By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Which graphics card should I pick up?

Hello all, I have recently been talked out of purchasing Xbone by my gf, so I've decided to get a cheaper alternative instead - a graphics card update, and who better to ask than the biggest bunch of PC geeks I know  and love - Vgchartz.

But am not sure if I even need an update? At the moment I have GTX 550ti. It suffers some stutters in terms of FPS on newer games like Bioshock and a bit on Day Z. So to conclude, what sort of information I need to analyse before I consider a purchase of a new graphics card - motherboard, cpu etc and what would be the best mid range card to go for? (Around £100-£200)

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

Dump that woman who won't buy an XB1 for you!!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Post you motherboard and Power Supply

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

The biggest PC geeks will come in later, but meanwhile it will help them to know what CPU, how much RAM and what power supply you have. Also if you prefer Nvidia or AMD cards, or you don't care as long as they work.

But in that price range, you can go from Nvidia's GTX 750Ti to the GTX 760 or from AMD's R7 260X to the R9 270X.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
The biggest PC geeks will come in later, but meanwhile it will help them to know what CPU, how much RAM and what power supply you have. Also if you prefer Nvidia or AMD cards, or you don't care as long as they work.

But in that price range, you can go from Nvidia's GTX 750Ti to the GTX 760 or from AMD's R7 260X to the R9 270X.

Would it be worth upgrading from my current 550ti? I will find out my PSU and motherboard once am home.

Was going to pick up the £400 tintafall bundle until she reminded me that am in my final year of uni and getting a full time job soon, and that I game on my PC ALOT more these days, for once she's the one that made sense in the relationship.

Around the Network

doublepost

NotStan said:
JEMC said:

Would it be worth upgrading from my current 550ti? I will find out my PSU and motherboard once am home.

Was going to pick up the £400 tintafall bundle until she reminded me that am in my final year of uni and getting a full time job soon, and that I game on my PC ALOT more these days, for once she's the one that made sense in the relationship.

It will depend on your CPU, which if old may be a bottleneck, but just compare

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/02/18/nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-review/6

Even the 750Ti doubles the performance of your 550Ti in Bioshock Infinite.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

NotStan said:

doublepost

Pfft, more like a shameless bump!

How old is your PC? I don't really know too much, I do know that they'll need more info though.

Either the Radeon 270 and above or 760GTX and above.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Its 2 years old, purchased in 2012. It was a premade bundle that this company offered on the bay.

It has i7-2600k @ 3.4 Ghz, however it only has 8mb of ram, and the PSU is a bit shoddy - I just need to check how shoddy, and the motherboard too.

Is there any way to view the specs of motherboard and PSU without opening the actual case?