By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2014 NPD Thread! PS4: 285k, XBO: 258k, Wii U: 82k

NintendoPie said:
Soundwave, you are seriously blowing the 3DS numbers out of proportion. This is hardly a disaster, it's just bad. A disaster would entail that Nintendo has no way of turning this slump around (like with the Wii U), which they do.

With that being said, the combined totals for the Handheld market are pretty bad in the US. The Vita is really dragging.

I said it was bordering on a disaster, not a disaster per se. 

It is bad for sure. The thing about it is this is Nintendo's main platform, they can't afford to have weakness or decline in this product categorey. The other problem is "turning it around" operates under the assumption that Nintendo is in control of the situation, which they are not. 

The decline of the traditional handheld business is largely out of their control because its due to phones/tablets.

Nintendo themselves has done almost everything possible to try and accelerate the 3DS -- $80 price drop, 2 new model revisions, Mario/Mario Kart, Monster Hunter exclusivity, casual games (Brain Training, Style Savvy, Art Academy), and a host of very good titles like Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, SMTIV, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda: ALBW, Mario & Luigi RPG, Animal Crossing, and of course Pokemon X/Y. They've put so much resources into the 3DS that the Wii U has suffered clearly. 

This situation is simply out of their control now, they can't do much of anything to stop kids from using tablets/phones and the odds of them convincing teenagers/adults to carry around two devices that can play games instead of just one are pretty slim. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I said it was bordering on a disaster, not a disaster per se. 

It is bad for sure. The thing about it is this is Nintendo's main platform, they can't afford to have weakness or decline in this product categorey. The other problem is "turning it around" operates under the assumption that Nintendo is in control of the situation, which they are not. 

The decline of the traditional handheld business is largely out of their control because its due to phones/tablets.

Nintendo themselves has done almost everything possible to try and accelerate the 3DS -- $80 price drop, 2 new model revisions, Mario/Mario Kart, Monster Hunter exclusivity, casual games (Brain Training, Style Savvy, Art Academy), and a host of very good titles like Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, SMTIV, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda: ALBW, Mario & Luigi RPG, Animal Crossing, and of course Pokemon X/Y. They've put so much resources into the 3DS that the Wii U has suffered clearly. 

This situation is simply out of their control now, they can't do much of anything to stop kids from using tablets/phones and the odds of them convincing teenagers/adults to carry around two devices that can play games instead of just one are pretty slim. 

The fact that you think Nintendo has nothing up their sleeve is funny, really. Nintendo can still release games that would draw in more people and also slash the price considering they haven't formally done that in awhile.

There's no denying that the mobile market has impeded on the Handheld market, but not to the extent that you're talking of. Nintendo can still get people to buy their Handhelds purely based off their IP's alone. The 3DS is guaranteed to do at least 60 Million LT. And that's with a console that had a horribly botched beginning. 

What Nintendo really needs to worry about is their horrible performance in the Home Console market. That's what is worrying the most, especially considering they still act like their Home Consoles are a major player in that market.

Farsala said:

No offense, but your target numbers are even less meaningful then Benvtriggers gamestop numbers. And we all know now that the PS4 is still beasting.

Edit: But I still appreciate what you say about target, gives more outlooks. This includes spurges walmart threads, the many amazon threads, the random I looked in the shop threads, and of course gamestop comments.

My target Numbers called Ps4 > XB1 ain US a week before XB1 launched. My target numbers called a weak Jan for XB1 two weeks before NPD came out. Spurge talks about one walmart and his observations. I talk about Target as a whole. BenV doesnt really say anything because of the higher ups. I dont care about the higher ups so i outright say it.

Max King of the Wild said:
Farsala said:

No offense, but your target numbers are even less meaningful then Benvtriggers gamestop numbers. And we all know now that the PS4 is still beasting.

Edit: But I still appreciate what you say about target, gives more outlooks. This includes spurges walmart threads, the many amazon threads, the random I looked in the shop threads, and of course gamestop comments.

My target Numbers called Ps4 > XB1 ain US a week before XB1 launched. My target numbers called a weak Jan for XB1 two weeks before NPD came out. Spurge talks about one walmart and his observations. I talk about Target as a whole. BenV doesnt really say anything because of the higher ups. I dont care about the higher ups so i outright say it.

I thought you only had access to regional information?

yo_john117 said:

Well the reason you have that impression is because I usually only talk about district figures (in two districts) because those numbers are just so easy to access. The other numbers (that I was paying attention to near launch for consoles) means me snooping and probably accessing things I shouldnt be. So in short, most of the time I will be talking about my district unless stated otherwise but I have no reason to look at the other numbers right now. 

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
yo_john117 said:

Well the reason you have that impression is because I usually only talk about district figures (in two districts) because those numbers are just so easy to access. The other numbers (that I was paying attention to near launch for consoles) means me snooping and probably accessing things I shouldnt be. So in short, most of the time I will be talking about my district unless stated otherwise but I have no reason to look at the other numbers right now. 

OK, gotcha. That makes sense.

Handhelds aren't the only thing that are declining.
Consoles for 2007 Feb
Nintendo DS – 485K
Nintendo Wii – 335K
Sony PS2 – 295K
Microsoft Xbox 360 – 228K
Sony PSP – 176K
Nintendo GBA – 136K
Sony PS3 – 127K
Nintendo GameCube – 24K

PS4 or Xb one(Still a stupid name to me) can't even match the PS2 at this point and don't even talk about the wii.
Vita is doing dieing GC numbers and 3DS is losing to PSP. Handhelds could just be ahead of a trend that all video games consoles will soon head to.

Fun note: GBA outsold PS3 O.o ok I had to do that

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:
Consoles for 2007 Feb
Nintendo DS – 485K
Nintendo Wii – 335K
Sony PS2 – 295K
Microsoft Xbox 360 – 228K
Sony PSP – 176K
Nintendo GBA – 136K
Sony PS3 – 127K
Nintendo GameCube – 24K

PS4 or Xb one(Still a stupid name to me) can't even match the PS2 at this point and don't even talk about the wii.
Vita is doing dieing GC numbers and 3DS is losing to PSP. Handhelds could just be ahead of a trend that all video games consoles will soon head to.

Fun note: GBA outsold PS3 O.o ok I had to do that

I think a supply constrained PS4 being within 10k of the PS2 is pretty good. Wii in on another level alltogether, though.

There used to be running jokes about GBA outselling PS3 on a Weekly basis.

Carl2291 said:

I think a supply constrained PS4 being within 10k of the PS2 is pretty good. Wii in on another level alltogether, though.

There used to be running jokes about GBA outselling PS3 on a Weekly basis.

Also, analyzing one month without taking into account previous months is flawed. Nov and Dec and Nov did crazy for Ps4/one. It only makes sense that selling to the same population it would have a different sales curve

Shadow1980 said:
killeryoshis said:
-snip-

Assuming you're not joking, then you're doing it wrong. Don't just grab numbers for all systems from one specific month, because it doesn't tell us anything without any context to go along with it. For example, when did those systems come out? What were their sales curves like? Do it right and compare like with like, first February vs February, first year vs first year. Align those launches.

-snip- 

I was just doing a generation to generation anaylisis. As the first 8th gen console launched more than a year ago and 2007 was simlier to 2014. I am just pointing out that the industry isn't exactly in the best of places right now. Of course we only have three months worth of data so all we could do now is just predict what is  going to happen.  

@Carl
I guess but we won't know its true sales until April when supply meets demand.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.