By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo debut new tech half way through this gen??

The 3DS is selling fine. What's the point of this thread..?

Around the Network
snowdog said:
The 3DS is selling fine. What's the point of this thread..?

It's down in every region, down 50% in Japan, and is trending to sell less than 10m this year. For a Nintendo handheld to continuously drop it's not good, it actually peaked in the US in its first year and has stayed at that level ever since.

I agree it's fine right now, I'm just forward thinking. What if it drops from sub 10m this year to sub 7m next year? That's dying platform (PS360 last year) levels isn't it?

Seece said:
Mnementh said:
Seece said:

You 'corrected me' with what their biggest problem is, so I replied disagreeing. That HD development/putting out games isn't their biggest issue that will help them get sales.

So tell me: What is the hook for core gamers to get the PS4, as this goes obviously better.

Apt power, third party on board, games that are targetted at them, online features, PS+ do you want me to go on?

You know Nintendo is advertising the Online features of WiiU and Nintendo Network is for free... So that basically invalidates the last two points. Third party on board was communicated and executed at launch of the WiiU - it got a lot of third party titles. Games targetted at them - very subjective, but ask yourself to who are Bayonetta 2 and X are targetted? Leaves power - a very subjective point and never really important in the past.

Reality is - games are releasing on WiiU very slow. The launch games were delayed and released in part a year after launch. That is the problem. As long as the HD-development isn't fixed, a successor would see the same problem.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Yes, because apparently the Xbox One is going to last 12 years or more.

Mnementh said:
Seece said:
Mnementh said:
Seece said:

You 'corrected me' with what their biggest problem is, so I replied disagreeing. That HD development/putting out games isn't their biggest issue that will help them get sales.

So tell me: What is the hook for core gamers to get the PS4, as this goes obviously better.

Apt power, third party on board, games that are targetted at them, online features, PS+ do you want me to go on?

You know Nintendo is advertising the Online features of WiiU and Nintendo Network is for free... So that basically invalidates the last two points. Third party on board was communicated and executed at launch of the WiiU - it got a lot of third party titles. Games targetted at them - very subjective, but ask yourself to who are Bayonetta 2 and X are targetted? Leaves power - a very subjective point and never really important in the past.

Reality is - games are releasing on WiiU very slow. The launch games were delayed and released in part a year after launch. That is the problem. As long as the HD-development isn't fixed, a successor would see the same problem.

Oh wow you were being serious.

Nintendo Online does not come close to Sony and MS offerings.

WiiU does not have anywhere near the amount of third party support XB1 and PS4 have.

Nintendo games are not what the core want, that's not to discredit them, but they want Halo, Uncharted, Destiny ect. Bayonetta and X are incredibly niche, just the same as XB1 potentially getting LO2 and Blue Dragon or something.

Power is very important. Not who has the most power, but enough power to realise a jump in performance and graphics, something both XB1 and PS4 both offer but Wiiu does not.

Around the Network

The 3DS is past "half way through" its life cycle. It's over 3 years old now. If Nintendo debuts a new handheld in late 2015 for example it would be about par for the course.

The DS just had an abnormally long life cycle because its the best selling hardware ever made (lol), well very close to the PS2 anyway, the 3DS is nowhere close to that, so it will be phased out much earlier.

Also the DS didn't have smartphones/tablets really destroying their marketshare, the need for a new Nintendo handheld is more urgent I would say than even the DS rushed to the market in 2004 to compete against the PSP. Smartphones/tablets represent a far larger threat to Nintendo than PSP ever did. 

Seece said:

Oh wow, you're going to be personal.

Seece said:

Yes, yes. It is claimed all the time from self-declared hardcore. So it must be true. Tell me the detail of what is worse. Not 'as everyone sees the online is worse', but 'in game XY the online is more laggish' or something like that. I'm sure we can work out the detail why it has to cost such a high fee.

Seece said:
WiiU does not have anywhere near the amount of third party support XB1 and PS4 have.

Sure, I agree. I was talking about the launch. Let's see.

WiiU 2012: ZombiU, MH3U, Sonic Racing, ACIII, JD4, COD: BLOPS2, Scribblenauts: Unlimited, Batman: Arkham City, Skylander Giants, Sports Connection, Epic Mickey 2, FIFA 2013, Mass Effect 3, Tekken Tag Turnament 2, Darksiders II, Madden 13, ...

PS4 2013: COD: Ghosts, FIFA 2014, Battlefield 4, AC4, NFS: Rivals, NBA 2K14, Madden 25, Marvel Super Heroes, Injustice, JD 2014, Skylanders Swap Force, Angry Birds Star Wars, ...

Looks more or less comparable. Now support is worse for WiiU, no question. But the focus was were, even if you try to ignore that.

Seece said:
Nintendo games are not what the core want, that's not to discredit them, but they want Halo, Uncharted, Destiny ect. Bayonetta and X are incredibly niche, just the same as XB1 potentially getting LO2 and Blue Dragon or something. 

Hmm, that's more to the point, specially with the comparison with LO2 and Blue Dragon. Still - Nintendo tried here to appeal to the hardcore. It might not work as well out of the box, but the try was a lot better than to result in these sales - if it really is about the focus to the hardcore.

Seece said:
Power is very important. Not who has the most power, but enough power to realise a jump in performance and graphics, something both XB1 and PS4 both offer but Wiiu does not.

Hmm, maybe. But again, as a point alone it seems to weak to support the theory that the WiiU sells bad because of the missing focus. I still say, that the WiiU might perform a lot better, if the launch window games had released all until latest March 2013, not all over 2013. And if they were followed up by more announcements for the later year. But development seems to go slow.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:

Seece said:

Oh wow, you're going to be personal.

Seece said:

Yes, yes. It is claimed all the time from self-declared hardcore. So it must be true. Tell me the detail of what is worse. Not 'as everyone sees the online is worse', but 'in game XY the online is more laggish' or something like that. I'm sure we can work out the detail why it has to cost such a high fee.

Seece said:

Sure, I agree. I was talking about the launch. Let's see.

WiiU 2012: ZombiU, MH3U, Sonic Racing, ACIII, JD4, COD: BLOPS2, Scribblenauts: Unlimited, Batman: Arkham City, Skylander Giants, Sports Connection, Epic Mickey 2, FIFA 2013, Mass Effect 3, Tekken Tag Turnament 2, Darksiders II, Madden 13, ...

PS4 2013: COD: Ghosts, FIFA 2014, Battlefield 4, AC4, NFS: Rivals, NBA 2K14, Madden 25, Marvel Super Heroes, Injustice, JD 2014, Skylanders Swap Force, Angry Birds Star Wars, ...

Looks more or less comparable. Now support is worse for WiiU, no question. But the focus was were, even if you try to ignore that.

Seece said:

Hmm, that's more to the point, specially with the comparison with LO2 and Blue Dragon. Still - Nintendo tried here to appeal to the hardcore. It might not work as well out of the box, but the try was a lot better than to result in these sales - if it really is about the focus to the hardcore.

Seece said:

Hmm, maybe. But again, as a point alone it seems to weak to support the theory that the WiiU sells bad because of the missing focus. I still say, that the WiiU might perform a lot better, if the launch window games had released all until latest March 2013, not all over 2013. And if they were followed up by more announcements for the later year. But development seems to go slow.

Not personal, just the first person on the web I've met that thinks WiiU meets core gamers needed. It doesn't and that's why it isn't selling well (as well as not being targetted at casuals too). The online is not viewed as being anything to shout about by core gamers, it has barely any third party support and the fact that is' lacking in power is half of the equation as to why it isn't getting third party support.

why this guy cant keep making Nintendo threads is baffling, its close to be a obsession

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Seece said:

Not personal, just the first person on the web I've met that thinks WiiU meets core gamers needed. It doesn't and that's why it isn't selling well (as well as not being targetted at casuals too). The online is not viewed as being anything to shout about by core gamers, it has barely any third party support and the fact that is' lacking in power is half of the equation as to why it isn't getting third party support.

You keep being inconcrete. 'The online is not viewed as being anything to shout about by core gamers, it has barely any third party support and the fact that is' lacking in power is half of the equation as to why it isn't getting third party support.'

To be clear where I want to go with this discussion: you say Nintendo should get better in sales, if they release a new hardware with a better focus - to hardcore probably. But if we get to the details it is something like better online, without specifying what should change. It is better 3rd-party-support, although I already showed that WiiU had the support at the start, as well as the PS4. The 3rd-party-support then were going away, as the platform received bad sales. And the new hardware should be more powerful. So next year Nintendo has a new console with twice the power of the PS4 for $450 probably, better online (you still have to specify what better means in detail) and get again big 3rd-party-support at the start. Maybe some moneyhatting too. I say this box will fail even worse than the WiiU.

Because the 'worse for hardcore' thing is a perception thing. You talked about 3rd-party, didn't realize Nintendo organized 3rd-party support for the launch. Because the perception was, it's from Nintendo, that's why it has bad 3rd-party support. You couldn't name anything about the online, still you claim it is worse. I can say: perception! Even the power-thing will change nothing. If Nintendo releases such a box, everyone still will say they failed to focus on the hardcore. Because it's already the perception without looking in detail - it's a Nintendo-console, that's why it is not focused on the hardcore. Nintendo will need multiple generations and a lot of money to change this image. That's why a new hardware that will try this focus will even fail harder. Your plan will ruin Nintendo.