By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Which graphics card should I pick up?

lucidium said:
JEMC said:
Yes, and the GPU too.

But don't worry, you don't have a no-brand, cheap PSU. You should be fine... and a good PSU would cost more than $50.

Low end OCZ power supplies are terrible.

Not true. If his works, it works.

Around the Network

Titan Black or 780ti

Captain_Tom said:
lucidium said:
JEMC said:
Yes, and the GPU too.

But don't worry, you don't have a no-brand, cheap PSU. You should be fine... and a good PSU would cost more than $50.

his works with his current setup.

does not mean it will still work without issue, when changing hardware.

But hey, have a read.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/46331-why-do-people-dislike-ocz.html
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695436
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1410607
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/171784-ocz-files-for-bankruptcy-toshiba-to-acquire-assets-but-warranties-could-be-lost

Your biggest problem is, OCZ only make their high end power supplies (and even they are miles behind the competition), all of their mid to low end range are REBADGED units from random chinese and taiwanese manufacturers you'll likely never have heard of before, as such you are paying more just for the OCZ sticker when in reality its a shitty unit.

lucidium said:
Captain_Tom said:
lucidium said:
JEMC said:
Yes, and the GPU too.

his works with his current setup.

does not mean it will still work without issue, when changing hardware.

I am not saying it's invincible.  I am saying that it isn't going to stop working because someone printed "OCZ" on it.

Captain_Tom said:

I am not saying it's invincible.  I am saying that it isn't going to stop working because someone printed "OCZ" on it.

Read my edit to above post.
500W won't get him very far with a modern GPU unless he goes for something low on power usage, which wouldn' give him much of a performance boost at all.

Sticking with a low end 500W unit with a higher performing GPU that draws more power potentially puts the rest of his PC components at risk because those low end OCZ units have no surge protection, no overvoltage protection and no current filtering.

Around the Network
lucidium said:
Captain_Tom said:

500W won't get him very far with a modern GPU unless he goes for something low on power usage, which wouldn' give him much of a performance boost at all.

Sticking with a low end 500W unit with a higher performing GPU that draws more power potentially puts the rest of his PC components at risk because those low end OCZ units have no surge protection, no overvoltage protection and no current filtering.

Dude look at my sig, I understand PC's lol.  Having siad that, I didn't see the wattage.  Yeah its on the lower end, but idk I really don't see why his 500w couldn't power a 250W gpu.  As long as his other components aren't power hungry it should be fine.  

However did he say what ram he had?  It's more than 4gb right?

Captain_Tom said:
lucidium said:
Captain_Tom said:

Dude look at my sig, I understand PC's lol.  Having siad that, I didn't see the wattage.  Yeah its on the lower end, but idk I really don't see why his 500w couldn't power a 250W gpu.  As long as his other components aren't power hungry it should be fine.  

However did he say what ram he had?  It's more than 4gb right?

It isnt just about the overall wattage of the PSU, its about how much wattage/amps it can provide in a stable form over each rail, your average cheap 500w unit is going to struggle like hell to handle the draw from a 200w+ card even if the combined draw of all components in the system is under 500w total

I firmly believe "making do" with the most critical "potential disaster" component of a PC (the PSU) is the worst option.

I strongly advocate the use of a high end, high quality PSU for anything other than a "facebook machine".

Besides, if you invest in a good PSU it will outlast every other component in your PC and the warranty will reflect that, the warranty on my Corsair AX1200i for example is 7 years manufacturer replacement, it will likely be the only part on my PC that is the same in 7 years, and I am pretty sure unless im going nuts with the multi-gpu in 7 years time it will still meet my needs even then.

With regards to longevity, upgradability, reliability and protection of your system, NOTHING is more important than a good, quality power supply.

I cannot stress this enough, and if you're serious about knowing your stuff then I see no reason why you would disagree with this.

Well the problem was the fact that it was a prebrought unit, so I didn't have a choice on the PSU matter. The first PSU which was even shittier(If that was even possible) has croaked within the year, so I had that replaced for the OCZ (By the manufacturer, again had no choice), which has still lasted a good 1.5 years. Am not entirely sure about high end GPU's because the prices are waaay out of my ballpark, and don't really want to replace my PSU soon afterward.

I think if anything, it's between 750ti

http://www.box.co.uk/MSI_NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_750Ti_Video_Graph_1553589.html?gclid=CLK_mLfH1rwCFYcSwwodM0QAjA

Or R9 270

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-xfx-radeon-r9-270-boost-28nm-5600mhz-gddr5-gpu-900mhz-boost-925mhz-1280-streams-dp-dvi-hdmi-plus

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

NotStan said:
Ok I checked my PSU and its ocz model ocz-cxs500W

All I can read on the motherboard is its asus turbov

GTX 760 is a good deal for that price, however if AMD cards come down, they are better than Nvidia at the moment. I would also not upgrade your psu as there is no point with your other hardware.

BenVTrigger said:
Titan Black or 780ti

Ha - FAIL!!!

The Asus Rog Mars 760 beats both of those cards for £450.

Just because they have the highest price tag does not mean they are the best.

lucidium said:
JEMC said:

Really?

I've seen a few reviews of OCZ power supplies and they looked good. Or at least, not that bad.

The problem is reviews barely ever test longevity and just churn out the factory numbers, most reviews are done in a matter of days, more often in just hours, which isnt enough time to test long term stability.

Ive had a lot of power units die, some when i knew full well i was stressing them, others when they were well within operational limits, of the few that died under the later conditions, 80% of them were OCZ, all their various versions, modstream, gamer, etc.

I now stick entirely with corsair and antec mid to high end units.

Cheap units arent worth the shipping let alone the asking price, just a sure fire way to damage your system.

Well, Corsair are no longer that trustworthy

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/13/corsair_rm750_750w_power_supply_review/9#.UxBnI4WGdco

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/01/15/corsair_cs550m_550w_power_supply_review/9#.UxBnPYWGdco

What about Enermax? They are rather consistent and, if I'm not mistaken, they are also the providers of many other brands.

In any case, NotStan, given that you'll replace your card with something that will use aprox. the same (270) or less (750Ti) power, you should be "safe" by now.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.