By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Watch Dogs Wii U - Ubisoft reiterates that Watch Dogs is still coming to Wii U.

czecherychestnut said:
fleischr said:
Carl2291 said:
Mr Khan said:

Because nobody was talking about AC4 on Wii U (i really didn't see too many people talking about AC4 at all). Watch Dogs has had a fair amount of hype across the board, including on the U.

AC as a franchise has never had much of a following on VGC. That said, you should never judge how well a title will sell based on how many people are talking about it.

Kind of old, but Ubisoft has been on the record as saying it costs less than 1.3 million to port games to the U.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-23-ubisoft-says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

Yes, this article dates to when the U had only the 360 and PS3 to compete with. But Watch Dogs, CoD, AC, and Batman all have 360 and PS3 releases.

At 150k, selling for an average price of lets say $40 when you account for bargain bin sales in the later half of sales lifetime that's $6 million. More than likely lifts most 3rd party ports to profit.

Regarding Watch Dogs on Wii U. 25k preorders at $60 = $1.5 million -- probably just enough get a long ways into porting the game and begin adding new Wii U specific features. The preorder number has been requested and provided in other weekly preorder reports on VGC.

Wii U version of Watch Dogs will come, and will be successful for Ubisoft. But there's no denying Watch Dogs on all other platforms is a far more material concern.

*sigh* this has to be one of the most misrepresented quotes going around on this site. For one, that quote pertains to the 5 ports of existing games that ubi released in 2012, those being Assassin’s Creed III, Sports Connection, Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Your Shape, Just Dance 4, and Rabbids Land. With the possible exception of Assassins creed III, none of those are huge games by any stretch, and therefore there €1m port cost is not indicative of normal port costs.

Secondly, a port is a game that's already finished elsewhere, and the process of porting involves copying the game assets across, recompiling and optimsing the game engine, qa and release. Most of the time and cost of a game is in the creation off all the game assets, the artwork, music, graphics. Poets are cheaper because they leverage already developed game assets.

Watch dogs Wii u isn't a port. It was developed concurrently with the other platforms, therefore the costs of developing the game assets is spread across all platforms including the Wii u. Therefore there is no way you can say it's approraching profitability on 25k preorders. 

Lastly, if a game sells for $40 , Ubisoft is lucky to get half that. Nintendo take a cut, the retailer takes a cut, packaging costs money. Ubi might see half that. same goes if the game sells for $60. 

It's largely built from the assets used the 360 and PS3 versions. You're basically spreading fixed costs of design and development to another platform. They're basically waiting to finish the 360 and PS3 versions to complete the port of the game. That's why there is a delay.

Fair point on additional costs. But even once you include additional costs, there's enough money on the table for Ubi to at least break even. Assuming they get a little less than half of the revenue -- that's about 2.5-3 million in gross revenue. And that's all only at 150k -- the total sales for such a game mature in the range between 200 - 400k.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
fleischr said:
czecherychestnut said:
fleischr said:
Carl2291 said:
Mr Khan said:

Because nobody was talking about AC4 on Wii U (i really didn't see too many people talking about AC4 at all). Watch Dogs has had a fair amount of hype across the board, including on the U.

AC as a franchise has never had much of a following on VGC. That said, you should never judge how well a title will sell based on how many people are talking about it.

Kind of old, but Ubisoft has been on the record as saying it costs less than 1.3 million to port games to the U.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-23-ubisoft-says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

Yes, this article dates to when the U had only the 360 and PS3 to compete with. But Watch Dogs, CoD, AC, and Batman all have 360 and PS3 releases.

At 150k, selling for an average price of lets say $40 when you account for bargain bin sales in the later half of sales lifetime that's $6 million. More than likely lifts most 3rd party ports to profit.

Regarding Watch Dogs on Wii U. 25k preorders at $60 = $1.5 million -- probably just enough get a long ways into porting the game and begin adding new Wii U specific features. The preorder number has been requested and provided in other weekly preorder reports on VGC.

Wii U version of Watch Dogs will come, and will be successful for Ubisoft. But there's no denying Watch Dogs on all other platforms is a far more material concern.

*sigh* this has to be one of the most misrepresented quotes going around on this site. For one, that quote pertains to the 5 ports of existing games that ubi released in 2012, those being Assassin’s Creed III, Sports Connection, Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Your Shape, Just Dance 4, and Rabbids Land. With the possible exception of Assassins creed III, none of those are huge games by any stretch, and therefore there €1m port cost is not indicative of normal port costs.

Secondly, a port is a game that's already finished elsewhere, and the process of porting involves copying the game assets across, recompiling and optimsing the game engine, qa and release. Most of the time and cost of a game is in the creation off all the game assets, the artwork, music, graphics. Poets are cheaper because they leverage already developed game assets.

Watch dogs Wii u isn't a port. It was developed concurrently with the other platforms, therefore the costs of developing the game assets is spread across all platforms including the Wii u. Therefore there is no way you can say it's approraching profitability on 25k preorders. 

Lastly, if a game sells for $40 , Ubisoft is lucky to get half that. Nintendo take a cut, the retailer takes a cut, packaging costs money. Ubi might see half that. same goes if the game sells for $60. 

It's largely built from the assets used the 360 and PS3 versions. You're basically spreading fixed costs of design and development to another platform. They're basically waiting to finish the 360 and PS3 versions to complete the port of the game. That's why there is a delay.

Fair point on additional costs. But even once you include additional costs, there's enough money on the table for Ubi to at least break even. Assuming they get a little less than half of the revenue -- that's about 2.5-3 million in gross revenue. And that's all only at 150k -- the total sales for such a game mature in the range between 200 - 400k.

but but ubisoft said that Wii U version was being developed with the current gen versions before development began on last gen. 

czecherychestnut said:

How am I wrong Zero? If a developer is producing a game that costs $30 million to make and its released on 3 platforms, is that cost not amortised over the sales across all three platforms, and therefore whether a game on a particular platform is profitable is determined by whether it covered its portion of the cost (namely 10 million)? The platform specific work is only a small portion of the overall budget, but that shared cost still needs to be covered by all platforms. 

If hypothetically a game was released on PS4 and XB1 that cost $20million, and the PS4 version made $15 million and the XB1 version $5million, would it be fair to go 'well the cost of compiling and QA'ing the XB1 specific code cost $2million, so yay XB1 version was profitable', lumping the remaining $18 million on the PS4 to make up the costs for developing the shared graphics, artwork, music, story writing, etc? No it wouldn't, because each version needs to pay for its own contribution of the total development cost. 

Now, its different if its an actual port where the game was completed on another platform, and at a later date it was recompiled and QA'd for a new platform. In that case the shared development has already been paid for, so the only cost is the platform specific work. However in Watch Dogs case, the Wii U version was developed in step with the other platforms until recently, so it needs to cover some of the shared development cost. From Ubisoft's statement, it sounds like Watch Dogs is getting more Wii U specific design and programming, so its likely that its costs will be higher. 

each part of the game content is ported as it get's finished. the end result, in term of costs, is the same as porting a complete game.

Meh...
I'll get the PC Version then. I dont wanna wait a few month longer just to get the wii u version.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

superchunk said:
Xen said:
superchunk said:
I think you're reading too much into it. They don't have a release date for any version, so the answer is "2014".

Ah? Everything aside from Wii U has a date.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-release-date-announced-for-everything-except-wii-u/1100-6417977/

Ah... it was announced today. I hadn't seen that yet. Still not a big deal to me. I still think Ubi saying 2014 is just purposefully not being specific as a PR line. We all know they had the team working on Wii U version help with other versions. Now that this work is nearing its end, they'll roll back and implement fixes they did to other versions. So end of May for others and likely end of summer for Wii U.

Hopefully that's how it ends.

I'm not a Wii U owner, but this seems offenssively unprofessional and rejective of customers, even to me.

Around the Network

Said repeatedly that I'd get the Wii U version on day one if it pushes graphics and has good controller integration. Otherwise, I wouldn't get it at all.

Doubt I'll be getting it. My $60 won't make much of a difference but I was looking forward to the game. Oh well.

How cruel towards the 12 persons who are looking forward to buying it on Wii U.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

ghettoglamour said:
How cruel towards the 12 persons who are looking forward to buying it on Wii U.

11 ...

I've lost interest in that game :p

UPDATE : The Wii U version of Ubisoft's much-anticipated open-world action game Watch Dogs is definitely not canceled, producer Dominic Guay has confirmed.

"Yeah it's still alive," Guay told Polygon. "We still haven't defined a ship date for it, though. So it's on hold, to a certain extent for shipping." He said a 2014 ship date is a "possibility.

Ubisoft should just cut the charade and abandon the Wii U, they'd probably get less flak for no ports rather than late ports.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank