By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - These resolution wars...

BenVTrigger said:
Its pretty blown out of proportion for sure, its this generations ammo for people to sling at each other though. This early in a console life cycles neither is sitting on a big library of games. People that want to fight with each other its the easiest disparity between the 2 to use.

That being said, it does mean something that PS4 is $100 cheaper and outperforms the One. Is it a massive deal for the broad demographic? No as graphics alone traditionally haven't been what moves systems. That being said to the core gamer who enjoys graphics and is looking for a considerable bump up from last generation the PS4 being a more powerful console for cheaper certainly means something.

Honestly I never even noticed resolution too much until my eye became trained to 4k. Now when I go back and look at 1080p or less it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm a huge minority though as very few people are currently gaming at 4k resolution.

Obviously. But Price does matter to the broad demographic, and so does word of mouth. Removed from allegiance the core who the mainstream will ask will tell it like it is and that combined with the price makes it more significant than it actually is. That's why the price difference is so detrimental. The Media focus excuse would be more viable at similar price points. Worse still is that Xbox is seen as a gaming console by the mainstream, that works against it to be honest.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
BenVTrigger said:
Its pretty blown out of proportion for sure, its this generations ammo for people to sling at each other though. This early in a console life cycles neither is sitting on a big library of games. People that want to fight with each other its the easiest disparity between the 2 to use.

That being said, it does mean something that PS4 is $100 cheaper and outperforms the One. Is it a massive deal for the broad demographic? No as graphics alone traditionally haven't been what moves systems. That being said to the core gamer who enjoys graphics and is looking for a considerable bump up from last generation the PS4 being a more powerful console for cheaper certainly means something.

Honestly I never even noticed resolution too much until my eye became trained to 4k. Now when I go back and look at 1080p or less it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm a huge minority though as very few people are currently gaming at 4k resolution.

Obviously. But Price does matter to the broad demographic, and so does word of mouth. Removed from allegiance the core who the mainstream will ask will tell it like it is and that combined with the price makes it more significant than it actually is. That's why the price difference is so detrimental. The Media focus excuse would be more viable at similar price points. Worse still is that Xbox is seen as a gaming console by the mainstream, that works against it to be honest.

Price is certainly a huge deal to the broad and core demographic, as is evidenced by PS4's sales lead, however 90% of all "next gen" consoles sold to this point have been to the core demographic. That cheap price tag combined with better power for less have been instumenal in Playstations early dominance.

That being said broad demographic cares much more about software being engaging then they do about graphics. Every year Call of Duty utterly destroys graphically great titles such as Crysis, Killzone, etc. 

If the PS4 beats Xbox One this generation it will have very little to do with 900p vs 1080p. It will isntead be about exclusive software, services, pricing, and marketing.

BenVTrigger said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
BenVTrigger said:

Price is certainly a huge deal to the broad and core demographic, as is evidenced by PS4's sales lead, however 90% of all "next gen" consoles sold to this point have been to the core demographic. That cheap price tag combined with better power for less have been instumenal in Playstations early dominance.

That being said broad demographic cares much more about software being engaging then they do about graphics. Every year Call of Duty utterly destroys graphically great titles such as Crysis, Killzone, etc. 

If the PS4 beats Xbox One this generation it will have very little to do with 900p vs 1080p. It will isntead be about exclusive software, services, pricing, and marketing.

10/10, would quote

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

jonathanalis said:
what concerns me more about resolution is aliasing.
i dont mind play low res games if they have a good AA.

720p upscaled to 1080p with 4x MSAA will look worse than native 1080p with no AA under most circumstances 

Mr Puggsly said:
rolltide101x said:

Ok, I can accept that as you are correct. "Huge" is an incorrect word for 1080p over 720p. I just think "noticeable" is not enough either. Just by looking at a game it is tough to determine what it is but if you are used to playing at 1080p and then go down to 720p it is hard to play, I can not even think of playing Skyrim on my PS3 anymore after playing it on PC

Meh, even though I primarily spent the 7th gen playing games at 720p. I had no problem enjoying games on Wii or PS2 running at 480p with inferior graphics.

I appreciate high quality graphics, but its a novelty to the average consumer.

PS2 games are just a blur to me now. I can play Wii games if they are upscaled to 1080p but not at 480p.

Around the Network
lt_dan_27 said:
rolltide101x said:
There is no excuse for a 500$ system to run at the same resolutions as a 8 and 9 year old console. PS4 has been pretty much entirely at 1080p so I can not complain with it.

Resolution does not make a game good or bad (My fav game is BF4 on PS4 which is 900p) but with a new generation I expect the resolution to go up or there was really no point in the new generation

I agree that res probably make the most notable difference. But saying that CODG looks the same on X1 and 360 because they're in the same (or similar, not sure what the res on 360 is), is very false. I do agree that it's sad that the only major game on x1 that are 1080p are sports games and forza though. 

Texture quality is no where near as important as resolution but it does produce a noticeable effect as you have stated. I will be honest and say I could tell no difference in BF4 on both systems (720p vs 900p) but I can immediately tell a difference in 900p and 1080p playing one behind the other

rolltide101x said:
jonathanalis said:

720p upscaled to 1080p with 4x MSAA will look worse than native 1080p with no AA under most circumstances 

but when is the 4x MSAA is applied?

on the rendering in 720p, or when upscaling to 1080p? in the second case, i presume it will be worst.

I said that because of some parts of SM3DW, the bowser modeling i cant see any jaggie or aliasing. im ok with 720, as long AA be as good as in that case.

Even in the CGs of KH 358 days, in DS. Seems so beautifull without any aliasing. But when start the gameplay, the modeling seems similar to CG, but the great difference is the aliasing. and looks awful.

jonathanalis said:
rolltide101x said:
jonathanalis said:

but when is the 4x MSAA is applied?

on the rendering in 720p, or when upscaling to 1080p? in the second case, i presume it will be worst.

I said that because of some parts of SM3DW, the bowser modeling i cant see any jaggie or aliasing. im ok with 720, as long AA be as good as in that case.

Even in the CGs of KH 358 days, in DS. Seems so beautifull without any aliasing. But when start the gameplay, the modeling seems similar to CG, but the great difference is the aliasing. and looks awful.

I am not saying aliasing does not make a good bit of difference but that it does not make up for resolution. Nothing can make up for resolution. The more pixels the more details than can be shown, the more pixels there are the smaller they are which make jaggels less noticeable 

Xxain said:
DD_Bwest said:
its not that a resolution can ruin a game, its that when you have 2 games that are identical except for resolution, there is a visual difference. To some this matters, to others it does not. And some pretend like it doesnt matter and get super defensive about it.

But it doesnt matter. If it did we would statistical evidence to prove that but in reality its vice versa.

In a attempt to promote their strengths in effort to mask their lackluster game design, western developers have trained the current industry into the belief that silly/negligible cosmetics are important to enjoying a video game. Now it is coming back to bite them on the ass. You are absolutely right at the amount of developers coming out to justify their resolutions being beyond pathetic , but you know what ... thats their fault. Gotta reap what you sow. Dont feel sorry for them.

Glad I am not the only one who noticed this in the game industry.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

cyberninja45 said:
Xxain said:
DD_Bwest said:
its not that a resolution can ruin a game, its that when you have 2 games that are identical except for resolution, there is a visual difference. To some this matters, to others it does not. And some pretend like it doesnt matter and get super defensive about it.

But it doesnt matter. If it did we would statistical evidence to prove that but in reality its vice versa.

In a attempt to promote their strengths in effort to mask their lackluster game design, western developers have trained the current industry into the belief that silly/negligible cosmetics are important to enjoying a video game. Now it is coming back to bite them on the ass. You are absolutely right at the amount of developers coming out to justify their resolutions being beyond pathetic , but you know what ... thats their fault. Gotta reap what you sow. Dont feel sorry for them.

Glad I am not the only one who noticed this in the game industry.

Lol, games are amazing right now. Tons of indies to play and quite a few AA and AAA coming over the next year.

Also, only people at lesser resolutions say "it does not matter"