By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dispelling the myth: Vita haz no gaemz (24+ beg to differ) [challenging the boundaries of what counts as a "game"!]

I have been thinking about getting a Vita for awhile now, but am still not sure if I want to buy a system with no games.

Top 10 Games of All Time

1. The Last of Us, 2. Journey, 3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, 4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, 5. Bioshock Infinite, 6. Zelda: Twilight Princess, 7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, 8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 9. Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, 10. Starcraft

Add me on PSN. Thanks.

Around the Network
Geo said:

I have been thinking about getting a Vita for awhile now, but am still not sure if I want to buy a system with no games.

It does have youtube and a web browser, so who needs games?

I agree with you that people don't give the Vita enough credit for its library, however my problem with this thread has been done to death before and seems like a wasted effort because people would listen have already bought a Vita.

dane007 said:
@Mike Rox. You are forgetting 3ds has Riddddddddddddddge Racer! lol, Need for speed. http://www.nintendo.com/games/gameGuide
http://www.nintendo.com/games/gameGuide heres a list. There are but i can't remember all especialyl from DS as DS had lots of games.

The point is,, you gusy talk about the reason for why ps4 is selling and alot say because is more powerful ofr a cheaper price. Same goes for current gen comapre to Vita. Vita is seemed as portable home console there peopel compare the two. For most people,, portability is not enough. Why pay more a less powerful machine when you get more for less? Home consoles has better value for money and has a bigger library. Thats why 3ds is popular. Its underpowered compare to vbita but it has alot of games variety,, games that only come to 3ds plus is super cheap. In nz i can get a 2ds plus pokemon for 200nz plus. Where ps vita plus a game can easily be up to 500nzd . See the difference. thats not even including teh price of a memory card.

Plus a lot of people already have a big DS library and you can play the 1600 plus games from the said library on the 3DS.

Since I already took the pic, here's my collection (minus digital content, of course)!  Also, I'm gonna stop participating in those "Post your _____" threads.  All I ever do is mix up all of my carefully organized games.

Around the Network
dane007 said:
@Aerys answer me this can you get a 3D effect without glasses on your ps3 or xbox 360? Can either home console do 3d effect without glasses?

Sure they can, if the game supports stereoscopic 3D. Just connect the consoles with an autostereoscopic tv:

http://www.tridelity.com/3D-Displays.3d-displays.0.html

But I prefer 3D-TVs with polarisation... much cheaper and the glasses are so light, you forget wearing them after a few seconds. If you already have to wear glasses, a polarized clip-on is even less intrusive.

When people say "no games" it is more like an exaggeration of the situation as much as when people say Xbox 360 has no exclusives or Wii U has no third-party games. They obviously know that Vita has games but think not enough for them or the mass market to buy the handheld for.

I can not really argue about that because I don't know much about handhelds nowadays.

Conina said:
DerpSandwich said:
I don't count ports and multiplats, and that goes for any system. A system can have a hundred great games on it, but if you can get them all somewhere else then there just isn't a reason to get the system.

And I don't care, if a good game is also available on another platform. When I want to play a game outside of my home, a PS3-, Wii- or 360-version of the same game is no use to me. Neither is a PC version since I don't want to carry a laptop around.

As I said in the very next sentence, portability is one plus, but not one that I feel resonates with enough players for it to matter in the long run.  Then that ties in with my next point, which was that for each person who thinks the system is worth it, there are many others who just don't.  I don't feel that the convenience of gaming outside of the house is enough to carry the system.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

I'm quite happy with my game selection always available in my two pockets. Thanks to PS Plus, my Vita collection is very versatile... many great games I probably wouldn't have bought for full price, ended up to be my favorites.

On 3DS I mostly buy the games, I am 100% sure that I will like them: Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton and the most praised rest (Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing). Bravely Default and Pokemon X/Y will probably be the next, but no experiments for €40 in the 75% - 85% metascore-area.

And since I sold most of my physical PSP and DS games, it is great to get many of my PSP and PS1 favorites for a few bucks as digital versions... I love the PSN sales! Hopefully Nintendo will follow that strategy eventually and offer every good DS game as digital download for 3DS... I don't want to carry a bag of DS-modules around:

MikeRox said:

Anyway, yeah, the system is doomed, and it lacks big name exclusive IPs, but if you're a gamer, does "big name" really matter? Anyway, feel free to tear the games in the following pic apart, but if there isn't something to reach out to you and make you think yeah, I'd like a Vita, I wouldn't say you're as big on gaming as you might think :p

I think that what people are really saying is Vita has no big 3rd person action games that you can't find anywhere else that makes them want to delve into the system.    

Those types of games with their nicely detailed 3d rendered worlds are also the most expensive to produce.  Since larger publishers aren't investing in the platform those high quality 3rd person action games aren't on the Vita and it's left a huge void as to reasons to own it when compared to other platforms.  All of those games available on Vita are available on platforms that already have a following(Usually 80 or so million strong).  If they are already fine with those games on their respective platform why would they buy Vita for those games?  They can get them where they have been enjoying them just fine. That is why the games need to be exclusive as well as big name.   

I'll list some of PSPs best sellers and then PSV equivalents as best I can to illustrate my point:

GTA:LCS  -  N/A
GTA:VCS -  N/A
MHFU - Toukiden is good and growing but it would take a while to get the polish and content of Monster Hunter.  
MHF3 - Soul Sacrifice I think with the dark style they limited appeal as well as other unattractive design decisions
MHF2 - God Eater also available on PSP
MHF - Freedom Wars looks like they are getting close to the quality Hunting game 
Daxter - Jak & Daxter Collection is a poor port and not even orignal content
R&C:SM - Sly cooper is a port no new content
SAClank - Sly cooper collection port no new content
Crisis Core - Y's.  Not big name
KH:BBS -  Gravity Rush, exhilerating fun mechanic but overall repetitive and boring. not enough content
MGSPW -  MGS HD collection. no new content
SWBattleFront - Uncharted no mulitplayer.
GoW:CoO - God of War collection no original content
GoW:GS - N/A

Outside of the investments made in the hunting genre that slowly but surely seem to be paying off but not nearly as well as Monster Hunter it seems like they don't have any original content to bring to Vita of the type PSP gamers enjoyed.  At the time of release most of those games listed couldn't be found anywhere else but PSP. 

When they do have a reatail release for Vita they murder it by placing it next to huge games.  KZ came out like right before GTA5.  Tearaway came out 2 weeks before next gen and Neither got any advertising. Doesn't help the appearance of no games.  

I understand that indie games are games and are as enjoyable as AAA titles from time to time.  Without retail presence you can't expect customers at large to see that as a reason to invest in your platform outside of tiny subset of already very passionate gamers whom follow that kind of news.  That's a big part of the issue as well.  It doesn't help the appearance of no games.

All of these issues at the same time add up to the saying that inspired this thread.  It's like understanding a milkshake's job.  They don't understand the Job that the PSP performed to replicate it. It's easy for me to see when looking at the software that sold.  They provided new 3rd person action games in new worlds and adventures in many of their favorite universes.  Ports can't do that job.