By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What will sell more Final Fantasy 15 or Kingdom Hearts 3?

If Final Fantasy XV goes back to the quality of the older titles then I could easily see it selling around 10m. Kingdom Hearts will probably only do around 5-6m. Square has done a really poor job handling that franchise by releasing exclusive games on so many different consoles. The KH fanbase is fragmented and all over the place. At least with Final Fantasy the core games have always stayed on consoles, and last gen it became multi platform.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Zax said:
Surprised that so many are confidently saying FFXV. Kingdom Hearts has a huge fanbase, far more than the fanbase for any individual Final Fantasy game.

The games have also all performed well while Final Fantasy games vary greatly in sales.

Not to mention that more and more people are going off Final Fantasy all the time.

Also the 2 trailers can out the same time but KH3 got far more views.

It's also got vastly more google interest.

I don't think that KH has a bigger fanbase than any individual Final Fantasy game. FF7 for instance has a huge fanbase, it sold almost twice the copies of KH1, which is the best selling Kingdom Hearts game.

Final Fantasy sales do vary, but so far most of them have outsold KH1. Even 13, which many consider to be the worst Final Fantasy, outsold KH1. 

Final Fantasy has lost fans in recent years, but that's due to diminishing quality over the course of the last few games. If anybody can make a quality Final Fantasy release again, it's Tetsuya Nomura, if it gets good reviews most of those lost fans will come back.

Not really a fair comparison, KH 3 was a new announcement, whereas XV was announced back in 2006 as Versus 13, many people skipped watching XV's trailer simply because they assumed it was more of the same footage they'd already seen in previous Versus 13 trailers.

spemanig said:
Zero999 said:

that is highly dependant on quality. if square screws up with FF 15, KH3 should easily outsell it.

FF 13 begs to differ.

that was the first major screw up for the franchise, wich is much more damaged now and the fanbase will be cautious with 15.

shikamaru317 said:
Zax said:
Surprised that so many are confidently saying FFXV. Kingdom Hearts has a huge fanbase, far more than the fanbase for any individual Final Fantasy game.

The games have also all performed well while Final Fantasy games vary greatly in sales.

Not to mention that more and more people are going off Final Fantasy all the time.

Also the 2 trailers can out the same time but KH3 got far more views.

It's also got vastly more google interest.

I don't think that KH has a bigger fanbase than any individual Final Fantasy game. FF7 for instance has a huge fanbase, it sold almost twice the copies of KH1, which is the best selling Kingdom Hearts game.

Final Fantasy sales do vary, but so far most of them have outsold KH1. Even 13, which many consider to be the worst Final Fantasy, outsold KH1. 

Final Fantasy has lost fans in recent years, but that's due to diminishing quality over the course of the last few games. If anybody can make a quality Final Fantasy release again, it's Tetsuya Nomura, if it gets good reviews most of those lost fans will come back.

Not really a fair comparison, KH 3 was a new announcement, whereas XV was announced back in 2006 as Versus 13, many people skipped watching XV's trailer simply because they assumed it was more of the same footage they'd already seen in previous Versus 13 trailers.

Don't know what happened withn my other post but it didn't work for some reason.

As popular as the FFVII series I doubt it's bigger than the entire Kingdom Hearts fanbase.

A huge chunk of Final Fantasy's sales back on PS1-PS2 were from Japan were games would sell 2-3 million copies back then. If the PS4 doesn't take off in Japan like the PS3 didn't then FF15 may not even sell 2 million copies there. Meanwhile America's game sales ares still strong and there Kingdom Hearts is the more popular series now it seems.

And it's not just FF13's fault for what's happened to the franchise. FF11 was an online game, people didn't care for it, FF12 was a huge step backwards from FF10, FF14 is another online game. There hasn't been a game people have really liked since 2001.

And KH3 got more google interest than Final Fantasy Vs XIII too.

badgenome said:
The Wii U versions will sell exactly the same.

Around the Network

Kingdom Hearts is a franchise with consistent excellent quality in the main series and decent-great quality for anything that doesn't have Re: in the front. Final Fantasy has gotten worse with each entry since XII, and as such will depend on initial reception. Kingdom Hearts is a safe bet, while Final Fantasy is a wild card.

Final Fantasy XV. Kingdom Hearts 3 is probably going to end up getting cancelled anyways...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I think a good question is, will FFXV sell > 1 million in Japan alone? 2 million?

And will KH3 sell > 1 million in Japan alone?

Let's dismiss the XBone in Japan (since it will most likely be irrelevant there) and just consider the PS4 for this exercise. I'm using VGC data btw.

Historical data:

Kingdom Hearts

Mainline games:
KH - 940K
KH2 - 1.12M

Spin offs
KH BBS - 750K
KH 358/2 - 530K
KH CoM - 350K
KH 3D - 340K
KH 1.5HD - 240K
KH 2.5HD - TBD

Final Fantasy
Mainline games:
FFVII - 3.28M
FFVIII - 3.63M
FFIX - 2.78M
FFX - 2.73M
FFXI (MMO) - 150K
FFXII - 2.33M
FFXIII - 1.87M
FFXIV (MMO) - 260K

spin offs
FFX/X2 (Vita) - 250K
FFX/X2 (PS3) - 280K
FFX2 - 2.11M
FFXIII-2 - 890K
Lightning Returns - 420K
Crisis Core FFVII - 800K
FF Type 0 - 810K
Dissidia - 910K

There are only 3 main line FF games that did not sell over 2 million in Japan since PS1. 2 of them are MMOs and one was released on the struggling PS3 and is considered by many to be the worst mainline FF game ever. I'm very curious to see how FFXIV will sell on PS4 in April, if it gets decent numbers it could bode well for FFXV doing over 2 million there. SE knows they messed up with FFXIII and damaged the series. They want to move away from that and get FF back to its glory days. If they play their cards right, they could achieve it. FFX/X2 HD port (not a remake) selling over 500K is encouraging. If they don't fumble the series and if the PS4 can start selling well in JP, I can see 2+ million for FFXV there.

KH is going to be more difficult, but doable. It's been almost a decade since the last mainline KH, and they can now add Marvel and SW characters which would even get my interest. The numbers for the spin off games are healthy and encouraging for a possible million seller with KH3. I do think it's a mistake to have KH2.5HD on PS3 only.

Overall I think it'll depend on timing and how the PS4 does until the games release. I think both games should be released no later than Dec 2015 to have a shot at reaching those milestones.

HylianSwordsman said:
Kingdom Hearts is a franchise with consistent excellent quality in the main series and decent-great quality for anything that doesn't have Re: in the front. Final Fantasy has gotten worse with each entry since XII, and as such will depend on initial reception. Kingdom Hearts is a safe bet, while Final Fantasy is a wild card.

I don't know about re: coded but all other games are important to the story, meaning they are all mainline. and yes, they kept the quality through the series, unlike FF. 15 will have to be awesome to reignite FF fans.

Final Fantasy.