By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Let's put aside our differences and celebrate the new King

NintendoPie said:
Mummelmann said:

I could easily name at least ten members who were insufferable at the time. The constant "Nintendomination" chants, the smug spamming of launch aligned charts showing how the Wii would crush the PS2 in lifetime sales, the ridicule they dosed out if anyone dared suggest that the Wii wouldn't get to 50% or more marketshare etc. Nintendo fans were not the noble race they purport to be in here, by far.

There were threads on how close the Wii was to outselling the 360, a bunch of celebration threads when it did pass it summer 2007, countless "50% marketshare" threads, shipment threads, milestone updates etc. Pretty much exactly the way it is now, and people were just as mean childish back then, Nintendo fans were no excpetion (neither was I).

So is this a sign of things to come? PS4 won't get 50% market share, won't surpass the PS2, and end up having a slow drop off to death.

Oh my goodness, prophet status achieved.

Haha, well I happen to believe it won't outsell the PS2 or get 50% marketshare or more lifetime so I guess there's that.

To be fair though; the Wii had a pretty quick drop off to death, so that won't be the same imo...

If one thinks back, or better yet; goes back to those years, one can clearly see the same pattern, same thread topics, same hilariously misguided defensiveness, same gloating and smugness etc. The only difference is which fanbase is doing it.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Im surprised that Pezus, nor another PS fan has quoted my original statement more...that when Playstation wins, competition loses and becomes very hard to gain any meaningful momentum. I mean even when 360 was winning, Nintendo was enjoying their own prosperity and PS3 gained momentum every year. That was good times for everybody.

I'm curious if you guys care or just have the "screw the competition" mindset. I like brain-picking you guys.

That's really circumstanstial if you think about. Lets break down each generation of playstation.

When the PS1 entered the scene, Sega was already faltering and losing 3rd parties to Nintendo's snes.

So the PS1 took advantage of 3rd parties who didn't want to work for Nintendo/use cartidges, and the ps1 was marketting towards the teens rather than the other two. By the time the n64 came out, it was using a worse storage medium, so even here you can start to see the decline of 3rd party support for Nintendo.

Sega Released the Dreamcast in response to the 64, but it was so quickly that it damaged the brand and they lost both consumer and dev support. Add to the fact that the spent a ton of money on it and its not a stretch to understand why it failed.

Ps2 basically had a free year on the market like the Wii U, but unlike them, they had a huge amount of 3rd party support and popular appeal, so they had a lot of games. Not to mention it was a dvd player, it was really the first console to mass market mainstream media appeal. Dreamcast was technolgically superior but it didn't accomplish the same feat and didn't proliferate as well. Gamecube then released with less third party support no none game utility, and higher pricepoint. It would be as if the ps3 was 600$ without blue ray player (a slight exaggeration, but the effect early on is very similar). It also wasn't backwards compatible and it marketted to children more than teens like the PS2.

The Xbox came really late, brought in new innovative features, but it didn't have the library of the PS2 or the cost and had mainly appeal in US.

In 7th gen, 360 was first with improved features of the xbox and the third party support, that it needed to dominate the market. The PS3 came in a year late with a higher price, and worse performance, with a smaller library so it was definetly an uphill battle. The Wii really wasn't competiting with either of them and caught on to a motion gaming fad that catapulted it into ps2 mainstreamness. The only reason the PS3 managed to comeback is that it consistently had to take losses where the other consoles didn't. Free PSN vs XBL, continuing exclusive support well into 2014 while other companies stopped in 2012 and earlier, offering way more technology at a loss, then the 360 or Wii,etc...

8th gen is just starting but a lot of the mistakes made by Xbox and Nintendo, are just that, mistakes. The only one that seems to know who there market is right now  are Playstation and Steam

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Mummelmann said:

Haha, well I happen to believe it won't outsell the PS2 or get 50% marketshare or more lifetime so I guess there's that.

To be fair though; the Wii had a pretty quick drop off to death, so that won't be the same imo...

If one thinks back, or better yet; goes back to those years, one can clearly see the same pattern, same thread topics, same hilariously misguided defensiveness, same gloating and smugness etc. The only difference is which fanbase is doing it.

I wonder when we are going to get a Sony version of John Lucas. I'm excited!

NintendoPie said:
Mummelmann said:

I wonder when we are going to get a Sony version of John Lucas. I'm excited!

I think we already have one but he hasn't posted a lot lately, Gilgamesh!

We used to have several though, back in the day; there was Crazzyman, Hus, MikeB and leoJ version 1.0. Such fond memories, such amazingly crazy and ridiculous predictions.

Mummelmann said:

We used to have several though, back in the day; there was Crazzyman, Hus, MikeB and leoJ version 1.0. Such fond memories, such amazingly crazy and ridiculous predictions.

Yeah, Gilgamesh has kind of retreated from the Chartz. LeoJ also still posts, but he doesn't seem brave enough to post his "out of this world" predictions, anymore!

Never saw Crazzyman, Hus, or MikeB in action.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Mummelmann said:

Yeah, Gilgamesh has kind of retreated from the Chartz. LeoJ also still posts, but he doesn't seem brave enough to post his "out of this world" predictions, anymore!

Never saw Crazzyman, Hus, or MikeB in action.

They were legends, the three amigos of fantasically retarded bias, I haven't seen anything like it until recent times.

You know; I used to be kind of an asshole in here but somehow managed to never get banned, I had fairly heavy bias towards Sony and hated everything Wii related, I think that might be the reason why some senior members think that my critique of the Wii U and its strategies and aim assume is a lapse into old habbits.

A lot of members have really improved a lot, some that were practically unbearable a few years back have become valued posters whose input I greatly enjoy. There were some fierce, rabbid fans who managed to shed the worst of their bias and started contributing positively. But, there were also those who never improved, I see the same tendency with some of the newer users.

You, though, I have always liked. Except for the fact that you have nearly twice my post count and half the age!

BHR-3 said:
not happy i used to be a warrior on here battling and defending the PS3 i had a purpose, now my work here is useless

I know man! It sucks to win this gen so early :( I like a long drawn out battle.