By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Which graphics card should I pick up?

TheJimbo1234 said:
NotStan said:
Ok I checked my PSU and its ocz model ocz-cxs500W

All I can read on the motherboard is its asus turbov

GTX 760 is a good deal for that price, however if AMD cards come down, they are better than Nvidia at the moment. I would also not upgrade your psu as there is no point with your other hardware.

BenVTrigger said:
Titan Black or 780ti

Ha - FAIL!!!

The Asus Rog Mars 760 beats both of those cards for £450.

Just because they have the highest price tag does not mean they are the best.

It's a dual GPU card, it would murder his PSU, besides it loses as many benchmarks as it wins.

BF3 -

BF4 -

Metro LL

SS: Blacklist

Batman origins -

The important part is the balance, when it wins, it doesn't win by much, when it loses, it loses by a lot, that combined with the added power usage of a dual GPU card, the fan noise from additional heat and the microstutter potential

That single card uses almost as much wattage as the guys PSU even allows.

I'll stick with my two systems (tripple titan black and tripple GTX780TI) instead, at least microstutter is greatly reduced with a three way setup :)

Around the Network
NotStan said:

Well the problem was the fact that it was a prebrought unit, so I didn't have a choice on the PSU matter. The first PSU which was even shittier(If that was even possible) has croaked within the year, so I had that replaced for the OCZ (By the manufacturer, again had no choice), which has still lasted a good 1.5 years. Am not entirely sure about high end GPU's because the prices are waaay out of my ballpark, and don't really want to replace my PSU soon afterward.

I think if anything, it's between 750ti

http://www.box.co.uk/MSI_NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_750Ti_Video_Graph_1553589.html?gclid=CLK_mLfH1rwCFYcSwwodM0QAjA

Or R9 270

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-xfx-radeon-r9-270-boost-28nm-5600mhz-gddr5-gpu-900mhz-boost-925mhz-1280-streams-dp-dvi-hdmi-plus

All I can say is that the R7 270 is substabtially stronger.  One more time: Wait for the rest of Maxwell to come out...

Captain_Tom said:
NotStan said:

Well the problem was the fact that it was a prebrought unit, so I didn't have a choice on the PSU matter. The first PSU which was even shittier(If that was even possible) has croaked within the year, so I had that replaced for the OCZ (By the manufacturer, again had no choice), which has still lasted a good 1.5 years. Am not entirely sure about high end GPU's because the prices are waaay out of my ballpark, and don't really want to replace my PSU soon afterward.

I think if anything, it's between 750ti

http://www.box.co.uk/MSI_NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_750Ti_Video_Graph_1553589.html?gclid=CLK_mLfH1rwCFYcSwwodM0QAjA

Or R9 270

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-xfx-radeon-r9-270-boost-28nm-5600mhz-gddr5-gpu-900mhz-boost-925mhz-1280-streams-dp-dvi-hdmi-plus

All I can say is that the R7 270 is substabtially stronger.  One more time: Wait for the rest of Maxwell to come out...

Do we even have a reliable time frame for the launch of those cards besides Q1 or Q2?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

lucidium said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
NotStan said:

GTX 760 is a good deal for that price, however if AMD cards come down, they are better than Nvidia at the moment. I would also not upgrade your psu as there is no point with your other hardware.

BenVTrigger said:
Titan Black or 780ti

Ha - FAIL!!!

It's a dual GPU card, it would murder his PSU, besides it loses as many benchmarks as it wins.

BF3 -

BF4 -

Metro LL

SS: Blacklist

Batman origins -

The important part is the balance, when it wins, it doesn't win by much, when it loses, it loses by a lot, that combined with the added power usage of a dual GPU card, the fan noise from additional heat and the microstutter potential

I'll stick with my two systems (tripple titan black and tripple GTX780TI) instead, at least microstutter is greatly reduced with a three way setup :)

I think that shows how many engines vary in quality as you should know twhich of those engines have crappy optimisation. Also got proof for those systems? Really? 

TheJimbo1234 said:
lucidium said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
NotStan said:

BenVTrigger said:
Titan Black or 780ti

Ha - FAIL!!!

I think that shows how many engines vary in quality as you should know twhich of those engines have crappy optimisation. Also got proof for those systems? Really? 

I have to agree with the other guy:  The 760 MARS is not worth the money.  If it was as expensive as a 780, I would say it was worth it for resolutions just below 1080p.  The fact is something as strong as a Titan needs far more than 2GB of memory, and SLI/Crossfire is not as reliable as a single card either (They probably will be within a couple generations though).

Around the Network
TheJimbo1234 said:

These pictures are from my build thread a few weeks ago, after discussion with CGIQuality and Permalite I caved and bought third cards for both systems just because.

The results vary in quality because of performance in SLI scaling for the engines, since the 760 MARS is basically two 760 in SLI it has the same issues, sli scaling and microstutter, a waste of money imo.

lucidium said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

These pictures are from my build thread a few weeks ago, after discussion with CGIQuality and Permalite I caved and bought third cards for both systems just because.

The results vary in quality because of performance in SLI scaling for the engines, since the 760 MARS is basically two 760 in SLI it has the same issues, sli scaling and microstutter, a waste of money imo.

Nice, though you are missing the other few thousands worth of gpus you stated.  But regardless, I think that sli in total is a waste of time and money, especially when you could have bought so much else with that. It is the definition of demininishing returns.

TheJimbo1234 said:
lucidium said:

Nice, though you are missing the other few thousands worth of gpus you stated.  But regardless, I think that sli in total is a waste of time and money, especially when you could have bought so much else with that. It is the definition of demininishing returns.

If SLI is a waste of time why are you championing a dual-gpu card that has to use SLI to run at full power?
Bolded for the "missing the other few thousands worth".

I use my machines for work, and the performance is highly beneficial to my workflow so there is no deminishing return for me.

lucidium said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
lucidium said:

If SLI is a waste of time why are you championing a dual-gpu card that has to use SLI to run at full power?
Bolded for the "missing the other few thousands worth".

I use my machines for work, and the performance is highly beneficial to my workflow so there is no deminishing return for me.

Dual chip gpus tend to always have better performance than native SLI. As for your work, it is still diminishing returns as you are buying top  end gpus.

TheJimbo1234 said:

Dual chip gpus tend to always have better performance than native SLI. As for your work, it is still diminishing returns as you are buying top  end gpus.

The cuda cores expontentially increase rendering speeds and allow for much more complex computation in a short amount of time, a large part of what my work entails, iray stacks sli cores beautifully and makes every bit of use of them as it possibly can.

Besides, I can pay for all three titan blacks with one weeks salary, so telling me buying these things for work will give me "diminishing returns" is absolutely laughable.