By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will there no longer be PS4 supply issues?

And just for clarification, it is better for the PS4 to be in short supply throughout 2014 rather than be nigh impossible to find come the 2014 holiday season.

This is essentially an ironclad rule for any consumer product that experiences a boost for the holidays; you do not release the same amount of stock in Nov/Dec as you would in say Feb/Mar of the same year. It's just common business sense.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
Puppyroach said:
I have a hard time believing these rumors of supply issues, since we have also heard rumors of Sony producing more than a million consoles per month. If they are selling below that each month, something doesn't add up. Also, PS4 will most likely fall behind Wii sales for the same period at the end of June. If the sales momentum is kept week-over-week, I will be proven wrong.

At an alleged approximate production rate of 1m per month, the totals definitely do not add up which is why barring any significant changes in production rates, total annual sales need to be taken into consideration before making any conspiracy claims of hidden inventory.

What we will in all likelihood see come November, is that the PS4 is "magically" selling at a monthly rate of well over 1m units per month, when the reality is that SCE simply stockpiled inventory for the expected holiday crush of demand.

Without knowing whatever other new markets the PS4 is scheduled to be made available in, it's not possible to estimate how much inventory will be withheld for any such regional launches either.

So a simple question followed by a simple answer will settle any debate.

Did SCE produce and distribute approximately 12m units for the year of 2014? If the answer is around 12m, you have your answer.

I agree, that is a very good argument :).