By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Watch Dogs Wii U - Ubisoft reiterates that Watch Dogs is still coming to Wii U.

I've had it pre-ordered for months and am willing to wait.  I've got a backlog of games to get through anyways, and prolly won't be done with them when it does finally release.  I'm hopeful that it will be a quality game across the board no matter what platform it's on.

If the game honestly stinks, and the other system versions get awful reviews, I guess I'll have time to cancell my pre-order?

Around the Network

I still think there's a huge possibility that the game gets cancelled, or just not releasing at all, without any word of Ubisoft. It wouldn't be the first time anyway, that's why I'm worried. They did the same thing with Ghost Recon Online, two years ago they said that they wanted to focus on the PC version, and after that, nothing, Ubisoft didn't even have the modesty of cancelling the game officially.

It would be a shame, 'cause my PC can't run the game, I can't buy either a PS4 and less an Xbox One and I just don't want to buy it for 360. I hope it doesn't get cancelled.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

has anybody considered that it might actually use the gamepad in cool ways and thats why its being delayed and will be worth it?

oniyide said:
has anybody considered that it might actually use the gamepad in cool ways and thats why its being delayed and will be worth it?

Of course, and I think that's what the developer said. It could be that Ubisoft listened to the feedback and decided to put Gamepad features. In one interview before of the first delay of the game, Jonahtan Morin (I think that's his name) said that Watch Dogs on Wii U wouldn't have fantastic Gamepad support, only Off-TV Play, so it's probably that Ubisoft saw many guys saying "if it has Gamepad features I will buy it, so demanded to Ubisoft Bucarest to upgrade the Nintendo's console version. But it doesn't make sense either, since many people just wouldn't wait for "an ugly port" with little extra Gamepad tricks. I don't know. It makes more sense if they just delayed the game silently, like they have done with Ghost Recon Online.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Xen said:
superchunk said:
I think you're reading too much into it. They don't have a release date for any version, so the answer is "2014".

Ah? Everything aside from Wii U has a date.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-dogs-release-date-announced-for-everything-except-wii-u/1100-6417977/

Ah... it was announced today. I hadn't seen that yet. Still not a big deal to me. I still think Ubi saying 2014 is just purposefully not being specific as a PR line. We all know they had the team working on Wii U version help with other versions. Now that this work is nearing its end, they'll roll back and implement fixes they did to other versions. So end of May for others and likely end of summer for Wii U.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
czecherychestnut said:
fleischr said:

Kind of old, but Ubisoft has been on the record as saying it costs less than 1.3 million to port games to the U.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-23-ubisoft-says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

Yes, this article dates to when the U had only the 360 and PS3 to compete with. But Watch Dogs, CoD, AC, and Batman all have 360 and PS3 releases.

At 150k, selling for an average price of lets say $40 when you account for bargain bin sales in the later half of sales lifetime that's $6 million. More than likely lifts most 3rd party ports to profit.

Regarding Watch Dogs on Wii U. 25k preorders at $60 = $1.5 million -- probably just enough get a long ways into porting the game and begin adding new Wii U specific features. The preorder number has been requested and provided in other weekly preorder reports on VGC.

Wii U version of Watch Dogs will come, and will be successful for Ubisoft. But there's no denying Watch Dogs on all other platforms is a far more material concern.

*sigh* this has to be one of the most misrepresented quotes going around on this site. For one, that quote pertains to the 5 ports of existing games that ubi released in 2012, those being Assassin’s Creed III, Sports Connection, Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Your Shape, Just Dance 4, and Rabbids Land. With the possible exception of Assassins creed III, none of those are huge games by any stretch, and therefore there €1m port cost is not indicative of normal port costs.

Secondly, a port is a game that's already finished elsewhere, and the process of porting involves copying the game assets across, recompiling and optimsing the game engine, qa and release. Most of the time and cost of a game is in the creation off all the game assets, the artwork, music, graphics. Poets are cheaper because they leverage already developed game assets.

Watch dogs Wii u isn't a port. It was developed concurrently with the other platforms, therefore the costs of developing the game assets is spread across all platforms including the Wii u. Therefore there is no way you can say it's approraching profitability on 25k preorders. 

Lastly, if a game sells for $40 , Ubisoft is lucky to get half that. Nintendo take a cut, the retailer takes a cut, packaging costs money. Ubi might see half that. same goes if the game sells for $60. 

you're very wrong on those costs calculations. the game costs in general and is ported to each platform as it goes along.

as for the rest, it's true about the profit per unit but we are talking about several hundred thousand units of sales in the long run. without a delay, it should easily have a WW opening of 100k+.

How am I wrong Zero? If a developer is producing a game that costs $30 million to make and its released on 3 platforms, is that cost not amortised over the sales across all three platforms, and therefore whether a game on a particular platform is profitable is determined by whether it covered its portion of the cost (namely 10 million)? The platform specific work is only a small portion of the overall budget, but that shared cost still needs to be covered by all platforms. 

If hypothetically a game was released on PS4 and XB1 that cost $20million, and the PS4 version made $15 million and the XB1 version $5million, would it be fair to go 'well the cost of compiling and QA'ing the XB1 specific code cost $2million, so yay XB1 version was profitable', lumping the remaining $18 million on the PS4 to make up the costs for developing the shared graphics, artwork, music, story writing, etc? No it wouldn't, because each version needs to pay for its own contribution of the total development cost. 

Now, its different if its an actual port where the game was completed on another platform, and at a later date it was recompiled and QA'd for a new platform. In that case the shared development has already been paid for, so the only cost is the platform specific work. However in Watch Dogs case, the Wii U version was developed in step with the other platforms until recently, so it needs to cover some of the shared development cost. From Ubisoft's statement, it sounds like Watch Dogs is getting more Wii U specific design and programming, so its likely that its costs will be higher. 

oniyide said:

No, they delayed it because the whole development of the game was f*cked up and they needed everyone available to get the other versions (that will sell more, no doubt here) done as soon as possible.

But once that is done, and knowing that the development of the WiiU version will be faster as most of the problems will already be solved, they may use some of that extra time to come up with good ways to use the GamePad.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

It´s the same studio (Bucharest) that worked with ZombiU, in case people didn´t notice.

They seem to be using that team experience with WiiU development to create something different with the game for the Gamepad. I hope they can come with some creative solutions for that, similar to what Eidos did with Deus Ex Human Revolution

Anyway... I´m feeling that this game is not going to be good.

supernihilist said:
another dev that says they got the game running pretty fast...
Also he said WiiU version came later to production

if the end result is anything but solid i will be severely disappointed

BULL CRAP, BULL CRAP, BULL CRAP. I know people on this site never use their common since but this one was a no brainer. it has nothing to do with getting the game running on the wii u. Lets remember it was suppose to be released on all systems last year until GTAV came out then it was delayed. So the game has been finished for sometime. The real reason for the delay is simple. MARIO KART 8 RELEASES 3 DAYS AFTER WATCHDOGS RELEASES. Ubisoft think that their games have lack luster sales on wii u now, try putting watchdogs up against mario kart 8 on a nintendo platform. They have to release it at a later date. Fuck the lame excuses Ubisoft came up with. They can't compete with MK8 On wii u. Fact!

They haven't even ordered the pizzas yet! They just want to sit here talking about weiners!