By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Which graphics card should I pick up?

TheJimbo1234 said:

The 780ti is ober £100 more than a 760 Mars....

GTX760 mars - $650 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121839)
GTX760 Superclocked - $270 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932)
GTX780TI - $673 (http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Enthusiast-Edition-VCGGTX780T3XPB-Graphics/dp/B00GDQ0V4K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1393835237&sr=8-6&keywords=780+ti)

Last time i went to school, 540 was 110 less than 650, and 673 was only 23 more.

So do I spend $100 less for better performance and the failsafe of having a card left if one GPU dies?
Or do i spend $23 more and have both better performance AND no microstutter?

TheJimbo1234 said:

Also when did Quadro carfs become 10x more expensive than they are?

Let's take their flagship quadro shall we, the K6000

RRP $5999.99 - Currently ON SALE at newegg for $4999.99, even ON SALE, it is 5x the price of a Titan Black, lets see how much bang it gives you for your buck.

Quadro K6000
Market cost: $4800 - $5300
Cuda cores :2,880
TMU:256
ROPs:48
Mem:12GB
Mem bus:384-bit
Mem bandwidth:288GB/s
Single precision FP:5.2Tflop
Double precision FP: 1.4Tflops

Titan Black
Market cost: $1090 - $1500
TMU:240
Mem:6GB
Mem bandwidth:336GB/s
Single precision FP:5.64Tflop
Double precision FP: 1.5-1.8Tflops

So what do I get if i spend 4-5 times as much for a Quadro?

0 more cores
16 TMU
6gb more memory
0 more bits on mem bus
48GB/s less memory bandwidth
0.44 Tflops SPFP
0.1-0.4 DPFP

Totally worthwhile right?, the K6000 IS better than the titan, and it IS better than the titan black, but not by much, and certainly not enough to be worth the 4-5x price difference when three titan blacks both costs less and outperforms it.

TheJimbo1234 said:

And it is still a waste. Gaming at 4k - why? What game honestly benefits immensely from that? Games have been held back for so long due to the consoles, buying high end for some time has been nothing but a waste.

Because I have a $4K display anyway for work purposes, why wouldn't i set my games to run at that resolution if I can?, and again, when I am sat there gaming at 4K with a silky smooth 60fps never dipping below the vsync, do you think i think to myself "man i spent so much money to experience this, it looks so pretty, and its so smooth, but i could have just spent $500 on a "next gen" console and settled for sub 1080p and occasionally scraping 60fps"? I certainly do not.

This is no different from someone buying an expensive car, boat or house, you could argue (i.e. your tone on the topic), "but a cheap car would work too", "but a wooden rowboat floats on water too", "but you can live in a 1 bedroom flat if you really want to.

Indeed you would be right, in all such cases, however those with the means, can go out and buy the things they actually want, and enjoy them.

I work my ass off in my jobs, i find enjoyment in being able to close an application i am working in, and fire up a game to kick back and relax, so to me the very idea that someone else would call it a waste is the epitome of a joke.

NotStan said:
Remember, if he's American there might be different prices across the atlantic compared to UK, so difference might be minuscule for them. Why are you arguing with each other if you have completely different set ups anyway?

To put it bluntly, hes arguing because he recommended a pointless card, got told it was pointless then went on the defensive, tried to call bullshit on me, got proven wrong then got all salty about the topic.

Essentially this thread was to help you find a card for your comp, so having people recommend expensive (and redundant) cards then scoff at other peoples suggestions is detrimental to your thread, and to anyone else who is in the same boat as you and comes across this thread.

To be blunt, bad advice is bad advice, no matter how he bends the argument.

Around the Network

@High end cards discussion: Personally, before going with 760SLI or the Mars one, I'd go with a R9 290 with an aftermarket cooler. Not only it will cost about the same as the 760 SLI (at least at newegg Asus DirectCU II) but will give similar performance and use less power and less troubles with the drivers.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

@High end cards discussion: Personally, before going with 760SLI or the Mars one, I'd go with a R9 290 with an aftermarket cooler. Not only it will cost about the same as the 760 SLI (at least at newegg Asus DirectCU II) but will give similar performance and use less power and less troubles with the drivers.

It would be worth the minor price difference to go with the 290X, but only with custom cooling, the reference card design runs far too hot.

lucidium said:
JEMC said:

It would be worth the minor price difference to go with the 290X, but only with custom cooling, the reference card design runs far too hot.

I agree that AMD's reference cooler is... to be polite, not up to the task. That's why I linked the Asus card (which I've read a review and not only is quieter and cooler, but even overclocked uses a bit less power than the reference card)

About the minor price difference, there's a moment where you have to put a stop. You always can get something better for a bit more.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
lucidium said:
JEMC said:

I agree that AMD's reference cooler is... to be polite, not up to the task. That's why I linked the Asus card (which I've read a review and not only is quieter and cooler, but even overclocked uses a bit less power than the reference card)

About the minor price difference, there's a moment where you have to put a stop. You always can get something better for a bit more.

On price generally yes but over here in japan and according to a friend of mine in Canada the difference is litterally a few dollars

Around the Network
lucidium said:
JEMC said:
lucidium said:
JEMC said:

On price generally yes but over here in japan and according to a friend of mine in Canada the difference is litterally a few dollars

Here in Spain the difference is important.

Looking only at one well known store, PcComponentes.com, the cheapest 290 with aftermarket cooler can be found for 385 € (Sapphire) yet the cheapest 290X, that comes with the reference cooler, is 475 € (Sapphire again) and climbs to 520 € with an aftermarket cooler (Gigabyte). To get a better picture, the GTX 780 can be found for 445 € and the 780 Ti for 609 €.

Maybe in Japan and Canada there are more bitcoin miners than here.

JEMC said:
lucidium said:
JEMC said:
lucidium said:
JEMC said:

Looking only at one well known store, PcComponentes.com, the cheapest 290 with aftermarket cooler can be found for 385 € (Sapphire) yet the cheapest 290X, that comes with the reference cooler, is 475 € (Sapphire again) and climbs to 520 € with an aftermarket cooler (Gigabyte). To get a better picture, the GTX 780 can be found for 445 € and the 780 Ti for 609 €.

man, spain SUCKS for pc parts

lucidium said:
JEMC said:
lucidium said:
JEMC said:
lucidium said:
JEMC said:

man, spain SUCKS for pc parts

Yep, sometimes.

lucidium said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

The 780ti is ober £100 more than a 760 Mars....

GTX760 mars - $650 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121839)
GTX760 Superclocked - $270 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932)
GTX780TI - $673 (http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Enthusiast-Edition-VCGGTX780T3XPB-Graphics/dp/B00GDQ0V4K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1393835237&sr=8-6&keywords=780+ti)

Last time i went to school, 540 was 110 less than 650, and 673 was only 23 more.

So do I spend $100 less for better performance and the failsafe of having a card left if one GPU dies?
Or do i spend $23 more and have both better performance AND no microstutter?

TheJimbo1234 said:

Also when did Quadro carfs become 10x more expensive than they are?

Let's take their flagship quadro shall we, the K6000

RRP $5999.99 - Currently ON SALE at newegg for $4999.99, even ON SALE, it is 5x the price of a Titan Black, lets see how much bang it gives you for your buck.

Quadro K6000
Market cost: $4800 - $5300
TMU:256
Mem:12GB
Mem bandwidth:288GB/s
Single precision FP:5.2Tflop
Double precision FP: 1.4Tflops

Titan Black
Market cost: $1090 - $1500
TMU:240
Mem:6GB
Mem bandwidth:336GB/s
Single precision FP:5.64Tflop
Double precision FP: 1.5-1.8Tflops

So what do I get if i spend 4-5 times as much for a Quadro?

0 more cores
16 TMU
6gb more memory
0 more bits on mem bus
48GB/s less memory bandwidth
0.44 Tflops SPFP
0.1-0.4 DPFP

Totally worthwhile right?, the K6000 IS better than the titan, and it IS better than the titan black, but not by much, and certainly not enough to be worth the 4-5x price difference when three titan blacks both costs less and outperforms it.

TheJimbo1234 said:

And it is still a waste. Gaming at 4k - why? What game honestly benefits immensely from that? Games have been held back for so long due to the consoles, buying high end for some time has been nothing but a waste.

Because I have a $4K display anyway for work purposes, why wouldn't i set my games to run at that resolution if I can?, and again, when I am sat there gaming at 4K with a silky smooth 60fps never dipping below the vsync, do you think i think to myself "man i spent so much money to experience this, it looks so pretty, and its so smooth, but i could have just spent $500 on a "next gen" console and settled for sub 1080p and occasionally scraping 60fps"? I certainly do not.

This is no different from someone buying an expensive car, boat or house, you could argue (i.e. your tone on the topic), "but a cheap car would work too", "but a wooden rowboat floats on water too", "but you can live in a 1 bedroom flat if you really want to.

Indeed you would be right, in all such cases, however those with the means, can go out and buy the things they actually want, and enjoy them.

I work my ass off in my jobs, i find enjoyment in being able to close an application i am working in, and fire up a game to kick back and relax, so to me the very idea that someone else would call it a waste is the epitome of a joke.

NotStan said:
Remember, if he's American there might be different prices across the atlantic compared to UK, so difference might be minuscule for them. Why are you arguing with each other if you have completely different set ups anyway?

To put it bluntly, hes arguing because he recommended a pointless card, got told it was pointless then went on the defensive, tried to call bullshit on me, got proven wrong then got all salty about the topic.

Essentially this thread was to help you find a card for your comp, so having people recommend expensive (and redundant) cards then scoff at other peoples suggestions is detrimental to your thread, and to anyone else who is in the same boat as you and comes across this thread.

To be blunt, bad advice is bad advice, no matter how he bends the argument.

I am in the UK so this is actually a good point. The Mars is considerably cheaper than the other options.

As for quadro V titan - it is about what they are designed for and the drivers used. The quadro is optimised for cuda core use in its design and the drivers reflect that, along with extreme periods of running. The titan is not. It is made for games, nothing more. There is a reason why the price difference is so large, plus why would Nvidia release a card which would cripple their pro range? 

So now money that could have been spent on many other things is either £450 or £2500+. What happened to the normal middle ground? Taking extremes is always the way with a naff argument.

If you couldn't access race tracks, then yes, what you said would be true about cars etc. But unlike games, you can access them. Games, like it or not, are limited horribly by the consoles. Heck, they have just moved over to DX 11 after how many years? I like games too, but I would not spend that much money when the hardware has out performed games for close to a decade now. 

TheJimbo1234 said:

If you couldn't access race tracks, then yes, what you said would be true about cars etc. But unlike games, you can access them. Games, like it or not, are limited horribly by the consoles. Heck, they have just moved over to DX 11 after how many years? I like games too, but I would not spend that much money when the hardware has out performed games for close to a decade now. 

But again, you are looking at it purely from a "gaming" perspective, with little knowledge of the development perspective.

To put it bluntly, one of my jobs is a product designer, where the cuda cores and gpu rendering comes in handy (but not flat out essential), the other is games developer, where testing high poly maps and models requires more horsepower than the final version which ends up shipping, especially during the optimization phase.

So I will say one last time, You think it is money wasted, for me it makes perfect sense, as it works extremely well for development in both my jobs, and for high end gaming in my downtime.