By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1080p & 30 fps vs 720p & 60 fps

1080p & 30 fps or 720p & 60 fps?

1080p with 30 fps 116 50.22%

720p with 60 fps 115 49.78%

Total:231
DakonBlackblade said:

If Thief drops bellow 30 fps on both consoles its cause the developers are dumb and made a terribad job with the game cause its not even slightly visualy impressive and isnt suposed to tax either the XOne or the PS4 much.

Also can anyone clarify to me why devs always go 30fps or 60fps, why do we never see stuf in beteween like 45 fps or 40 fps ?

We do see games with floating framerate, between 30 and 60 fps. God of War 3 is and example, the medium fps is around 45, with some more demanding scenes (like when the camera zooms out and Kratos is basically just a bunch of pixels in the screen) the game will come closer to 30 and in less demanding areas it will come close to 60. Of course, that flutuation is pretty well done in this case without tearing or artifacts. Metal Gear Rising has this framerate too and I believe that CoD had the same 40-50fps. Actually, a lot of the games praised by their "smooth fps" are actually running at 45 or so.

About your first point, yes they made a terrible job. It's not about 30 vs 60 fps, Thief is about a terrible rushed port to the new consoles. A lot of hype and in the end they underdelivered.

Around the Network
mind said:
Zkuq said:

30 FPS isn't necessarily locked either, it's not rare to see a game go significantly below 30 FPS or sometimes even below 20 FPS. Thus, not a fair comparison. Not only that, but if you had a game that couldn't run reliably at 720p@60, it definitely couldn't run reliably at 1080p@30 due to the latter having 12.5% more pixels per second, ie. it actually requires slightly more power than the former. To put it another way, it you can run 1080p@30 reliably, you can definitely run 720p@60 reliably.

And finally, this poll was about resolution, not graphics, so you dodged the actual question. Also, I imagine that for the purposes of this poll, you ASSUME the framerate stays locked at whatever was stated.

I only did that, because i talk about the real state of thing,  as the vast majority, i suppose.

It's rare to see a "30 fps" console game with average fps lower than 28, never i saw game with avg fps lower 25, however, ~45 avg fps for "60 fps" games are common standart.

That's because 30fps games use 60fps mode on the tv, and temporarily drop to 20fps when a frame goes over budget.
With a 60fps game, the first step down is to 30fps. If a 30 and 60 fps drop every other frame you end up with avg 25 vs 45.

While it's true 720p60 is less than half the total pixels per second of 1080p30, I've never had a game double in frame rate on my pc by dropping the res from 1080p to 720p. It's not that straight forward.

SvennoJ said:

Why not 1080p60 anyway? Several games already hit that target last gen.

320x350 crop, left side downsampled to 720p and upsampled to 1080p again. (Original)

Because 8th gen consoles still have limitations, 1080p with 60 fps isn't always an option. Even with the incredible, unprecedented power of the PS4, 1st party development has run into limitations of the hardware.

When you look at a still pictures seems 1080p very desireable. So to be fair, why don't you show side by side videos of 30 fps vs 60 fps?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Zkuq said:
DakonBlackblade said:

If Thief drops bellow 30 fps on both consoles its cause the developers are dumb and made a terribad job with the game cause its not even slightly visualy impressive and isnt suposed to tax either the XOne or the PS4 much.

Also can anyone clarify to me why devs always go 30fps or 60fps, why do we never see stuf in beteween like 45 fps or 40 fps ?

Screens typically function at multiples of 30 Hz, mostly 60 Hz and 120 Hz. It's easier to fit the frames to the screen's refresh rate if it's multiples of 30. If the screen is 60 Hz and the game is 60 FPS, it's a simple 1:1 fit. If the screen is 60 Hz and the game is 30 FPS, you show every rendered frame for two screen frames. If it's 45 FPS... Well, have fun figuring that out! It's possible but it won't be as smooth. I'm guessing you basically show every other rendered frame for one screen frame and every other rendered frame for two screen frames, and it's probably not very hard to imagine how it's not going to be very smooth.

Ty for this explanation.

Mr Puggsly said:

Because 8th gen consoles still have limitations, 1080p with 60 fps isn't always an option. Even with the incredible, unprecedented power of the PS4, 1st party development has run into limitations of the hardware.

When you look at a still pictures seems 1080p very desireable. So to be fair, why don't you show side by side videos of 30 fps vs 60 fps?

I would if I knew how...
Any you tube comparison is limited to 30fps, however I found this:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7hwwq5/dmc--devil-may-cry-60fps-comparison
Either my laptop or internet connection can't keep up, because I don't see a difference.

I do like the smoothness of Burnout paradise, Wipeout HD and GT5. It's definitely noticeable in a racing game on a big screen.
I guess my laptop can't keep up, not seeing any difference in Burnout either: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxbw2w_60fps-vs-30fps_tech

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I would if I knew how...
Any you tube comparison is limited to 30fps, however I found this:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/7hwwq5/dmc--devil-may-cry-60fps-comparison
Either my laptop or internet connection can't keep up, because I don't see a difference.

I do like the smoothness of Burnout paradise, Wipeout HD and GT5. It's definitely noticeable in a racing game on a big screen.
I guess my laptop can't keep up, not seeing any difference in Burnout either: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxbw2w_60fps-vs-30fps_tech

I'm just pointing out its easier to make a case for 1080p when people can post pictures of it. 60 fps is such an amazing feat finding video doing it is difficult.

None of those videos achieve 60 fps. According to Fraps that DmC video does do ~45 fps. The Burnout video is more like ~25 fps.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I'd rather have 1080p for the most part than 60fps.

Somini said:
BluGamer23 said:
is this another thread trying to justify xbone?

What gave it away? The title? This discussion about accepting a lower resolution because you can see it all of a sudden is utterly stupid. We're gamers, WE'RE THE FIRST ONES TO NOTICE.

LOL.. simple any resolution talk now is about convincing others how games dont need to be 1080p... therefore justifying the xbone. =)

I would rather have a stable static 30 FPS and 1080p than a 60FPS lower res. It's when it starts to drop below 30FPS then thats the problem, and i would rather have 900p and 30FPs than 1080p and it all over the shop.

Sounds like Thief is a bit of a mess of a game then if both are running under 30 FPS at times... glad i paid only £36 for it and not amazons £47.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

1080p except for shooters and racing games