By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1080p & 30 fps vs 720p & 60 fps

1080p & 30 fps or 720p & 60 fps?

1080p with 30 fps 116 50.22%

720p with 60 fps 115 49.78%

Total:231
BreedinBull said:
I like how close the numbers are. Like me personally, I can't tell 30fps from 60 fps but by damn i can see 720p vs 1080p...on my tv anyway, my tv spits out 720p like crap and makes 1080p look like heaven (being 60+ inches might have something to do with this though :P), while on the flipside I know there are lots of people out there that are the exact opposite of me. 50/50 sounds like a good split for something like this :)

im one of them :P but each person is different :)

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

Around the Network

completely depends on the game

If 1080p30 means everything between 1 and 30fps like in the last generation then 720p60 for sure. If 1080p30 really means not a single drop to 29 or lower then again depends on the game.

Also art-style games that hide resolution can have 720p but generic looking brown/grey pseudo realistic games should be 1080 unless they are racers that need 60fps precision etc.

mind said:

Everything aside, "60 fps" has always been a marketing play, and it is now more then ever, it's never locked 60 fps, often it is only ~45, "60 fps" is always a choice in a situation when there is locked 30 won't do shit to the graphics.

So, yes, in a choice between better graphics(not just resolution) and HFR(30+), i always choose first.

30 FPS isn't necessarily locked either, it's not rare to see a game go significantly below 30 FPS or sometimes even below 20 FPS. Thus, not a fair comparison. Not only that, but if you had a game that couldn't run reliably at 720p@60, it definitely couldn't run reliably at 1080p@30 due to the latter having 12.5% more pixels per second, ie. it actually requires slightly more power than the former. To put it another way, it you can run 1080p@30 reliably, you can definitely run 720p@60 reliably.

And finally, this poll was about resolution, not graphics, so you dodged the actual question. Also, I imagine that for the purposes of this poll, you ASSUME the framerate stays locked at whatever was stated.

If Thief drops bellow 30 fps on both consoles its cause the developers are dumb and made a terribad job with the game cause its not even slightly visualy impressive and isnt suposed to tax either the XOne or the PS4 much.

Also can anyone clarify to me why devs always go 30fps or 60fps, why do we never see stuf in beteween like 45 fps or 40 fps ?

DakonBlackblade said:

If Thief drops bellow 30 fps on both consoles its cause the developers are dumb and made a terribad job with the game cause its not even slightly visualy impressive and isnt suposed to tax either the XOne or the PS4 much.

Also can anyone clarify to me why devs always go 30fps or 60fps, why do we never see stuf in beteween like 45 fps or 40 fps ?

Screens typically function at multiples of 30 Hz, mostly 60 Hz and 120 Hz. It's easier to fit the frames to the screen's refresh rate if it's multiples of 30. If the screen is 60 Hz and the game is 60 FPS, it's a simple 1:1 fit. If the screen is 60 Hz and the game is 30 FPS, you show every rendered frame for two screen frames. If it's 45 FPS... Well, have fun figuring that out! It's possible but it won't be as smooth. I'm guessing you basically show every other rendered frame for one screen frame and every other rendered frame for two screen frames, and it's probably not very hard to imagine how it's not going to be very smooth.

Around the Network

1080p30 all the way especialluy as I prefer to game on a projector.
30fps vs 60fps is much less noticeable while gaming at low light level, while 1080p vs 720p stands out like night and day. On tv I still prefer 1080p, native res just looks better on LCD.
Why not 1080p60 anyway? Several games already hit that target last gen.

If the game is stylized or low detail then 720p is fine. 1080p does add sharper lines but for games like mario 3D world is doesn't matter, everything is still clearly visible. For games with lots of fine geometry 720p is really too low nowadays. What's the point in increasing draw distance and better geometry if it's just going to be blurry:

320x350 crop, left side downsampled to 720p and upsampled to 1080p again. (Original)

DakonBlackblade said:

It might be possible with HDMI 2.0 48fps should be included in the new standard, 120fps as well.
However the consoles are stuck with HDMI 1.4 which only supports 24,30,50,60hz

All tvs should support 50hz nowadays, so there is no reason not to offer a 50fps locked option while keeping 60fps for older tvs. It's a smaller difference than 900p vs 1080p but all bits help.

Ofcourse if the game can't hold 50fps, it drops to 25fps. You can only divide the max framerate by whole numbers (repeating frames) or you end up with sceen tearing. HDMI 2.0 120fps can help with that. Default display each frame twice to get 60fps. Display a frame 3 times when running out of budget to temporarily drop to 40fps instead of direct to 30fps. Or use it to make a 40fps locked game, repeating every frame 3 times.
Next gen should have more options for frame rate.

Zkuq said:
mind said:

Everything aside, "60 fps" has always been a marketing play, and it is now more then ever, it's never locked 60 fps, often it is only ~45, "60 fps" is always a choice in a situation when there is locked 30 won't do shit to the graphics.

So, yes, in a choice between better graphics(not just resolution) and HFR(30+), i always choose first.

30 FPS isn't necessarily locked either, it's not rare to see a game go significantly below 30 FPS or sometimes even below 20 FPS. Thus, not a fair comparison. Not only that, but if you had a game that couldn't run reliably at 720p@60, it definitely couldn't run reliably at 1080p@30 due to the latter having 12.5% more pixels per second, ie. it actually requires slightly more power than the former. To put it another way, it you can run 1080p@30 reliably, you can definitely run 720p@60 reliably.

And finally, this poll was about resolution, not graphics, so you dodged the actual question. Also, I imagine that for the purposes of this poll, you ASSUME the framerate stays locked at whatever was stated.

I only did that, because i talk about the real state of thing,  as the vast majority, i suppose.

It's rare to see a "30 fps" console game with average fps lower than 28, never i saw game with avg fps lower 25, however, ~45 avg fps for "60 fps" games are common standart.

Nintendo 2018

English is not my native language.

Depends on the genre.
I alyays prefer 60 FPS in racing games, platformers, fighting games, fast-paced action games or shooters.
30 FPS are enough for 3rd person action-adventures, stealth games or RPGs

1080/30 is better than 720/60 but 720p with a 1080p upscaler @60fps can better than 1080/30 for certain types of games. I think locked framerate is more important than unlocked as well.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling