By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Which graphics card should I pick up?

lucidium said:

Besides, I can pay for all three titan blacks with one weeks salary, so telling me buying these things for work will give me "diminishing returns" is absolutely laughable.

Sir, you don't know how I envy you now.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
lucidium said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

Dual chip gpus tend to always have better performance than native SLI. As for your work, it is still diminishing returns as you are buying top  end gpus.

The cuda cores expontentially increase rendering speeds and allow for much more complex computation in a short amount of time, a large part of what my work entails, iray stacks sli cores beautifully and makes every bit of use of them as it possibly can.

Besides, I can pay for all three titan blacks with one weeks salary, so telling me buying these things for work will give me "diminishing returns" is absolutely laughable.

So why the heck don't you have Nvidias actual professional line which come with far more cuda cores than? From how it looks, you merely have a horrible hybrid which is an overkill gaming PC and a poor work station combined. I smell a rat here.

Jeez wtf has this thread turned into.

I ended up picking up GTX 750ti with ACIV for £120 on the bay, even if it does drop sub 100, it's not really that much of an effect on me atm.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

TheJimbo1234 said:
lucidium said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

Dual chip gpus tend to always have better performance than native SLI. As for your work, it is still diminishing returns as you are buying top  end gpus.

The cuda cores expontentially increase rendering speeds and allow for much more complex computation in a short amount of time, a large part of what my work entails, iray stacks sli cores beautifully and makes every bit of use of them as it possibly can.

So why the heck don't you have Nvidias actual professional line which come with far more cuda cores than? From how it looks, you merely have a horrible hybrid which is an overkill gaming PC and a poor work station combined. I smell a rat here.

Because I already own a substantially more expensive tesla K20X (as i have mentioned many times before on these forums), the K20X however is piss poor for gaming, so right now the configuration is the dual xeon server with the K20X networked as a render slave, then the two more versitile systems for myself and my wife to use for games, while assisting with gpu rendering when needed.

It's not rocket science, but it seems more like you want to push your agenda of "no matter what you say or what you use it for your gpus are a waste", which as i've illustrated, is quite stupid.

TheJimbo1234 said:

And yet, they don't.

the RRP of two GTX680 was $1 cheaper than the RRP of the 690, but in reality going SLI 680 panned out at being anywhere from $50 to $150 cheaper, yet consistantly performed better, and only used around 30W more power at maximum load, the same outcome is reflected in every dual GPU version compared to SLI of two cards of the same family, so you're just plain wrong.

NotStan said:

I ended up picking up GTX 750ti with ACIV for £120 on the bay, even if it does drop sub 100, it's not really that much of an effect on me atm.

Tbh i think hes just raging because theres people on this forum that know what theyre talking about.

Nice choice btw, should last you quite well for the price.

lucidium said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
lucidium said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

Because I already own a substantially more expensive tesla K20X (as i have mentioned many times before on these forums), the K20X however is piss poor for gaming, so right now the configuration is the dual xeon server with the K20X networked as a render slave, then the two more versitile systems for myself and my wife to use for games, while assisting with gpu rendering when needed.

It's not rocket science, but it seems more like you want to push your agenda of "no matter what you say or what you use it for your gpus are a waste", which as i've illustrated, is quite stupid.

TheJimbo1234 said:

And yet, they don't.

the RRP of two GTX680 was $1 cheaper than the RRP of the 690, but in reality going SLI 680 panned out at being anywhere from $50 to $150 cheaper, yet consistantly performed better, and only used around 30W more power at maximum load, the same outcome is reflected in every dual GPU version compared to SLI of two cards of the same family, so you're just plain wrong.

NotStan said:

Tbh i think hes just raging because theres people on this forum that know what theyre talking about.

Nice choice btw, should last you quite well for the price.

So they are overpowered gaming rigs as I said because what game maxes out a single 780ti?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/asus-mars-760,review-32876-4.html

Everyone knows the Titan was an overpriced marketting gimmick from Nvidia. Buying one for any reason is a complete waste of money. You either go Quadro for work, or SLI much cheaper cards for better gains. 

Around the Network
NotStan said:

Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you won't be disappointed, and the game is good too.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Cheers, mainly power consumption was the key. And also the few benchmarks I've seen stated that it packed biggest punch for the price, so a perfect mid range card.

And I dont really want my psu to throw in a towel in a few months by opting something more beastly

TheJimbo1234 said:

So they are overpowered gaming rigs as I said because what game maxes out a single 780ti?

Everyone knows the Titan was an overpriced marketting gimmick from Nvidia. Buying one for any reason is a complete waste of money. You either go Quadro for work, or SLI much cheaper cards for better gains. 

One 780TI - struggles to hold 60fps in crysis 3 maxed out at 1400p, two - happily runs through it at 80fps+, three and I can utilize my 4K monitor at lovely framerates, on both the tri-780ti and the tri-titan black.

You either bring the money to the table for good framerates at 4K or you endure 30fps to slideshow framerates, I for one prefer to stay above 60 for locked vsync.

If you want to be a budget gamer, then by all means put up with the performance and microstutter of the 760 mars, on the other hand, you could buy a 780TI for the same price as the 760 mars, get slightly better framerates and have no microstutter because of the single gpu nature, with the added benefit of loss power consumption.

Or, if you simply must go with SLI 760, you can, for less money, just go with separate 760 cards and SLI them, and get slightly better performance than the 760 mars with the added benefit of your pc still being usable should one of them fail, if one of the gpus on a dual gpu card fails, its goodnight for the entire card.

the 760 mars youre championing is the same price as:

- A decent pair of single gpu 760's
- A decent 780TI

Both of which provide slightly better performance, so essentially the 760 mars is nothing but a marketing gimmick for Asus.

The entire purpose of the Titan is to give people who cannot afford, or do not want to buy, a $15,000+ cuda board, but want to have better double precision offered from mainstream cards, which the titan does, and does well - it might not touch the Teslas in that regard but costing 15x-25x less has its benefits too.

If you're going to continue your vendetta against high end cards and the titan range, at least understand why they actually exist, and that there are gamers out there that arent sat there with one 1080p or one 1400p display - gamers who see actual tangible benefits from running multiple high end boards - YOU may not see it as cost effective, YOU may not think its worthwhile, but at the same time, you arent gaming at 60fps+ in 4K, they, on the other hand, are.

lucidium said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

One 780TI - struggles to hold 60fps in crysis 3 maxed out at 1400p, two - happily runs through it at 80fps+, three and I can utilize my 4K monitor at lovely framerates, on both the tri-780ti and the tri-titan black.

You either bring the money to the table for good framerates at 4K or you endure 30fps to slideshow framerates, I for one prefer to stay above 60 for locked vsync.

If you want to be a budget gamer, then by all means put up with the performance and microstutter of the 760 mars, on the other hand, you could buy a 780TI for the same price as the 760 mars, get slightly better framerates and have no microstutter because of the single gpu nature, with the added benefit of loss power consumption.

Or, if you simply must go with SLI 760, you can, for less money, just go with separate 760 cards and SLI them, and get slightly better performance than the 760 mars with the added benefit of your pc still being usable should one of them fail, if one of the gpus on a dual gpu card fails, its goodnight for the entire card.

the 760 mars youre championing is the same price as:

- A decent pair of single gpu 760's
- A decent 780TI

Both of which provide slightly better performance, so essentially the 760 mars is nothing but a marketing gimmick for Asus.

The entire purpose of the Titan is to give people who cannot afford, or do not want to buy, a $15,000+ cuda board, but want to have better double precision offered from mainstream cards, which the titan does, and does well - it might not touch the Teslas in that regard but costing 15x-25x less has its benefits too.

If you're going to continue your vendetta against high end cards and the titan range, at least understand why they actually exist, and that there are gamers out there that arent sat there with one 1080p or one 1400p display - gamers who see actual tangible benefits from running multiple high end boards - YOU may not see it as cost effective, YOU may not think its worthwhile, but at the same time, you arent gaming at 60fps+ in 4K, they, on the other hand, are.

The 780ti is ober £100 more than a 760 Mars....

Also when did Quadro carfs become 10x more expensive than they are?

And it is still a waste. Gaming at 4k - why? What game honestly benefits immensely from that? Games have been held back for so long due to the consoles, buying high end for some time has been nothing but a waste.

Remember, if he's American there might be different prices across the atlantic compared to UK, so difference might be minuscule for them. Why are you arguing with each other if you have completely different set ups anyway?