By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does anyone still think Mario Kart 8/Smash Bros. 4/Price Cuts/etc. will save Wii U? <(o_O<)

Wii U doomed to Gamecube-like sales?

Yep, sadly... 340 49.85%

No! Believe it! 340 49.85%

Total:680
DarkD said:
Rafux said:
DarkD said:

I think Wii U has lost this generation.  One or two games won't turn it around, most of the best games have come and gone.  Smash will boost it up for awhile, but unless the other consoles have a string of badluck, I don't see the Wii U doing anything great this generatoin...

however, I don't think Sony will be pulling off anything huge themselves. I say end of the gen, Sony has 70 mill at most. As far as console excitement goes, I would call it luke warm at best. There was another thread awhile ago saying that there were still PS4s all over the retail stores and they weren't moving that fast for a launch day console.

All this tells me is that only the super hardcore are picking up the system or that there's no fire under anyones but to buy one.

What? PS4 is outpacing PS3 by a huge margin if PS3 managed to reach 80M there's no way PS4 the record breaking console and current market leader can't pass 70M. We are practically March and the console is still sold out.

"As far as console excitement goes, I would call it luke warm at best", I hope your post is sarcasm.

Nope, I think last generation there was still a lot of excitement in the gaming world, but I just don't see it this generation.  Developers are dropping left and right and there's nothing amazing which is pulling in the casual gamers like the Wii did last generation.  I don't think any of the consoles will be performing that great this time.  

PS2 sold as great as it did because it had tonnes of games and a dvd player, and it came out early.  The DVD player caught the casual gamers as well as the huge variety of games.  I remember my classroom was buzzing in high school when Katamari Damacy was out.  Now what do we have, FPS games and Sports Games and Open World games.  

Wii sold as well as it did because of the motion controls.  People just had to try it.  It was fun as hell if you had a party going.  That's how that console spread so far in the casual market.  Word of mouth

PS4....  It has graphics and a really thin circle of games.  Don't bring up the indie market though.  Casual players have no clue how to even access the online shop.  Just getting them to turn on the system is an achievement in most cases.  I still have to show my family how the laser button works on the PS3, or that theres a power switch on the back, or how to delete old saves.  

Why are you ignoring hard cold facts? PS4 is breaking every record out there with "no games" yet you are saying it needs the casual market to pass 70M, PS4 is getting huge third party support and it became the "cool" console to have thanks to MS fuck ups that should be enough. PS3 reached 80M and it wasn't aimed at the casual audience. I'm talking only PS4 here.

Around the Network
Rafux said:
DarkD said:
Rafux said:
DarkD said:

I think Wii U has lost this generation.  One or two games won't turn it around, most of the best games have come and gone.  Smash will boost it up for awhile, but unless the other consoles have a string of badluck, I don't see the Wii U doing anything great this generatoin...

however, I don't think Sony will be pulling off anything huge themselves. I say end of the gen, Sony has 70 mill at most. As far as console excitement goes, I would call it luke warm at best. There was another thread awhile ago saying that there were still PS4s all over the retail stores and they weren't moving that fast for a launch day console.

All this tells me is that only the super hardcore are picking up the system or that there's no fire under anyones but to buy one.

What? PS4 is outpacing PS3 by a huge margin if PS3 managed to reach 80M there's no way PS4 the record breaking console and current market leader can't pass 70M. We are practically March and the console is still sold out.

"As far as console excitement goes, I would call it luke warm at best", I hope your post is sarcasm.

Nope, I think last generation there was still a lot of excitement in the gaming world, but I just don't see it this generation.  Developers are dropping left and right and there's nothing amazing which is pulling in the casual gamers like the Wii did last generation.  I don't think any of the consoles will be performing that great this time.  

PS2 sold as great as it did because it had tonnes of games and a dvd player, and it came out early.  The DVD player caught the casual gamers as well as the huge variety of games.  I remember my classroom was buzzing in high school when Katamari Damacy was out.  Now what do we have, FPS games and Sports Games and Open World games.  

Wii sold as well as it did because of the motion controls.  People just had to try it.  It was fun as hell if you had a party going.  That's how that console spread so far in the casual market.  Word of mouth

PS4....  It has graphics and a really thin circle of games.  Don't bring up the indie market though.  Casual players have no clue how to even access the online shop.  Just getting them to turn on the system is an achievement in most cases.  I still have to show my family how the laser button works on the PS3, or that theres a power switch on the back, or how to delete old saves.  

Why are you ignoring hard cold facts? PS4 is breaking every record out there with "no games" yet you are saying it needs the casual market to pass 70M, PS4 is getting huge third party support and it became the "cool" console to have thanks to MS fuck ups that should be enough. PS3 reached 80M and it wasn't aimed at the casual audience. I'm talking only PS4 here.

You think this is hot?  Do you know how long the Wii would last on store shelves when the store opened?  It didn't last at all, it vanished the moment the stores opened.  The only thing that held it back was the production limits.  Something the PS4 obviously took better care to prepare.  Every winning console in history has sold out of launch consoles, it's only a matter of how many they produce.  If they weren't selling out right now,  someone would be making a thread stating how doomed the console is....  

Understand now?  The fact that it lasts at all this early is a bad sign.  This is super-hardcore territory, the point where people should be sleeping outside of stores just to grab a copy.  

for people who keep asking for the definition of saved. its right there in the OP. Being saved from GC like sales.

oniyide said:
for people who keep asking for the definition of saved. its right there in the OP. Being saved from GC like sales.

No all he said is that it currently would be lucky to reach Gamecube sales, he never specified if thats the defining line between doomed and saved. If that Is what he meant, does that mean if Wii U sells 21.73m or less it wasnt saved but if it sells 21.75m or more its saved? How much higher does it need to sell over Gamecube to be considered saved? 25m? 30m? 40m?

The OP hasnt truly defined what his definition of saved is and until he actually does nobody can give a legitimate answer.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Nope there is just one thing that can save it and that is for Nintendo to bring out some games that actually make really good use of the gamepad and makes people want it.

Wii-U right know is like the Wii without any motion controlled game.

Also the way Wii-U is tracking now it isn't even going to make it to Gamecube level sales.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

No all he said is that it currently would be lucky to reach Gamecube sales, he never specified if thats the defining line between doomed and saved. If that Is what he meant, does that mean if Wii U sells 21.73m or less it wasnt saved but if it sells 21.75m or more its saved? How much higher does it need to sell over Gamecube to be considered saved? 25m? 30m? 40m?

The OP hasnt truly defined what his definition of saved is and until he actually does nobody can give a legitimate answer.

The Op asked if the console is "doomed to GC sales" pretty sure he is implying at least for him that those are doom numbers. I think its a fair question. Now it is not known what he would consider it to be saved. That is a good inquiry. IMHO i think it getting close to N64 numbers is being saved, but thats just me, but frankly its still below GC so i dont think thats going down.

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

The Op asked if the console is "doomed to GC sales" pretty sure he is implying at least for him that those are doom numbers. I think its a fair question. Now it is not known what he would consider it to be saved. That is a good inquiry. IMHO i think it getting close to N64 numbers is being saved, but thats just me, but frankly its still below GC so i dont think thats going down.

I just noticed the poll, so ur right GC level sales. But ya we still dont know how much higher it has to be in order to be saved.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

I just noticed the poll, so ur right GC level sales. But ya we still dont know how much higher it has to be in order to be saved.

fair enough

DarkD said:
Rafux said:
DarkD said:
Rafux said:
DarkD said:

You think this is hot?  Do you know how long the Wii would last on store shelves when the store opened?  It didn't last at all, it vanished the moment the stores opened.  The only thing that held it back was the production limits.  Something the PS4 obviously took better care to prepare.  Every winning console in history has sold out of launch consoles, it's only a matter of how many they produce.  If they weren't selling out right now,  someone would be making a thread stating how doomed the console is....  

Understand now?  The fact that it lasts at all this early is a bad sign.  This is super-hardcore territory, the point where people should be sleeping outside of stores just to grab a copy.  

Oh right lets compare it with the juggernaut that was the Wii's first years, a revolutionary console at 250$. Any console would look doomed compared to it.

Rafux said:
DarkD said:
Rafux said:
DarkD said:
Rafux said:
DarkD said:

Oh right lets compare it with the juggernaut that was the Wii's first years, a revolutionary console at 250$. Any console would look doomed compared to it.

Not just the Wii, PS2 was just as bad.  Every generation the winning console sells out for months, that's old news.  Not to mention you're the one who talked about record breaking sales regardless of how meaningless that is....  Either you didn't realize record breaking was a ridiculous concept to use in this context or you really thought it could compare with any other generation.

The only measure of demand we have is 

1) how many and how much they go for on ebay

2) how long do they stay stocked on store shelves

3) how much are they covered in mainstream news.  

You didn't mention any of those....