By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Which graphics card should I pick up?

Man I wish lucidium could send me the leftover parts of his PCs builds :D

Off topic: Damn Mtgox was hacked, I lost my 2 bitcoins I was saving there :'( for buying new GPUs next year or so

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

Around the Network

The issue with the 290 and 290X vs the GTX 770 and 780 is that the 290 users more energy, has much more heat, and depending on mfg. generally has a larger PCB. In addition the 290's are super hard to find at MSRP due to bitcoin mining demand raising prices.

If you have a large case with good cooling and a hefty power supply, can find the 290/X at MSRP and get one with a non-stock cooler and have a power supply worth it's salt then it is a great choice.

When I got my card the price 990/x could not be found near MSRP for non-stock cooler model. So instead I got the GTX 770. I'm very happy with it and I paid some money for an upgrade program so I can upgrade to the GTX 870/880 at when that comes out for only the price difference vs what I paid at the register.