By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Which graphics card should I pick up?

NotStan said:

I have recently been talked out of purchasing Xbone by my gf

Spend the $500 you were going to use on the Xbox One and buy a GTX780, then when the PSU pops under the load, spend the $50 you were going to spend on a game, on a new PSU.

Around the Network

Thanks for the clarifications guys, waiting to get home to have a proper look at the benchmarks.

But if the psu pops under the load there is a chance it might fry either mobo or CPU?

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Yes, and the GPU too.

But don't worry, you don't have a no-brand, cheap PSU. You should be fine... and a good PSU would cost more than $50.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

@NotStan. How high is the PSU rated as? And brand? I personally wouldn't risk putting in a high power GPU in there without knowing the specifics, but thats me.

If in doubt you can scout around for a new one on websites like HUKD. Better safe than sorry. All else, GTX750 Ti isn't a bad choice. It should be able to handle any modern game you throw at it @1080p. Albiet the expense of a slight drop in performance.. i.e you may need to turn down a few options setting in games.

JEMC said:
Yes, and the GPU too.

But don't worry, you don't have a no-brand, cheap PSU. You should be fine... and a good PSU would cost more than $50.

Low end OCZ power supplies are terrible.

Around the Network
lucidium said:
JEMC said:
Yes, and the GPU too.

Really?

I've seen a few reviews of OCZ power supplies and they looked good. Or at least, not that bad.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
lucidium said:
JEMC said:
Yes, and the GPU too.

Really?

I've seen a few reviews of OCZ power supplies and they looked good. Or at least, not that bad.

The problem is reviews barely ever test longevity and just churn out the factory numbers, most reviews are done in a matter of days, more often in just hours, which isnt enough time to test long term stability.

Ive had a lot of power units die, some when i knew full well i was stressing them, others when they were well within operational limits, of the few that died under the later conditions, 80% of them were OCZ, all their various versions, modstream, gamer, etc.

I now stick entirely with corsair and antec mid to high end units.

Cheap units arent worth the shipping let alone the asking price, just a sure fire way to damage your system.

NiKKoM said:
Dump that woman who won't buy an XB1 for you!!

What he said

NotStan said:

Hello all, I have recently been talked out of purchasing Xbone by my gf, so I've decided to get a cheaper alternative instead - a graphics card update, and who better to ask than the biggest bunch of PC geeks I know  and love - Vgchartz.

But am not sure if I even need an update? At the moment I have GTX 550ti. It suffers some stutters in terms of FPS on newer games like Bioshock and a bit on Day Z. So to conclude, what sort of information I need to analyse before I consider a purchase of a new graphics card - motherboard, cpu etc and what would be the best mid range card to go for? (Around £100-£200)

R7 265 is a great deal, and so is the R7 260X.  However if I were you, I would wait at least a few months.  Graphics card prices are heavily inflated right now.  

P.S.  Ask "Tomshardware."  That is where all the experts are...

lucidium said:
NotStan said:

I have recently been talked out of purchasing Xbone by my gf

Spend the $500 you were going to use on the Xbox One and buy a GTX780, then when the PSU pops under the load, spend the $50 you were going to spend on a game, on a new PSU.

The 780 is very overpriced...