By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does anyone still think Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. 4/Price Cuts/etc. will save Wii U? <(o_O<)

Wii U doomed to Gamecube-like sales?

Yep, sadly... 340 49.85%

No! Believe it! 340 49.85%

Total:680

Only Red Dead Redemption can save Wii U

Around the Network

Jeezus Salnax! That's too much text for me to read at this late hour! xD

If I got the jist of it, you're basically saying the Wii U will break it's current sales trends because it's like the N64? That didn't really work out well for the Gamecube!

Also, your plan is what Nintendo is already doing, being releasing games, cutting the price, and offering new SKUs. Seeing as that failed to have any long term effects last year despite SM3DW + Other games + Price Cut + New Bundles + Advertising + Holidays, they're gonna have to do something completely different to change the Wii U's trajectory now. Problem is who knows what they need to do, if they even can do anything at this point.

The question is, can Nintendo repeat the N64's limited success, as it is today?

You are ignoring N64 was powerful as hell back in that gen, you could only get games like Goldeneye, Mario 64 and Smash in that console, Wii U has no diference like that (the U gamepad is irrelevant)

archbrix said:
Salnax said:
etking said:

Dropping the tablet, cutting the price and buying 3rd party developers and exclusive games could easily save the Wii U. Nintendo could hand over some money to Rockstar, Bethesda, Blizzard and Square Enix and they would be more than happy to bring out all their upcoming AAA-Titles for Wii-U and port over the existing ones. Or even better, Nintendo could buy a small percentage of these companies and even EA's shares to ensure future support.

Sure, why not? Nintendo should be paying big bucks for what will almost certainly be dumbed down versions of games made for other platforms. And buying small portions of companies has worked so well for Nintendo in the past, like with Rare circa 2002, so that would also be a great idea!

And the gamepad is totally something that should be dropped! Even though it probably only adds about $50 to the price and is the system's main distinguishing feature. I bet what people really want is a low-end console with little AAA support that has nothing interesting about it!

Okay, that was a bit harsh of me. But I really think that what you're suggesting is a terrible collection of ideas.

I can respect your opinion on his suggestions, but there is no way that the Gamepad only adds about $50 to the retail price.

It probably adds more than $50 to the manufacturing cost but the retail price very possibly only $50. Its currently $299 sold at a loss, if they ditch the Gamepad I assume they would want to start making some profit so $249 would be a likely price point.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Einsam_Delphin said:

I think most of us have come to realize that the Wii U will be thankful just to pull Gamecube numbers, but is there anyone who still thinks a turnaround is possible? If so, post why you think so! Maybe it's something we've all overlooked!

How well does it have to sell weekly/yearly/lifetime in order to be "saved"?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

The only Wii U game I am interested in is the new Smash (it was pretty much the only game I played on the Wii).

The Wii U not selling so hot is going to work out for me, since I hope there is a price drop by the time Smash comes out.

On topic: I think that Smash and MK will cause a decent bump, but they won't save it

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Why do people keep saying the word "saving"? From 3rd place or complete and utter irrelevance?

From what does the Wii U need to be saved?

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Wright said:

I keep thinking that people overestimate Mario Kart. It will move units, but they won't make a difference in the long-term and it will be the worst selling MK ever.

Smash Bros, on the other hand. That might give WiiU a chance! :3

Yeah, but I think Smash Bros on 3DS as well will take away alot of sales for the Wii U

1doesnotsimply

Areym said:
Why do people keep saying the word "saving"? From 3rd place or complete and utter irrelevance?

From what does the Wii U need to be saved?

I have asked this in a few threads and never get an answer. At what point is it considered saved? 100k weekly baseline? Over 8 million per year? 40 million lifetime?

What do you mean by saved?

Something...Something...Games...Something