By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will there no longer be PS4 supply issues?

sales2099 said:
Could Sony be keeping the supply artificially low to justify the PS4's selling price for a longer length of time?

Does Sony strategically place more stock on key release dates of competitors as a way of being No. 1 at every possible time?

Quite possibly those 2. Not ramping up supply would make word of mouth and desirability go through the roof and wouldn't put pressure on them to price cut for a very long time.

And I did find it very odd how PS4 supply magically got a huge shipment when Infamous released. Sony could very well be saving some for more opportune times of the year.

If so, they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Every unit less they sell, they lose out on the money that customer would have spent on software, and it gives MS that extra chance of competing.

I highly doubt it.

The best I can think of is they shifted what they had to US and UK where titanfall and xbox is strongest and just make other countries wait longer instead.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
true_fan said:

Lol ps4 fans are so gullible, there hasn't been any supply issues for months. Sony is just controlling the supply, put 2 and 2 together. They ever so conveniently had plenty of stock around the Titanfall launch and infamous launch.It seems supply issues is like a built in excuse now, sony is good I admit that.

So Sony is purposely trying to make less money by holding back stock, so that fans on some forums can use it as an explanation for why the PS4 is only winning by quite a lot, rather than an awful lot?

Seems legit.

Every pubsliher and business person worth a damn knows it's the right thing to do. You withold stock for big releases or advertising. It's how you build the most buzz about your product. It's not like they're witholding a ton of stock. Most of it is done in cooperation with retailers. I know that when I worked in retail, we got Wiis all the time and held them in the back for days because we needed to save for Sundays.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

ktay95 said:
When The Last Guardian releases.

Or a new Crash game. Both of them are *most likely* going to come out sooner or later!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

By market?

JP: Demand met, no stock issues
NA: Some stock issues, but normalizing this month
EU: Least another couple months before stock is no issue there

I do not think Sony are holding out, I just think they were not prepared for such strong demand out of the gate.

fps_d0minat0r said:
sales2099 said:
Could Sony be keeping the supply artificially low to justify the PS4's selling price for a longer length of time?

Does Sony strategically place more stock on key release dates of competitors as a way of being No. 1 at every possible time?

Quite possibly those 2. Not ramping up supply would make word of mouth and desirability go through the roof and wouldn't put pressure on them to price cut for a very long time.

And I did find it very odd how PS4 supply magically got a huge shipment when Infamous released. Sony could very well be saving some for more opportune times of the year.

If so, they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Every unit less they sell, they lose out on the money that customer would have spent on software, and it gives MS that extra chance of competing.

I highly doubt it.

The best I can think of is they shifted what they had to US and UK where titanfall and xbox is strongest and just make other countries wait longer instead.

Actually you are really underestimating the level of hype inherent to people thinking the console is constantly short on supply.

Sony doesn't have to ramp up supply yet. They are maximizing their current output and the hype that goes with it.

That said, I take it that hiring another manufacturer and their production facilities can't be done overnight. It would take several months to get another factory making PS4's to Sonys specifications.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
AZWification said:
ktay95 said:
When The Last Guardian releases.

Or a new Crash game. Both of them are *most likely* going to come out sooner or later!

Knack is already out tho.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

fleischr said:
DerNebel said:

I'm just wondering a couple things

How many do they make a month? Pachters 1.4mio a month guess seems highly unlikely.

Are they going to ramp up production or are they hoping to meet demand with the production rates they have right now?

Are they and if they are, how much are they holding back for the holidays already?

From a financial perspective, it's not wise to hold lots of finished inventory for a long time. But I think they organize supply shipment around key releases. As more larger releases come through, they're opening their production and shipments further. They want to sure the remaining majority have a set of games Sony knows for certain their consumers will like. While early adopters may be big fans of Killzone, Knack, and Infamous, there's no guarantee everyone else will love the games the same way. You have to be able to carry strong consumer sentiment in the early months and keep it growing stronger as the months progress.

AMD (which also sells X1 parts) is facing supply constraints -- so that might be holding back production from reaching that 1.4 million level.

Sure, they are definitely going to ship more when the big releases come, that's pretty much what I meant since most big releases come in the holidays. I'm just really curious what they're producing and what they're holding back at the moment. In the last 3 months of 2007 the Wii sold about 7mio consoles, if Sony wants the PS4 to do numbers in that ballpark this holiday season, then they're either already holding stock back for that or are going to seriously ramp up production (like double or something) in the second half of the year.

sales2099 said:

If that was the case, they would have had better sales during the Titanfall week.

Its sold out. Its just how it is. I dont think they have anything to gain from keeping stock.

outlawauron said:
Zekkyou said:
true_fan said:

Lol ps4 fans are so gullible, there hasn't been any supply issues for months. Sony is just controlling the supply, put 2 and 2 together. They ever so conveniently had plenty of stock around the Titanfall launch and infamous launch.It seems supply issues is like a built in excuse now, sony is good I admit that.

So Sony is purposely trying to make less money by holding back stock, so that fans on some forums can use it as an explanation for why the PS4 is only winning by quite a lot, rather than an awful lot?

Seems legit.

Every pubsliher and business person worth a damn knows it's the right thing to do. You withold stock for big releases or advertising. It's how you build the most buzz about your product. It's not like they're witholding a ton of stock. Most of it is done in cooperation with retailers. I know that when I worked in retail, we got Wiis all the time and held them in the back for days because we needed to save for Sundays.

Oh i know that, it's a simple method of stabilizing momentum and taking advantage of key events. My comment was primarily in reply to "There hasn't been any supply issues for months". 

A product that isn't at all supply constrained is always going to be on shelves. Of course, some stock will be held back for specific dates and events, but that's a way of ensuring your product sells as key times. If securing that stock requires you to be sold out during the rest of the week, then you obviously aren't meeting your total demand.

In simple terms, if you get 100 apples a week, but 200 people come in every week to buy one, then it doesn't matter which days you choose to prioritize, you obviously don't have enough stock to meet demand. That's what's happening with the PS4 (though not as badly as it did the Wii. That was a mess).

The way he worded his comment suggested that Sony in-fact do have all 200 apples to sell both on normal days and special ones (such as a major release), but have decided to hold back some of that stock for no apparent reason.

PS4 has very high performance GDDR5 memory and the fire at the hynix factory last year has cut production. The PS4 doesn't use cheap slow memory like the xbox one so is at a disadvantage in manufacturing. Both consoles use an identical sized AMD APU its just the xbox one removes 1/3rd of the graphics power so it can fit in 32MB of eSRAM. I doubt there is much difference in APU supply. Nothing else in the consoles is going to be hard to source.

I'm sure Sony will be more than happy when there are no supply constraints on GDDR5 memory as they will probably get a better price. They must be competing with graphic card manufacturers at the moment for GDDR5 memory.