By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Titanfall, something I can't get over. UPDATE: Poll added

Well you buy a MP game only in the future?

No 287 66.90%

Yes 139 32.40%

Total:426
DJEVOLVE said:
J_Allard said:
UltimateUnknown said:
If you play a SP only game, do you ever complain about how there is no MP mode and how that's cheapening the value of the game? No, you don't. In fact, most people get annoyed if a dev puts tacked on MP on to their SP game, telling them to focus on the SP mode more and make it even better than tacking in MP. So if that's the case for SP games, why can't a dev put all their efforts and make a highly enjoyable, full blown MP game without putting on a horrible tacked on 4-5 hour SP mode that has no replay value like in most shooters?

If a SP dev can make a solid content filled game that has no MP mode without making you feel that the value of the game has been cheapened, then a MP dev should also be able to do the same with a good MP game with no SP mode. If it's the contrary, then just don't buy the MP game. I will personally buy a game, whether it's SP only, MP only or both depending on how good the game is and if it's fun enough to deserve my money. I don't have a preconceived notion of a game NEEDING to have either a SP or MP mode for it to be good value for money.

Yep. If someone is ok with a 10-12 hour SP game, they should be ok with a MP only game that can last 100 hours + for the same price. Unless they value MP differently. In which case that would be the underlying issue, not the design of the game.

Yes but those 10-12 SP usually comes with MP. Not only that  you're not on the same few boards that have nothing to search for or do, just capture base or random MP games.

Yeah but I knew going in that there would be nothing to "search for" in a MP only game. Who here is buying Infamous 3? The Order? Does Quantum Break have MP? If not, throw it in there too. If these SP only games are fine at $60, no reason at all that Titanfall should be discounted at launch for being MP only, and it doesn't make people who buy it "suckers" either.

Around the Network

gotta love the people saying 10-12 hour single player (aka lower end of the spectrum). And 6-8 hours, really? Hardly any game takes that short unless its a speed run. Took me 22hours to beat TLoU and it had replayability of at least two more run throughs (each one taking less time than the last). I probably played that game for 50hours SP only. For those rare games that are only 10 hours then thats probably 25hours of playability.

MP games get repetitive and boring with the same thing over and over again. At least story paces SP gameplay. Basically each mode wears out its appeal around the same time of playing. And SP you arent stuck in lobbies looking for servers without the possibility of getting stuck on a shitty team. Has anyone been stuck on a team where you are the best player in the match but the rest of your team is worst than the worst player on the other team? Those games just arent fun and sometimes get down right frustrating.

MAG was online only, and it is one of my favorite games of all time.

Then again it was 256 players and so the servers to run it were expensive. Also it essentially was just one big campaign...

Idk why Titanfall isn't a $40 game. When I played it, it felt like a smaller downloadable title; not some big $60 game.

This one of the reasons I will always enjoy Halo more than any other FPS.

Lafiel said:
el_gallo said:
iceboy151 said:
So we want a "tacked on" single player mode?

They only feel "tacked on" because we accept the developers doing a half-ass job on them.

The second issue is that even if "tacked on" the game still has value apart from the MP experience. In this case you are now compelled to buy Xbox Live or the game itself is worthless. Likewise at some point in the far to close future when the servers shut down, the game becomes worthless as well.

This purchase has the potential to go to a value of zero way too easily.

Theoretically games that use the Azure Cloud for "dedicated" servers should never be "shut down", because the (virtual) MP servers only exist for the session and close shortly after that, meaning that the server resources aren't being wasted by having some dedicated (for example) Titanfall servers that do nothing when nobody is playing.

Ofocurse MS or so could decide to block requests to open a virtual server in the cloud from game clients of old/outdated games, but I don't think that should be necessary.

Theoretically even older servers can be virtualized and use next to no resources when not in use. Even the resources they would have used become miniscule in comparison to modern hardware. Yet they are shut down and not supported. For example let's consider any games that required servers from 2007. Those servers would pale in comparison to hardware available today. Likewise the requirements for people demanding those servers would have shrunk to almost nothing considering most of the user base had moved on. Yet those games are all written off and the servers in almost every case, shut down.

The points remain. Titanfall requires Live and requires that the money spent on live maintain servers or it becomes worthless.

Around the Network

Its probably due to the time in released. Had TitanFall been released around the time of MW3 or BO2 or at least before Ghost, it wouldn't be really noticeable, and I doubt the whole 60$ for MP would matter as much.

But now the MP FPS and TFS has over saturated the Gaming Industry. TitanFall offers something new to the formula but FPS MP has practically been the focus since MW2. And especially with the reaction to COD Ghosts thats probably hurting TF more than helping it.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Titanfall seems like it was designed with the free to play model in mind. Definitely not worth full price to me.
No story, no script, minimum animations/voice acting/motion capture, fewer environments and other single player related cost, makes mp only games like titanfall not worth full price.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

J_Allard said:

Some people will value SP more than other people. Just like some people will value MP more than SP.

Infamous 3 comes out in just over a week. Should Sucker Punch only charge $40 for it because it has no MP? Is anyone buying Infamous 3 a "sucker"? No and no.

Another example and one that we can already play, Bioshock Infinite. It sold for $60 at launch and was very short. Yet I knew going into the purchase, what I was getting and had no problem paying $60. Should it only have cost $30 at launch because of no MP and short play length? No.

I know I am going to get hundreds of hours out of Titanfall. That type of play time would typically require tons of games at $60 a pop. For me $60 is a steal.

There are other games that have a campaign and are playable for hundreds of hours.

Titanfall is great value for someone who will play MP for hundreds of hours, but it would be better value for other people if it had a campaign too.  It's just limiting it's appeal to some people especialy if they prefer SP over MP.

My 8th gen collection

Well nobody would miss the shitty campaign in CoD or BF, but I think that Titanfall had the potential for an amazing campaign.

Just think about it. 1st person parcour with a jetpack and shooting, fighting against and with titans, etc. I think it's a shame they didn't even try.

But still better than making a worthless piece of crap like CoD and BF, they at least don't try to fool anyone.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

I buy games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros and I even played Super Mario 3D World purely as a multiplayer game.

Perhaps your question is specific to online competitive multiplayer? In which case my answer would still be yes, but it would be the rare game.