayo 2 looks like it could be technically sound too.

Trine 2 on Wii U outperformed the PS3/360 versions by even more than NFS did; better textures, normal mapping, AA, screen resolution, water effects, physics...

curl-6 said:

Trine 2 on Wii U outperformed the PS3/360 versions by even more than NFS did; better textures, normal mapping, AA, screen resolution, water effects, physics...

How could i forget Trine 2, shame on me, thats one fine looking game :D

zippy said:

How could i forget Trine 2, shame on me, thats one fine looking game :D

Personally, I still consider it the best looking game on Wii U released so far.

curl-6 said:

Its deffo up there, of the games released i consider Trine 2, 3D world, Donkey Kong, Rayman, W101 and Pikmin 3 to be the best looking on the system. I would give Blackflag the crown of best looking multiplat.

zippy said:
curl-6 said:

Its deffo up there, of the games released i consider Trine 2, 3D world, Donkey Kong, Rayman, W101 and Pikmin 3 to be the best looking on the system. I would give Blackflag the crown of best looking multiplat.

Trine 2 is multiplat, do you think Black Flag looks better than it?

For me it goes:

1. Trine 2

2. 3D World

3. Nano Assault Neo

4. Need for Speed