By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - wii u sells 50k more units in 2014 so far then same time frame 2013

It's down in Japan 63k, up in the US something like 8k (not including pending March NPD) and Europe we don't know about, just have VGC estimates.

Not up 50k YOY IMO.

Around the Network

So that's only 50k with a cheaper price tag than last year and more games. Considering those facts you could acrually say it's doing worse.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Hibern81 said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Hibern81 said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

At this point the Wii U is in competition with the gamecube. And it's even losing that described failure by Nintendo's president.

What we're seeing here is not a 50k estimated sales increase, but the likely exit of Nintendo out of the Home console market.

Very sad times... :(

Pachter!?!? Is that you???

Such a comment could be seen as trolling, sir. The P-word is almost as bad as the N-word.

The truth can hurt really bad. Sales are sales, sir. Low,  depressing sales.

Yes. Sales are bad (really bad), but we both know Nintendo is not leaving the console market. 

They are certainly not leaving the handheld console market. Not a chance at all.

Their future presence in the home console market is far less sure. Iwata himself said that at the launch of the Wii that if they couldn't sell 50 million units they shouldn't be in the home console market.

The rumours of the hybrid handheld could mean at least a partial pullback. And depending on what definiton you hold of "home console", it could be total pullback.

I really hope the hybrid rumors turn out to be true, and Nintendo redefines both markets. They have already merged console and handheld departments so is would say the basis of the rumor has legs to stand on. But yes, either way, Nintendo handhelds are not going away anytime soon. And I would say for at least the next gen that Nintendo home consoles aren't either.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

pokoko said:
That's basically nothing. Accumulating an improved library seems to have done little in the way of building interest.

On the other hand, the Wii U's biggest games have yet to release. I can't imagine the baseline not moving upwards somewhat.

What the hell Pokoko? We must stick with one argument; Wii U has no games. Next time you go changing our tactics, warn me. I don't want to look like the odd one out.

Hmmm strange I actually used the global weekly charts for the comparisons (even though jan 2014 was undertracked on here).

Around the Network
pezus said:
JoeTheBro said:
Week ending the 11th Jan to week ending the 15th March in 2014 is 358,643. Last year was 301,406. OP seems correct pezus.

See above. Also, you're not getting the same numbers he did

His numbers don't match mine, but the difference does. If we include the week ending the 22nd and start after the week ending the 4th, it's 451,278 for 2014 and 403,683 for 2013.

Your problem is January 2013 was a 5 week month while it was only four weeks this year, thus causing you to add an additional week to last year's numbers.

So far in march its tracked 10k a week better then last march so I think its going to smash last years sales thats all im saying

rik said:
So far in march its tracked 10k a week better then last march so I think its going to smash last years sales thats all im saying

It's not. Japan + US official trackers have it down 50k+. Europe isn't going to be any different than US either.

Wow, thats a bit more then what the Vita does in a week in Japan :O WiiU saved!

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
Wow, thats a bit more then what the Vita does in a week in Japan :O WiiU saved!

Vita sells nothing anywhere outside japan! And my op is just so far its sold around 530k this year while not a great amount its still 50k yoy increase! 

Dont know whh everyone is going on about ps4 or vita im comparing the wii u to the wii u not nintendo vs sony

save that thread for 3ds vs vita lol