By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Watch Dogs Wii U - Ubisoft reiterates that Watch Dogs is still coming to Wii U.

"it wasn't running on wii u initially"

didn't months ago they say it was being built first with the next gen versions lol.

Hopefully they do put good use of the gamepad for this game. Perhaps with the other thread of that crappy gif making people go crazy the Wii U version with its added feature may just make the game better.

Around the Network

Don`t know if this has been posted yet, but it goes into more detail on why the Wii U version remains without a date:

"The one casualty in all of this is the game's Wii U version. Nintendo's low install base makes work on its struggling home console an easy choice for re-prioritising.

"It's been paused," Morin states of the Wii U build, "which means delayed.

"There were some very talented programmers working on it and, when we started to point at the things we needed to fix, we needed those guys and their experience. It was a logical choice to say - let's get those people, let's pause the Wii U thing, let's make sure the experience is where we wanted to be.

Once other versions are done, "then Wii U can get back into place," he concludes." - in http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-06-why-watch-dogs-was-delayed

DélioPT said:
Don`t know if this has been posted yet, but it goes into more detail on why the Wii U version remains without a date:

"The one casualty in all of this is the game's Wii U version. Nintendo's low install base makes work on its struggling home console an easy choice for re-prioritising.

"It's been paused," Morin states of the Wii U build, "which means delayed.

"There were some very talented programmers working on it and, when we started to point at the things we needed to fix, we needed those guys and their experience. It was a logical choice to say - let's get those people, let's pause the Wii U thing, let's make sure the experience is where we wanted to be.

Once other versions are done, "then Wii U can get back into place," he concludes." - in http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-06-why-watch-dogs-was-delayed

I think you're reading too much into it. They don't have a release date for any version, so the answer is "2014".

superchunk said:
I think you're reading too much into it. They don't have a release date for any version, so the answer is "2014".

Ah? Everything aside from Wii U has a date.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-release-date-announced-for-everything-except-wii-u/1100-6417977/

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:

You keep saying this yet you've never provided any actual proof. The fact that Ubisoft is delaying Watch Dogs and Warner Bros is not bringing Arkham Knight showed that they're not satisfied with the peformance of their earlier titles. And AC4 hitting 400k by the end of the year is absolutely ridiculous. It's only selling 4k per week and dropping steadily. But let's say AC4 does manage to stay at that level of sales for the rest of the year. Do you think Ubisoft is happy about that, selling 4k copies at bargain bin prices? Comapred to the millions they sell on other consoles at full price? Where do you think their priorities are going to be Zero?

AC4 is not droping and even got a good boost last week. and of course ubisoft will be happy, it's money and what they sell on others is irrelevant.

Zero999 said:
Fusioncode said:

You keep saying this yet you've never provided any actual proof. The fact that Ubisoft is delaying Watch Dogs and Warner Bros is not bringing Arkham Knight showed that they're not satisfied with the peformance of their earlier titles. And AC4 hitting 400k by the end of the year is absolutely ridiculous. It's only selling 4k per week and dropping steadily. But let's say AC4 does manage to stay at that level of sales for the rest of the year. Do you think Ubisoft is happy about that, selling 4k copies at bargain bin prices? Comapred to the millions they sell on other consoles at full price? Where do you think their priorities are going to be Zero?

AC4 is not droping and even got a good boost last week. and of course ubisoft will be happy, it's money and what they sell on others is irrelevant.

You still didn't show me any proof about their games being profitable, so I'm just going to assume you're making things up. Now of course other platforms matter. Have you ever heard of opportunity cost? Why spend time working on a system for a few hundred thousand in sales when they get million in sales on other platforms. Opportunity cost is precisely the reason why Watch Dogs was prioritized for other platforms and the WiiU was left in the dust. You can't keep ignoring these facts. 3rd parties aren't avoiding the WiiU because they're "stupid", they have more money to make elsewhere. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

czecherychestnut said:
fleischr said:

Kind of old, but Ubisoft has been on the record as saying it costs less than 1.3 million to port games to the U.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-23-ubisoft-says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

Yes, this article dates to when the U had only the 360 and PS3 to compete with. But Watch Dogs, CoD, AC, and Batman all have 360 and PS3 releases.

At 150k, selling for an average price of lets say $40 when you account for bargain bin sales in the later half of sales lifetime that's $6 million. More than likely lifts most 3rd party ports to profit.

Regarding Watch Dogs on Wii U. 25k preorders at $60 = $1.5 million -- probably just enough get a long ways into porting the game and begin adding new Wii U specific features. The preorder number has been requested and provided in other weekly preorder reports on VGC.

Wii U version of Watch Dogs will come, and will be successful for Ubisoft. But there's no denying Watch Dogs on all other platforms is a far more material concern.

*sigh* this has to be one of the most misrepresented quotes going around on this site. For one, that quote pertains to the 5 ports of existing games that ubi released in 2012, those being Assassin’s Creed III, Sports Connection, Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Your Shape, Just Dance 4, and Rabbids Land. With the possible exception of Assassins creed III, none of those are huge games by any stretch, and therefore there €1m port cost is not indicative of normal port costs.

Secondly, a port is a game that's already finished elsewhere, and the process of porting involves copying the game assets across, recompiling and optimsing the game engine, qa and release. Most of the time and cost of a game is in the creation off all the game assets, the artwork, music, graphics. Poets are cheaper because they leverage already developed game assets.

Watch dogs Wii u isn't a port. It was developed concurrently with the other platforms, therefore the costs of developing the game assets is spread across all platforms including the Wii u. Therefore there is no way you can say it's approraching profitability on 25k preorders. 

Lastly, if a game sells for $40 , Ubisoft is lucky to get half that. Nintendo take a cut, the retailer takes a cut, packaging costs money. Ubi might see half that. same goes if the game sells for $60. 

you're very wrong on those costs calculations. the game costs in general and is ported to each platform as it goes along.

as for the rest, it's true about the profit per unit but we are talking about several hundred thousand units of sales in the long run. without a delay, it should easily have a WW opening of 100k+.

Carl2291 said:
Lets go for it, zero.

Stipulations?

I win if Assassin's Creed 4 sells more than 400k ltd on Wii U.

You win if Assassin's Creed 4 sells less than 400k ltd on Wii U.

if I win, you put "I WAS WRONG AND ZERO WAS RIGHT" on your sig for a month.

if you win, I put "I WAS WRONG AND CARL WAS RIGHT" on my sig for a month.

I'am still buying it, but it might be the last ubisoft game we see for the wii u for a long time.