By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you have a retro room or gaming setup?

VGhippy said:
While I would love to do something like that for aesthetic reasons, I'm kinda spoilt by emulators ;_;

As was I.

I would have NEVER known Final Fantasy if it wasn't for SNES9x on my parent's old PC when I was a kid and since then I have been a gigantic fan of JRPGs.

All consoles shown in my pictures though have been collected since my childhood. So it isn't the point of being spoiled, but the point of being fortunate enough to be able to actually game on them and bring them with me on my journey through life.

From parent's home, to apartments and finally to my own home. Now I can finally show them off and be the true gaming nerd I was always meant to be.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:
Zisbest said:

I wouldn't necessarily call my room 'retro' but it's host to the oldest systems I've got. (Also my beloved VHS recorder )

Oh, I thought it was an Xbox One.

dat diss tho

Lyrics: He He He He Ha Ha Ha!                                                                  

Euphoria14 said:

All consoles shown in my pictures though have been collected since my childhood. So it isn't the point of being spoiled, but the point of being fortunate enough to be able to actually game on them and bring them with me on my journey through life.

From parent's home, to apartments and finally to my own home. Now I can finally show them off and be the true gaming nerd I was always meant to be.

Quite poetic, wonderful :^)

I play pc games on my bed, not sure if that is retro or not
all old pc and consoles are held in a dustfree cabin

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Euphoria14 said:

I must be getting closer to my stash of retro goodness. Just found something that I bet most Nintendo fans around here don't own or even knew existed.

That's right. Euphoria14 owns Nintendo UNO. Bought it from the Nintendo World Store in Rockafeller Plaza. Came in a nice metal case.

I have other swag from there as well. Hopefully I find it all!!!

I'll see your Nintendo Uno and raise you a Purple Pikmin plush, a Super Mario egg cup and a 1983 copy of Pole Position for the 2600 :P (just because...)

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

I used to be a lot more dedicated to how it was set up and it looked cool.

Now it's just a WiiU and Gamecube set up to a tiny TV. College teaches you how to lower expectations in all aspects in life.

Zisbest said:

I wouldn't necessarily call my room 'retro' but it's host to the oldest systems I've got. (Also my beloved VHS recorder )

That just looks wrong to me. You have all 4:3 aspect consoles designed for a zero latency CRT tv and yet you have a 16:9 LCD set with latency. Also what sort of picture do you get out of a N64 with that set? I can't imagine it being very good. Do you have a VGA lead for your dreamcast?

What would be better on the top there would be a nice 17" Sony trinitron set. You can pick them up for nothing nowadays. Also you need a CRT set for light gun games. You have a ps2 and dreamcast so loads of light gun games are available including ps1 games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gun_games

I need a better setup, and my "game room" is my living room. But yes I do have a nice setup, with a NES, SNES and N64 (and Wii) ready to go, with a PS2, Genesis and TG16 on hand as well, and a big bookcase full of games.

bonzobanana said:

You have all 4:3 aspect consoles designed for a zero latency CRT tv and yet you have a 16:9 LCD set with latency. 

To be fair, looking at the Dreamcast, it's a PAL setup, in which case, 4:3 sets were phased out in the late 90s/very early 2000s. The US was very slow in adopting 16:9 (hence a fair few European N64/PS1/Dreamcast games actually had "Widescreen" options).

So the ideal TV hasn't really been readily available in Europe for over a decade. We do also have a superior connection as most our systems support RGB SCART meaning no dot crawl or colour bleed that Composite and to a lesser extent  SVHS connections gave.

RGB SCART is pretty much as good as Component, just it has to be an interlaced image. You can get some decent smaller sets with very good deinterlacers though to offset that.

I'll agree, CRT would be ideal, but it's not really practical in a region where CRT was phased out 10 years ago.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Yes but I don't feel like posting up pics. Is there a way I can just upload pics to this site without going to another site to do so? I'm feeling lazy and don't want to do all that work to show you my room. I got a nice set up though.