By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you have a retro room or gaming setup?

I've got a little room for my PlayStations and my Xboxes are down stairs. Will share a pic once I get home from work.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
Euphoria14 said:

I must be getting closer to my stash of retro goodness. Just found something that I bet most Nintendo fans around here don't own or even knew existed.

That's right. Euphoria14 owns Nintendo UNO. Bought it from the Nintendo World Store in Rockafeller Plaza. Came in a nice metal case.

I have other swag from there as well. Hopefully I find it all!!!

I'll see your Nintendo Uno and raise you a Purple Pikmin plush, a Super Mario egg cup and a 1983 copy of Pole Position for the 2600 :P (just because...)

I hate you... lol!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

kirby007 said:
I play pc games on my bed, not sure if that is retro or not
all old pc and consoles are held in a dustfree cabin

I only want to know who is in your sig. Forget everything else.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Friday I plugged my Saturn back into my T.V. I moved my Dreamcast into the same shelf. I have the consoles, separately but I'm waiting for the Retron 5 to come out.

Euphoria14 said:

I hate you... lol!

To be fair, my Nintendo Uno came from my American (now) Wife.

You heard right ladies, you want to lock down your bloke, buy him Nintendo Uno! hehe. The rest are just sadly relics from the former collection :(

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Got an Athlon XP 3000+, 512Mb of DDR1 memory and a pair of 12Mb Voodoo 2's as well as a 128Mb Radeon 8500DV which I intend to throw all together and put Windows 98 on it for retro PC gaming. (And use the Radeon 8500 for games which can use Tessellation such as Serious Sam, Morrowind etc'.)
SLI Voodoo 2's will be potent for all those old Glide games like Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Quake, Diablo 2, Descent, Mechwarrior 2, Thief, Turok, Resident Evil 1+2, X-Com etc. :D

Just need a good quality 1024x768 CRT monitor, case, PSU and if I can... Flash based IDE storage and it will be retro gaming ready.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Got an Athlon XP 3000+, 512Mb of DDR1 memory and a pair of 12Mb Voodoo 2's as well as a 128Mb Radeon 8500DV which I intend to throw all together and put Windows 98 on it for retro PC gaming. (And use the Radeon 8500 for games which can use Tessellation such as Serious Sam, Morrowind etc'.)
SLI Voodoo 2's will be potent for all those old Glide games like Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Quake, Diablo 2, Descent, Mechwarrior 2, Thief, Turok, Resident Evil 1+2, X-Com etc. :D

Just need a good quality 1024x768 CRT monitor, case, PSU and if I can... Flash based IDE storage and it will be retro gaming ready.

Good old Voodoo's :)

No i do not have one because I live in a small apartment.

However in my future house building plans (assuming I ever move back to my original state where I have land) I had it penciled in lol.

It was going to be at least 5m x 8m and have like different zones, a Nintendo, Atari, Sega, etc..

Here is a few pics of my setup. Ive got more stuff to put on display etc but due to lack of room I dont want it looking cluttered and at the end of this year I will be building a house and im going to install a bigger game room :)

image upload free

image post

image url upload

img hosting

And a little love for the Xboxes (There setup downstairs)

image url

MikeRox said:
bonzobanana said:

You have all 4:3 aspect consoles designed for a zero latency CRT tv and yet you have a 16:9 LCD set with latency. 

To be fair, looking at the Dreamcast, it's a PAL setup, in which case, 4:3 sets were phased out in the late 90s/very early 2000s. The US was very slow in adopting 16:9 (hence a fair few European N64/PS1/Dreamcast games actually had "Widescreen" options).

So the ideal TV hasn't really been readily available in Europe for over a decade. We do also have a superior connection as most our systems support RGB SCART meaning no dot crawl or colour bleed that Composite and to a lesser extent  SVHS connections gave.

RGB SCART is pretty much as good as Component, just it has to be an interlaced image. You can get some decent smaller sets with very good deinterlacers though to offset that.

I'll agree, CRT would be ideal, but it's not really practical in a region where CRT was phased out 10 years ago.

At the time these consoles were available it was CRT they were intended for.  Of course there are many widescreen CRT's but looking at that stand it seems like only a 17" screen would fit on top. Yes RGB scart is definitely the best connection where possible. Also  you wouldn't want to get any CRT with fancy processing like 100hz refresh. It's the pure 50hz zero latency models you would want to consider which gives fantastic response time and light gun compatibility.

Getting a CRT is more than practical. They were sold up to about 5 years ago maybe even more recent and they are given away practically. A small bedroom set like 17" could be found with very little use and still give a fantastic image. They are absolutely ideal for a retro setup like this.