By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Pachter predicts that the Kinect will stop being bundled in 2015

Remember when Pachter predicted Midway will have a turnaround year in 2008...then they ended up filing for bankruptcy early 2009?

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Zappykins said:
Well, if he said it then rest assured there will Never be a Kinectless Xbox One.

Nor should their be. Once people get used to talking to their system, they try to do than with everything. Voice control, motion gaming, motion capture, all part of the future.

Next up should be 3D glasses.

3/10 unintresting.

Half of those things can be done with headsets.

Motion Gaming was done to death last gen.

Smartphone have been doing all of the things you listed since 2012.

binary solo said:

I like Garnet Lee's solution. Get indies on the case and give Kinect some value. The question is whether you need more resource to develop a good Kinect game over a normal controller game? Can indies really put out great Kinect experiences without a lot of MS support? And do indies sell consoles or do AAA games sell consoles, so where should MS put its game development support?

Also interesting that they all reckon the marketing for inFamous has been lacking. Seems to me like Second Sons is the best marketed inFamous game yet. Perhaps they're just not seeing TV ads for it. But I reckon TV is not necessarily the best place to advertise any more. Everyone who is connected either DVRs shows and skip the ads or watches streaming. I basically never watch "live" TV anymore except for the 6PM news, sometimes.

They aslo talk about twitch as if millions of people will want to twitch stream. Fact is most people don't want to twitch stream but rather watch twitch streaming. PS4 can do it too, and you can buy PS4+camera for less than Xb one with Kinect. And if it's only for twitch streaming PS Eye is all you need.

8/10; reasonable

Kinect 2.0 and PSEYE are both proprietary, can't be used on PCs. That's going to kill a ton of indie support right there. For those willing to make it on one of those platforms,  they are assuming the risk of a sub market on the whole gamng marketshare. It's safer to make a game that supports the Camera rather than a Game that only uses the camera.

All the Pachter hate is just jealousy, he gets paid to do what you guys do on the forum, and if he's wrong it doesn't really matter all that much but the internet audience will blow it out of proportion, and if he's right it will be ignored.

Actually, just like Kinect 1.0 they will release a Windows Development Kit for Kinect 2.0 so it will work just fine on PC.  It's how many of those Universities, Scientist and Hospitals are using it for measuring cavers, ice melt, self flying copters, hands free X-ray manipulation, etc..  Kinect has many applications outside of gaming.  Currently the Kinect 2.0 development kit is priced at $399.

As far as motion gaming being over?  Let’s look at the reality: Xbox makes a new much more powerful Kinect, and PlayStation adds a light to every controller so it will work better with the PSEye.  WiiU still uses WiiMotion+ and the Balance board.  We aren’t going backwards.

And with voice control - yes, if smart phones can do it, smart consoles should be able to do it too.

As far as Patcher, didn’t he predict something like the PS3 would sell 120 million by 2012 and Xbox 27 Million by 2011 and Wii only 11 million.  And he has been pushing that PS3/X360 price drop for years.  If Patcher is wrong too much he will get fired if he loses people too much money.  But he does revise his predictions from time to time.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Where did the guy got his fame ? He's wrong half the time and captain obvious the other half.

When I say wrong, sometime it doesn't even make sense. He predicted 240 fps for PS4. What's the point of having 240 frame you can't display on a TV ? What about the performance trade off ? Can't any console do that depending on rendering target ?

The only right prediction I can remember was "February Big announce is about PS4". Thanks, man !

Norris2k said:
Where did the guy got his fame ? He's wrong half the time and captain obvious the other half.

When I say wrong, sometime it doesn't even make sense. He predicted 240 fps for PS4. What's the point of having 240 frame you can't display on a TV ? What about the performance trade off ? Can't any console do that depending on rendering target ?

The only right prediction I can remember was "February Big announce is about PS4". Thanks, man !

Because gamer's care what a finacial analyst says, also gametrailers.com

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Pachter :) 

Around the Network
Damagon said:

well tech he was still wrong lol

Comedy gold I tell ya!

Once again Patcher was very, very wrong. 2015... pfft.

Azerth said:
Damagon said:

well tech he was still wrong lol

Poor guy, can't win one even when he's right lol

Anyone could see this was coming. MS was feeling the heat so it came sooner than expected.