By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - wii u sells 50k more units in 2014 so far then same time frame 2013

How much has it sold so far this year/last year? I'm guessing that number is extremely bad since you left it out of the OP.

Around the Network
Hibern81 said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Hibern81 said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

At this point the Wii U is in competition with the gamecube. And it's even losing that described failure by Nintendo's president.

What we're seeing here is not a 50k estimated sales increase, but the likely exit of Nintendo out of the Home console market.

Very sad times... :(

Pachter!?!? Is that you???

Such a comment could be seen as trolling, sir. The P-word is almost as bad as the N-word.

The truth can hurt really bad. Sales are sales, sir. Low,  depressing sales.

Yes. Sales are bad (really bad), but we both know Nintendo is not leaving the console market. 

They are certainly not leaving the handheld console market. Not a chance at all.

Their future presence in the home console market is far less sure. Iwata himself said that at the launch of the Wii that if they couldn't sell 50 million units they shouldn't be in the home console market.

The rumours of the hybrid handheld could mean at least a partial pullback. And depending on what definiton you hold of "home console", it could be total pullback.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

pezus said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
How much has it sold so far this year/last year? I'm guessing that number is extremely bad since you left it out of the OP.

I looked it up and it's actually down YOY...

2014 so far: 451k

2013 at the same point: 529k

That's down 78k or 15%

It's going to continue being down weekly for at least two more weeks because WiiU got a boost last year due to Lego City. 

Wow, so SM3DW + other games + price cut + new bundles + advertising + holidays had absolutely NO effect on long term hardware sells. Now I really can't see how some people still believe Mario Kart 8 or any one game is gonna change the console's fate.

pezus said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
pezus said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

That's down 78k or 15%

It's going to continue being down weekly for at least two more weeks because WiiU got a boost last year due to Lego City. 

Wow, so SM3DW + other games + price cut + new bundles + advertising + holidays had absolutely NO effect on long term hardware sells. Now I really can't see how some people still believe Mario Kart 8 or any one game is gonna change the console's fate.

Well MK is the biggest game WiiU will ever get so it better do something

It'll boost hardware sales of course, but not enough to have the system outsell the Gamecube.

HAHA !

Based Iwata-dono !

...well not really, but better than 50k down I guess...

Around the Network
pezus said:
orniletter said:

HAHA !

Based Iwata-dono !

...well not really, but better than 50k down I guess...

See above lol

D: .....well, yeah....

pezus said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

That's down 78k or 15%

ok jan 2013 to 16th march 2013 - 479,091

jan 14 to 16th march 2014 531,728 

work it out lol. plus with mk8 smash,zelda and xmas 14 id say its gna outsell last year by alot.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Their future presence in the home console market is far less sure. Iwata himself said that at the launch of the Wii that if they couldn't sell 50 million units they shouldn't be in the home console market.

The rumours of the hybrid handheld could mean at least a partial pullback. And depending on what definiton you hold of "home console", it could be total pullback.

If the Wii had flopped, it would be the 3rd console in a row with disapointing sales, so it could make sense to change strategy. With the success of the Wii, they wouldn't quit only becaise of the Wii U. At least one more gen would be necessary to make them consider something like that. They are a gaming company, quitting home consoles is quitting half of your market. With smartphones putting pressure on handhelds, it's wise to focus on home consoles too.

The hybrid console rumour is fake. It isn't possible. One of the problems with Wii U is that is is weak compared to PS4 and One. A portable device is much weaker (Vita is weaker than PS3), so it would only make things worse by using hardware limited by mobile gaming battery and heat requests. Now, having a handheld that combines with another hardware to create a more powerful home console, that is even crazier. It would be a nightmare in programming having to support two hardwares that are radically different to run games using its combined power (despite the fact that the handheld one would be likely 10-15 times weaker, so only the communication overhead would make it slower than simply not using it). The original guy that propised this (I think it was on Neogaf) simply doesn't have basic knowledge about computer architecture.

Week ending the 11th Jan to week ending the 15th March in 2014 is 358,643. Last year was 301,406. OP seems correct pezus.

Someone please pull the plug on this system and take it out of its misery.