By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Which graphics card should I pick up?

supernihilist said:
660 Ti boost 3GB /thread
how much does it cost around there?

http://www.ebuyer.com/546253-exdisplay-exdisplay-gigabyte-gtx-660-ti-windforce2x-2gb-gddr5-dual-link-dvi-ebr2-gv-n66toc-2gd

Only 2GB, ex-display and still pretty pricey.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

Or I can import this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galaxy-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660-Ti-3GB-192-Bit-GDDR5-66INH7DV6KXZ-/301103532249?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item461b2b48d9

Quite reasonable price too.

However, import charges and shit, goes up to ~£180, so prices similar to UK anyway.

If it does not totally break your budget, for only 40 more you can get this one.
http://www.ebuyer.com/510172-gigabyte-gtx-770-2gb-gddr5-7000mhz-dual-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-card-gv-n770oc-2gd

Also, you do not need more than 2GB of memory on your video card unless you plan on running 3+ multiple monitors or a resolution higher than 1920x1080. Many hardware review sites have tested this and the difference on current games for a single screen is basically non-existent when increasing the frame buffer over 2GB

Raistline said:

Also, you do not need more than 2GB of memory on your video card unless you plan on running 3+ multiple monitors or a resolution higher than 1920x1080. Many hardware review sites have tested this and the difference on current games for a single screen is basically non-existent when increasing the frame buffer over 2GB

The key word here is current.

As gen goes on, engines will get more demanding and the extra memory could come in handy.

That said, having 2 or 3GB of memory shouldn't be the deciding factor.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I mean what is the fucking deal, I read somewhere that higher number = more powerful card. But in some instances it seems like the lower numbered ones are stronger, in NVIDIA case, not amd.

I saw a deal for 750ti for £125 which seems pretty decent but I think 760 is the most efficient in terms of g3d benchmark

And in the 99% of cases, a higher number means a more powerful card... in the same family of cards. The 750Ti may be as fast as the 660 (I think that's what you mean), but it is one generation apart, giving it an edge.

Also, the case of the 750 is different because unlike the rest of the 7 series of cards, it is based in the architecture of the (I hope) soon to come 8 series of cards. That's why it's an odd one.

By the way, the 750Ti is a new card, it was launched barely 2 weeks ago so if you can hold a little, do it. New products like this one, tend to launch with have a premium that will soon disappear, and the 750Ti has a MSRP of £114.99.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Yeah but 750ti even if recently released is still about 30-40% cheaper than 660

NotStan said:
I mean what is the fucking deal, I read somewhere that higher number = more powerful card. But in some instances it seems like the lower numbered ones are stronger, in NVIDIA case, not amd.

I saw a deal for 750ti for £125 which seems pretty decent but I think 760 is the most efficient in terms of g3d benchmark

GTX 660 is a good deal faster and is around the same price - in the UK. The only thing going for GTX 750Ti is how power efficient the architecture in the card (Maxwell) is; reference card runs at 60w and doesn't even need a 6-pin power connector. If you want to go AMD, take a look at R9 270x/HD 7870. Anything higher of course would be better, but that depends on how much you want to spend. Oh, and GTX 760 stomps on top of them all. The card performs slightly better than the GTX 660Ti iirc.

By the way.. you should look at the specs, not models numbers. Have a look at some benchmarks on different cards and go from there.

The whole 7xx seriesof cards , with the exception of the 780 (of course), have been cheaper than the 6xx series. The 770 was cheaper and faster than the 680, the same with the 760vs670 and now the 750vs660.

That's the benefit of having competition!